Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Time for PGF to Give Texas Qualifier to Glory in Dallas

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:
I think fastpitchforever was referring to Texas teams. Impact Gold, not going to PGF even after getting an invite. Sudden Impact, Houston Power, Texas Eclipse, Texas Magic all did not even attempt to qualify for PGF in Houston.

So does that mean ASA Gold is just a TX tournament? ;)

LOL It would if ASA invited teams to the ASA Gold nationals, and nearly 50% of those invited teams were from Texas. :o

Or, if deals were cut to host tournaments in their parts of the world.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CULater » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:55 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:
I think fastpitchforever was referring to Texas teams. Impact Gold, not going to PGF even after getting an invite. Sudden Impact, Houston Power, Texas Eclipse, Texas Magic all did not even attempt to qualify for PGF in Houston.

LOL It would if ASA invited teams to the ASA Gold nationals, and nearly 50% of those invited teams were from Texas. :o

You mean like NW Bullets, East Cobb Bullets, Grapettes, Impact Gold hosting qualifiers and also awarded berths to the National Tournament? C'mon now, those deals are cut all the time, you can't single ASA out when PGF is doing it too.
CULater

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:06 pm

CULater wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:

You mean like NW Bullets, East Cobb Bullets, Grapettes, Impact Gold hosting qualifiers and also awarded berths to the National Tournament? C'mon now, those deals are cut all the time, you can't single ASA out when PGF is doing it too.

Can you say Midland? Consider ASA singled out. Ohh, and enjoy your tournament!
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:32 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:

You keep referring to Midland. How many times have you been there?
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by CULater » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 am

Trophy Hunter wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:

That is his go to argument when someone provides him with a valid counterpoint to his position.
CULater

by Trophy Hunter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:01 am

His position seems to be on his knees with his nose firmly entrenched up PGF's butt cheeks. :lol:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by WHAT THE » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 am

I was at Dyess Park watching the 14u and 16u teams. Fields were horrible. Who ever chaulked the fields for Saturday morning games must have done it in the dark with a few brews! Field #1 specifically. Not one field dragged after each game, only a rake to home plate. But the worst thing was the snack bar for the girls! All they had was water, soda, gatorade, and CHOCOLATE! REALLY! If you didnt bring food for your players, a melted chocolate bar is all they had to offer! SAD!
WHAT THE

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 am

Trophy Hunter wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
CULater wrote:

Not really. I get lots of suggestions from ASA and from PGF on this discussion.

My thing is that ASA tournament process has never made any sense. Why have a 10 day, 160 team dog show in an impossible to travel to location, with jacked hotel rates, a drip drip drip schedule that completely collapses at the first sight of rain.

It did not make any sense 10 years ago. Then when the economy tightened and ASA responded by raising hotel rates and lengthening tournaments because ASA was hurting for cash, it became clear.

PGF merely offered a reasonable option.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Spazsdad wrote:While I can find things on both sides to find fault with I have to call BS on you always claiming ASA is a 10 day tournament.
I have been to ASA Nationals 7 times and every time games start on Monday and at best you are done the next Sunday if you play through. Most teams are out by Friday or Saturday.
By my math that is 7 days. Sure there are travel days on either end but that is the case with any tournament.

Hmmm. Johnson City from Seattle. No flights that land before 6pm. Closest city is Charlotte.

Remember you were always on teams that had berths carried over from previous years, so you are able to book flights year in advance to Bristol. You get your berth after June 1 like the rest of the world Bristol will be $1100.

So you land in Charllotte, stay a night in Charlotte, then 4+ hours out to Johnson City next morning.

So you flight out Saturday, drive Sunday from Charlotte to Johnson City, get signed in. Monday is first games. Sunday afternoon was championships. You drive 4 hours back to Charlotte Sunday evening. On a plane Monday. So that is Saturday to Monday. Which is 9 solid days. That is travelling hard. Kids and parents will be complaining about being rushed around on that schedule.

College Station, Midland they are all the same. If you are booking year in advance, you may be able to fly to the town, but most teams receive their berth June 1.

Compare it to PGF this year. Flew in on Monday, First game was Monday evening. We were on the plane back home Thursday. Half the time away from work, half the time in hotels, and half the money on rental cars. That is 3 nights in a hotel.

Let's look at sum total cost. $100 in hotel, $40 in rental car, 100$ in food and couple of K per day of work missed. 6 days hotel and rental car. Just looking at expense hotel, food and car, ASA is $1440 more than PGF, for one player. For average team of 12, that is $17,280.

We have done this before. And my historical records say there is a big difference between the two.

And oh, BTW, ASA is much better now with PGF competition because they are no longer charging double on a hotel rooms.

Add in the Women that passed out and knocked her head at College Station and was hauled off in ambulance. Add in the air conditioner that did not work for one of our families in Midland. Add in thunderstorm redirecting late evening flight to Atalanta to Huntsville, which made us miss a connection, with no hotels and no rental cars, so we had 6 families sleep the night on the floor.

But that is not even the bad part, for us. The bad part for us is that Parents/families from our area do not know the nationals experience. So you are going to take a kid sitting 10 or 11 on your roster, fly them on a 9 day adventure filled excursion. And then not play their kid in the one drip drip game you had that day. I know you were always on big name teams from Ca, and families knew what to expect and basically went along. From our area, they go insane. I have seen them throw sandwiches at coaches, I have seen melt tires on rental cars in parking lots, I have seen them try to clip coaches with mirrors.

None of that adventurous stuff ever happens when going to PGF. You fly in, you play, you go home. Every time. Weather is great. Airport is accessible. Tournament is well run. People are not so overly invested time and money wise that they have to destroy sandwiches and rental cars.

You guys can keep enjoying your experience with ASA, I will continue to point out why PGF exists. Hopefully some day ASA will listen. But until they do, PGF is a nice alternative.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 am

Nothing blanket about real costs. I have never paid under $600 to go to an ASA national tournament. Always booked in mid June, right when we receive our berth. Always had a 4+ hour drive from airport to host city. That is what adds the extra days of travel.

Even in Roseville that year, it was 4 hours after landing. So a team from the East would have 6 hours flight, then ~3 hours, if you miss San Francisco traffic, drive. Why not have a system in place that prefers San Jose, 20 minutes. Then a team from the east could have a single days travel.

The issue is not that it is easy from Seattle to LA. Let's review:
1) It is that is easy from a city with a major airport to a city with a major airport. Lot's of flight options, prices usually stay reasonable over the likely booking periods.
2) It is easy when the city has lot's of hotel options, not a small block of hotels that collude to jack prices.
3) It is easy when the tournament is held with a reasonable number of teams.
4) It is easy when your national body has not been taken over to serve the political interests of two cities, Johnson City and Midland TX.
5) It is easy when PGF actually listens to coaches.
6) It is easy when the tournament is held with a reasonable number of teams.
7) It is easy when PGF gets championship games shown on TV.

I really don't care if it is LA, Atlanta, St. Louis, Charlotte, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Indianapolis, OKC, Tampa, Miami, Boston, Philly, Cincinnati ..... Any of the 100 nice cities of the US that has a reasonably sized airport.

Only reason to run things the way ASA does is to maximize profits and because you only listen to umpires and umpires like free samwiches and beer.

So, again, you are free to pick the nationals you want to attend. I am happy that PGF has listened to the rest of us. Certainly no one should be surprised PGF was formed, and it is liked.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch