Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Why are so few berths being given at PGF Qualifiers?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Battle wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:I can tell you that almost a 1/3 of the teams at ASA 18 Gold in San Diego last year were from CA.

Wasn't it 16 out of 64. That is 1/4. What else are you inflating? :lol:

Oh wait, I spoke too soon.

Try 15 out of 49. That's 31% or nearly a third.

Would you like to be enlightened on the numbers from the 90's?

You should quit while you're only way behind.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Battle wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:I can tell you that almost a 1/3 of the teams at ASA 18 Gold in San Diego last year were from CA.

No I am wrong on the exact numbers. Several teams tie for 49th but you are correct that there are 64 teams, not 49.

However, the point is still the same. The percentage in the 90's was as high as 67% (2/3) and then came down over the last 20 years.

Is PGF really so different than ASA in this regard?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 1prouddad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 pm

I really didn't intend for this to become a pissing match between the two of you, but I do realize that it is Heybucket ;)
I was hoping that someone in the know, such as JMO, would have an answer.
I do understand invites, and they don't bother me, but if you're going to have qualifiers, you do need to have more than 2-3 berths.
1prouddad

by CULater » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Battle wrote:

No I am wrong on the exact numbers. Several teams tie for 49th but you are correct that there are 64 teams, not 49.

However, the point is still the same. The percentage in the 90's was as high as 67% (2/3) and then came down over the last 20 years.

Uhhh yes PGF is really different that ASA in that regard. ASA limited the number of SoCal teams that could qualify for Gold Nationals....PGF doesn't. I am not saying either is better, just stating that with regards to the total number of SoCal teams competing at the national tournament PGF could always have a higher percentage because ALL of the qualifiers are national qualifiers and anyone can attend. ASA berths are limited by location, assuming the region fills their minimum required registered teams.
CULater

by Battle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:No I am wrong on the exact numbers. Several teams tie for 49th but you are correct that there are 64 teams, not 49.

There is nothing wrong with PGF and there is nothing wrong with ASA. Both are doing what they feel is best for their sanction. It's a free market and both are good for softball. As I said earlier before your insults towards me, I wish there was a true national champion but there is not since the split.

Does this mean I own you and will I have to pay property tax on you now and if not please let me know when I'm unowned...I'm starting to feel abused...Just kidding... :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm

1prouddad wrote:I really didn't intend for this to become a pissing match between the two of you, but I do realize that it is Heybucket ;)
I do understand invites, and they don't bother me, but if you're going to have qualifiers, you do need to have more than 2-3 berths.

Sorry...I really didn't intend to turn this into a PGF/ASA debate. I posted and then realized what it was going to become and tried to edit but was too late. When am I going to learn to keep my big mouth shut? My wife says never... :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by wichita » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 pm

jmo wrote:2011 HS Division
37 out of 67 from out of state

2011 16U Division
26 out of 64 from out of state.

2011 14U Division
15 out of 42 from out of state.

Not sure where you get 90%.

Ok that was just an estimate off the top of my head so I'll give you that but still according to your figures above we still have a total of 95 teams from cali and the rest of the "nation" has 77 teams now I'm not a genius or anything but how is this considered a national? now I agree that there will be more colleges represented here than at the ASA nats and there's more quality teams in So Cal and ASA nats might have to many teams but come on we have 10 berths that play their way in and 80 that get a free ride ....give me a break. I would understand if we had say 60 berths in So Cal that were earned by qualifying for them in say 5-6 qualifiers and 5-10 berths earned in Nor Cal and Cen Cal then you had 20 invites to give out to the most deserving teams that didn't make the cut I can see that but the way it is now is like having the super bowl in Cowboy Stadium and giving an invitation to the Dallas Cowboys and the rest of the teams have to play there way in. And before you fellow softballers start bashing the cowboys I already know they suck lol
Going....going.....gone......
wichita

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 am

CULater wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Battle wrote:

Uhhh yes PGF is really different that ASA in that regard. ASA limited the number of SoCal teams that could qualify for Gold Nationals....PGF doesn't. I am not saying either is better, just stating that with regards to the total number of SoCal teams competing at the national tournament PGF could always have a higher percentage because ALL of the qualifiers are national qualifiers and anyone can attend. ASA berths are limited by location, assuming the region fills their minimum required registered teams.

That's a fair point and one that definitely shows that Premier is more interested in getting the cream of the crop no matter from which state a team hails. However, your point is about possible results and mine is in regards to actual figures. You can argue which is the right method to get there, but at this point PGF is achieving similar percentages of CA to non-CA teams to what ASA did when they started their 18 Gold championship, and getting to the non-CA dominated percentages more quickly.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 am

Battle wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:No I am wrong on the exact numbers. Several teams tie for 49th but you are correct that there are 64 teams, not 49.

There is nothing wrong with PGF and there is nothing wrong with ASA. Both are doing what they feel is best for their sanction. It's a free market and both are good for softball. As I said earlier before your insults towards me, I wish there was a true national champion but there is not since the split.

Does this mean I own you and will I have to pay property tax on you now and if not please let me know when I'm unowned...I'm starting to feel abused...Just kidding... :lol:

Battle, I apologize for the insults. I enjoy our little "battles", but should not allow it to get at all personal.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 am

Battle wrote:
1prouddad wrote:I really didn't intend for this to become a pissing match between the two of you, but I do realize that it is Heybucket ;)

Sorry...I really didn't intend to turn this into a PGF/ASA debate. I posted and then realized what it was going to become and tried to edit but was too late. When am I going to learn to keep my big mouth shut? My wife says never... :lol:

My wife says the same thing. Maybe (gulp) you and I aren't so different?

Maybe someday we'll run into each other at a national tournament and talk PGF and ASA over a couple of beers while our wives talk about how we can never shut up about softball?

Naaahh! :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch