Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF bringing in the best

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Old Darter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 am

Safebyahare wrote:PS Old Darter, I only know from my experience with my daughter that the many things I give her get over looked or do not have as much value as the things she has earned or done herself. Example: bought her many bats, but she loves the one she bought! I do not back off of the statement of things earned are better than thoughs given. Another example could be used. If I buy her a car, she will drive it till it dies. If she buys a car, and has to make payments, she will take care of it,ect.
If we were given a berth,,yes they would take it, but will they play the same as if they earned it??? I do enjoy the shit eating grin on her face, and other girl faces when the team upsets another.
Final example.... Which team would have more pride.
Team Alpha wins every game and takes the quick way to victory. OR
Team Bravo falls into losers bracket at the gate, takes long road to victory.
Both teams would stand proud, but team Bravo would have a shit eating grin, with fight and love of game.

I don't disagree that things earned are more satisfying than things given, it builds character and can eventually produce champions. One of the reasons I beliieve that pool play should be done away with in favor of double elimination tournaments.

That said, what makes you think those teams who got invites haven't earned them? Because they didn't play a qualifier THIS year? Truth is teams, coaches or organizations EARN their reputations every year...for their performance EVERY weekend.... not just the weekend of a particular qualifier. If these teams were not consistently top performing teams, PGF would not invite them. To do so is contrary to the very competitive goal of PGF. Inviting teams who have not CONSISTENTLY EARNED the reputation of being a top program only dilutes the product PGF is so proud of. Inviting those who have, not only ensures that the best teams in the country will be there (for those who are always saying they want to play the best, this shouldn't cause them issue), but also means they will get recruiting attendance. And if you take the strongest teams out of the qualifiers, doesn't that give more teams a chance to earn their spots? From the list I've seen, all of those teams would have qualified anyway, perhaps eliminating a team who isn't top 20, but is good enough to compete as one of the top 64 or so teams in the country.

Will they play as hard? They damn well better....and the really top tier teams (the invitees) do. Again, they play hard every weekend, that's what EARNED them the invitation! Teams who would even speculate that about themselves shouldn't be playing in a National Championship anyway.
Old Darter

by dodgerblue » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

I don't disagree that things earned are more satisfying than things given, it builds character and can eventually produce champions. One of the reasons I beliieve that pool play should be done away with in favor of double elimination tournaments.

That said, what makes you think those teams who got invites haven't earned them? Because they didn't play a qualifier THIS year? Truth is teams, coaches or organizations EARN their reputations every year...for their performance EVERY weekend.... not just the weekend of a particular qualifier. If these teams were not consistently top performing teams, PGF would not invite them. To do so is contrary to the very competitive goal of PGF. Inviting teams who have not CONSISTENTLY EARNED the reputation of being a top program only dilutes the product PGF is so proud of. Inviting those who have, not only ensures that the best teams in the country will be there (for those who are always saying they want to play the best, this shouldn't cause them issue), but also means they will get recruiting attendance. And if you take the strongest teams out of the qualifiers, doesn't that give more teams a chance to earn their spots? From the list I've seen, all of those teams would have qualified anyway, perhaps eliminating a team who isn't top 20, but is good enough to be recognizes as one of the top 64 or so teams in the country.

Will they play as hard? They damn well better....and the really top tier teams (the invitees) do. Again, they play hard every weekend, that's what EARNED them the birth! Teams who would even speculate that about themselves shouldn't be playing in a National Championship anyway.

Nah, don't agree with you on invites. It seems based on past reputations from years ago. Go back and look at the 2011 highlights you will see alot of these teams weren't as competitive as you might think. Alot of these teams haven't been to a qualifier in years and have not performed well in the tournament. Make it fair is all I'm saying, everybody minus the top 10-12 teams that placed in the previous year have to go to a qualifier and earn it. If these invited teams go out and beat everybody in the qualifier so be it but I will put my money on the uninvited teams will come out of those qualifiers. Are you that scared that you won't get a good turnout? PGF is supposed to be the best product out there. JMO
dodgerblue

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Ok, sorry, but to continually give a team a berth because of the use of the fields is stupid. Especially when they don't even compete. I believe that givng the teams berths based on performance last year is well deserved.
Sftbll4ever

by TexasYellowBall » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Why invite at all at this point. . . Why not just make everyone qualify, then it becomes a real national championship. Then we know everyone is good. Dodgerblue is correct, just because you were good in 2010 does not mean you are good in 2011. I am not even sure the 2010 Champ should get in. What other national sport does this with 30 teams. What other national sports lets the previous Champion back in the next year.
TexasYellowBall

by ontheblack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

If they finished top 6, yes. But there was no reason to extend any invites to a single SoCal team. They were all planning on playing in the qualifiers anyways.

Invites based on Org reputation is silly. In 14s, SCA's have one returning player on a team that would lose to last years team 8 out of 10 times. The same is true of PS96 in 16s.

PGF needs to end the at large invites and expand the number of qualifying berths.
ontheblack

by jonriv » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 pm

ontheblack wrote:If they finished top 6, yes. But there was no reason to extend any invites to a single SoCal team. They were all planning on playing in the qualifiers anyways.

Invites based on Org reputation is silly. In 14s, SCA's have one returning player on a team that would lose to last years team 8 out of 10 times. The same is true of PS96 in 16s.

PGF needs to end the at large invites and expand the number of qualifying berths.

Agreed- probably would make sense to increase the number and size of qualifiers- truly try to seek out the Best teams from all regions. Regional qualifiers should be limited to teams in that region.. That is if they truly want to make it a National Championship
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Yeah. Except they tried exactly that last year, and GA and FL, as an example did not attend the qualifier. This year with a couple of teams invited from those areas, and interest is up a lot.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:59 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Yeah. Except they tried exactly that last year, and GA and FL, as an example did not attend the qualifier. This year with a couple of teams invited from those areas, and interest is up a lot.

I understand the out of state invites. I dont see the need to invite Cal teams who have been saying since late August that their primary goal is to attend Premier.
ontheblack

by CheckWriter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:16 pm

What other national sport does this with 30 teams.

Uh ... the NCAA?
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by thebambino » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Ridiculous to invite so many teams from last years results. We all know how much player turnover there is especially on certain "known" teams. :lol: TOO many invites, TOO
little berths. :x
thebambino

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch