Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF bringing in the best

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by CheckWriter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Would you care to elaborate on what NCAA sport invites teams to their respective National Championship based on the prior year or past years performance?

I guess you have more insight than I because I certainly don't understand all the selections for softball and basketball. Whole industry in trying to figure it out (at least for basketball). Got me on that one.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:31 am

Perhaps they need some form of "BCS" system??? :)

TCS had a ranking system- although it was self-reported and had some flaws, the concept seemed pretty good.

I think right now PGF has a dilemma- they need a minimum attendance to ensure they have fields etc...., they also need some incentive for organizations to hold the qualifiers- this causes the "invites" and will probably be part of the equation for at least the near future.

What I would like to see is more qualifiers and those qualifiers be limited to the specific geographic areas they are held. For instance- the Northeast Qualifier is relatively unknown to all but a few Northeast organizations and appears to be attended by almost as many out of region teams as in region. PGF needs to do a better job outside of its power areas(CA,AZ & TX) and get the word out. It might attract some very capable(yet unknown) teams and improve what is already an excellent product. JMO
jonriv

by Old Darter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

CheckWriter wrote:
Would you care to elaborate on what NCAA sport invites teams to their respective National Championship based on the prior year or past years performance?

I guess you have more insight than I because I certainly don't understand all the selections for softball and basketball. Whole industry in trying to figure it out (at least for basketball). Got me on that one.

The softball selection committee relies heavily on final season RPI, which weights wins/losses based on strength of schedule, which is why the Pac-12 always sends so many teams. Most teams entire season schedule is not as tough as the Pac-12 conference schedule.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi ... Brpi1.html

AS for the PGF invites, I would make the suggestion that perhaps PGF do the following:
1. 1-10 finishers receive automatic returns if they meet the exisitng eligibility requirements
2. Any team finishing 11-20 is eligible for a following year invite, if PGF determines invites are necessary or warranted. Although not automatic, in order to receive an invite these teams must meet the eligibilty requirements as in #1.
3. Any invited team who doesn't finish in the top 20 are ineligible for an invite the following year.
Old Darter

by OLB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

I am surprised at the number of invites at 16U, I would think everyone would be trying to get there and that should result in plenty of teams.
Last edited by OLB on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLB

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Old Darter wrote:
CheckWriter wrote:

The softball selection committee relies heavily on final season RPI, which weights wins/losses based on strength of schedule, which is why the Pac-12 always sends so many teams. Most teams entire season schedule is not as tough as the Pac-12 conference schedule.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi ... Brpi1.html

AS for the PGF invites, I would make the suggestion that perhaps PGF do the following:
1. 1-10 finishers receive automatic returns if they meet the exisitng eligibility requirements
2. Any team finishing 11-20 is eligible for a following year invite, if PGF determines invites are necessary or warranted. Although not automatic, in order to receive an invite these teams must meet the eligibilty requirements as in #1.
3. Any invited team who doesn't finish in the top 20 are ineligible for an invite the following year.

Clearly the challenge is in geographic distribution. For now that will likely be a part of their equation.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 pm

jonriv wrote:Perhaps they need some form of "BCS" system??? :)

TCS had a ranking system- although it was self-reported and had some flaws, the concept seemed pretty good.

I think right now PGF has a dilemma- they need a minimum attendance to ensure they have fields etc...., they also need some incentive for organizations to hold the qualifiers- this causes the "invites" and will probably be part of the equation for at least the near future.

What I would like to see is more qualifiers and those qualifiers be limited to the specific geographic areas they are held. For instance- the Northeast Qualifier is relatively unknown to all but a few Northeast organizations and appears to be attended by almost as many out of region teams as in region. PGF needs to do a better job outside of its power areas(CA,AZ & TX) and get the word out. It might attract some very capable(yet unknown) teams and improve what is already an excellent product. JMO

In our area a couple of teams have stepped up to be the PGF teams. The rest are basically B teams at this point. I suspect PGF is hoping to repeat that in other areas of the country.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 1998_superstar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Well I know the 3 14u's from Ga. that were invited are thrilled and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Cannot wait to get out West. 97 Ga. Impact, 97 Atl. Vipers and 98 Ga. Elite (Formerly 98 Worth Cobras). :D
1998_superstar

by Old Darter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:53 pm

:D
Old Darter

by Midwest » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Up in the Midwest area, PGF has done there home work. Of what I know of the 14u teams the Indiana team which did Qualifie in the fall for PGF have the stud pitcher everyone wants. She is tall and throws hard, easy low 60's. The reat of the team is also solid both fielding and hitting. Saw one other pitcher and she threw well also.
The team from Illinois won the 13u USSSA World Series last year for the West region. Solid team when they bat their best 9-10 in a game. This past fall they batted their entire line up of 14 in the few games I saw. Solid pitching, they have played at 43' for the last year and a half. All have a lot of movement.
The Ohio Chill, saw play a few times in a weekend. They too have great pitching and good defense. Though they lacked hitting that weekend. But that happens to everyone. Don't know about other OH. team
Midwest

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch