Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 2012 12U

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by 4girlsmom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 am

3'sDad wrote:9 pages and counting on the 12U tournament, 4 pages on 14U and 11 pages of discussion & review of the 16 & 18 y/o event last season.

12 U guys. National tournament is important to all. Would I have preferred to attend a naional in SoCal - YES - the weather is better, more activities outside of softball, easy flights. Its about the experience at this age.

9 pages on 12U......wait till next year when PGF has 10U as well...........
4girlsmom

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm

First year PGF 18's 3 or four top teams went with ASA. Now, all the top teams go to pgf nationals. One of those first year hold outs was the EC Bullets. You can watch what they posting now (second video) on this link http://eastcobbfastpitch.net/# Basically they are saying to play the best of the best, you go PGF.

Last year was PGF's first at 14's and 12's and there were a few holdouts. This year it is shaping up to be all the good teams at PGF. Not totally a done deal, but pretty close.

Teams realized they were going to ASA and eating a ton of crazy crapola from ASA. ASA set up some crazy political system that originally may have had some democratic leanings. Lately seems to be largely focused on funneling maximum cash into Johnson City TN and Midland TX hotel coffers, and getting a few free samwiches and some beers for blue. That all came with major headaches in travel logistics, loads of cost, long drawn out, often rained out 160 team affairs. ASA became about everything except the game.

Economy tightened and ASA actually felt it was a good time to really turn the screws to the parents. Things are tough and they had to get their money from somewhere. As with a lot of quasi-governmental organizations, ASA followed it's natural course to extreme bloat and bureaucracy. Thing is, even if PGF stays in the game, ASA will still make a pretty good comeback. Once the profit takers realize they have to go to volleyball or soccer to pull their stupid ripoff, ASA will heal.

It just got to a point where a group of teams got together and said enough is enough. Funny thing is ASA often tries to categorize PGF as evil, when it really is just a group of past ASA teams/customers.

Anyway, once 14U teams realize PGF is going to be way easier, limited to top 64 teams in the country, and actually feature all of the best of the best except one or two hold outs, they will be going to PGF.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ridinsuicide » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 am

Yes gentlemen, the scouts at a 12U tournament was a sarcastic comment!!! Come on, really?? Sure, my daughter does the camps, clinics, etc... However, I am fully aware that as much as she loves it now and as good as she is, in 2-3 years she may not want to look at a softball field!! Which is ok too, it's her decision.... My point was simply that PGF is a looooong way to travel to play a handful of great teams, when we can travel half the distance and play SEVERAL great teams from across the country. Especially at 12U... If we were 16's and 18's and our girls were at the final stages of recruitment, we may be traveling where the scouts are, wherever that may be!!...lol
Alwaysimprove, I believe you wrote, "Last year was PGF's first at 14's and 12's and there were a few holdouts. This year it is shaping up to be all the good teams at PGF. Not totally a done deal, but pretty close.". Well not quite my friend, we feel pretty strong that our team will compete against anyone in the country in our respective age group (people on here from the south and southeast i believe can verify that) and our team will be at ASA, looking forward to facing great competition. So, maybe not ALL THE GOOD TEAMS huh??..lol. Maybe most of the "known organizations" are planning to attend PGF, which is wonderful. Again, I wish ALLL the teams good luck at whichever "Nationals" they decide to play!!!!
Alwaysimprove, I take it your team is attending 12U PGF this year??
ridinsuicide

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 am

ridinsuicide wrote:Yes gentlemen, the scouts at a 12U tournament was a sarcastic comment!!! Come on, really?? Sure, my daughter does the camps, clinics, etc... However, I am fully aware that as much as she loves it now and as good as she is, in 2-3 years she may not want to look at a softball field!! Which is ok too, it's her decision.... My point was simply that PGF is a looooong way to travel to play a handful of great teams, when we can travel half the distance and play SEVERAL great teams from across the country. Especially at 12U... If we were 16's and 18's and our girls were at the final stages of recruitment, we may be traveling where the scouts are, wherever that may be!!...lol
Alwaysimprove, I believe you wrote, "Last year was PGF's first at 14's and 12's and there were a few holdouts. This year it is shaping up to be all the good teams at PGF. Not totally a done deal, but pretty close.". Well not quite my friend, we feel pretty strong that our team will compete against anyone in the country in our respective age group (people on here from the south and southeast i believe can verify that) and our team will be at ASA, looking forward to facing great competition. So, maybe not ALL THE GOOD TEAMS huh??..lol. Maybe most of the "known organizations" are planning to attend PGF, which is wonderful. Again, I wish ALLL the teams good luck at whichever "Nationals" they decide to play!!!!
Alwaysimprove, I take it your team is attending 12U PGF this year??

My team is a little older. For us in this area, the 12U A teams are all trying to get a berth to PGF. Those that fail to get a berth become, in effect, become B teams. Same thing that happened to 18's and 16's.

Enjoy Moline, it is pretty country side.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ridinsuicide » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am

Wait, NO TEAM IN 12U????? It's what I figured!!!!
And, if you want MY opinion, it seems that PGF may be a little about the money also, how many berths did they "GIVE" this year in 12U???? What, worried not enough teams will honestly EARN a berth, therefore possibly losing interest or entry fees????? Come on man, you cant honestly believe that neither one is about the money!! They are both businesses, it's what they do....and, you can't honestly be that naive....to think that if you don't earn a PGF berth you are a "B" team?? What about the given births....that don't have to earn it?????
ridinsuicide

by 3'sDad » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 am

DD's team is registered to play in the 14U Northeast Qualifier July 6-8 in NJ. She is very excited to play against Team LI, Wagners, The Shamrocks, Vipers & Intensity. She'll get tp pitch against some of the best teams back here on the right coast and see how she & her team mates match up. It will be fun, regardless of the outcome.
3'sDad

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:02 am

ridinsuicide wrote:Wait, NO TEAM IN 12U????? It's what I figured!!!!
And, if you want MY opinion, it seems that PGF may be a little about the money also, how many berths did they "GIVE" this year in 12U???? What, worried not enough teams will honestly EARN a berth, therefore possibly losing interest or entry fees????? Come on man, you cant honestly believe that neither one is about the money!! They are both businesses, it's what they do....and, you can't honestly be that naive....to think that if you don't earn a PGF berth you are a "B" team?? What about the given births....that don't have to earn it?????

Ok, let's say they are both businesses. In all fairness PGF is more of a 'business' than ASA.

I like how PGF runs their tournaments. They are close to a major airport (actually 3 major airports). They keep the teams to 64. They run the tournament at a fast pace, like 4 days. They hold it an area where there are tons of hotels. They charge their fees up front. Instead of asking 15 bucks a head a day, which ends up discouraging grandparents, they get one fee up front.

As far as berths, I hope PGF continues to use berths to make sure they are getting the most competitive teams into their 64 team bracket. ASA gives out a ton of berths. They end up with about 100 teams that are not even competitive.

Anyway, you like the way ASA runs their business, I like the PGF runs theirs. To each their own.

Hope you have fun in Moline. It is pretty there.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:

Ok, let's say they are both businesses. In all fairness PGF is more of a 'business' than ASA.

I like how PGF runs their tournaments. They are close to a major airport (actually 3 major airports). They keep the teams to 64. They run the tournament at a fast pace, like 4 days. They hold it an area where there are tons of hotels. They charge their fees up front. Instead of asking 15 bucks a head a day, which ends up discouraging grandparents, they get one fee up front.

As far as berths, I hope PGF continues to use berths to make sure they are getting the most competitive teams into their 64 team bracket. ASA gives out a ton of berths. They end up with about 100 teams that are not even competitive.

Anyway, you like the way ASA runs their business, I like the PGF runs theirs. To each their own.

Not sure how giving out berths makes it more competitive??? Qualifying would be much more competitive. I wish PGF was at the point they only needed to give berths to top ten placers.

How many teams have placed repeatedly on the bottom at PGF?(I do not know the answer) Are repeat offenders still getting invites?
jonriv

by ridinsuicide » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

You know what, Alwaysimprove, you are absolutely correct!! Truth be known, I enjoy spending butt loads of money to go to 3rd world cities that have ash clouds looming overhead and haven't seen the sun in 26 years with nothing more to do than skip rocks off of an old wooden bridge into a drainage ditch filled with sewage, to play in a tournament that "GIVES" out 100 berths to recreational softball teams from other 3rd world cities instead of playing in a tournament that only "GIVES" 64 berths to highly elite level softball organizations and play in the land of Oz... I mean hell, let's all leave our equipment behind and meet in a beautiful city for vacation....forget softball!!!!...hahahahaha. Over and out...
ridinsuicide

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm

jonriv wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:

Not sure how giving out berths makes it more competitive??? Qualifying would be much more competitive. I wish PGF was at the point they only needed to give berths to top ten placers.

How many teams have placed repeatedly on the bottom at PGF?(I do not know the answer) Are repeat offenders still getting invites?

If you look and understand, it is pretty straightforward. They wanted teams from South and East, so South and East teams got berths last year. Now you see teams like the EC Bullets, a major org in GA area, putting videos up which basically state all the competitive teams play PGF. That is a great way to use a berth to make your tournament more competitive.

Take last year when no teams showed for Florida qualifier, but Colorado and Oregon were very competitive. For instance a team from our area, the Ladyhawks, was one from a berth in Colorado and one from a berth in Oregon. PGF gave them one of the Florida berths. They went on to be 9th. Another great way of giving a berth to a competitive team.

BTW in a 160 team tournament ASA will give out around 100 berths. And they aren't giving the berths to teams 1-60, they are giving them to 60-160. And they do it for one reason. To get teams into town, and make more money.

The difference is that PGF guys are coaching teams. They play all the other major teams. They go watch teams play. They hear about a great team, they try to play them or get a chance to go watch them. So they actually know very well who are the good teams and who is on the bubble. So they have a great idea on who to try and get into their tournament.

ASA is umpires.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch