Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 14U???..... vs ASA 14U

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 am

Yet another problem with ASA allowing their tournament to bloat. Coaches tend to not go to pool games or the first round of these ginourmous tournaments. They wait until after the first round of elimination, pop into town and leave the following day.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:11 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:Yet another problem with ASA allowing their tournament to bloat. Coaches tend to not go to pool games or the first round of these ginourmous tournaments. They wait until after the first round of elimination, pop into town and leave the following day.

That's not true and you know it.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

Battle wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:Yet another problem with ASA allowing their tournament to bloat. Coaches tend to not go to pool games or the first round of these ginourmous tournaments. They wait until after the first round of elimination, pop into town and leave the following day.

Actually it is true, and I do know it. 16U college station. After pool play and first round of elimination a large number of coaches that we had not been seeing showed up at our game.

I asked one of them what teams he had been watching. He pointed out that you show up on Thursday, first round of elimination, and all the cruft has been weeded out. Watch Thursday and Friday, still see all the teams you are interested in watching and get back home in a decent turn around. That coach made it sound like it was common practice.

We did have coaches watching pool games, just not as many. The coaches that showed up on Thursday tended to be from the more nationally competitive programs.

It is my opinion that PGF having fewer teams results in a more competitive pool of teams. Add in the reduced number of days for pool play. Now you have greatly increased the incentive for a college coach to attend pool games. Not sure how you argue with that.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:09 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
Battle wrote:

Actually it is true, and I do know it. 16U college station. After pool play and first round of elimination a large number of coaches that we had not been seeing showed up at our game.

I asked one of them what teams he had been watching. He pointed out that you show up on Thursday, first round of elimination, and all the cruft has been weeded out. Watch Thursday and Friday, still see all the teams you are interested in watching and get back home in a decent turn around. That coach made it sound like it was common practice.

We did have coaches watching pool games, just not as many. The coaches that showed up on Thursday tended to be from the more nationally competitive programs.

It is my opinion that PGF having fewer teams results in a more competitive pool of teams. Add in the reduced number of days for pool play. Now you have greatly increased the incentive for a college coach to attend pool games. Not sure how you argue with that.

I actually agree with you on the reducing the amount of teams at a national but not down to 60+ or 40+. IMO that low of a number of teams would take away the big national feel, especially for 16s and 14s. JMO

You made your statement based on talking to one coach? You are actually wanting people to believe that there were more nationally competitive coaches at games on Thursday and Friday than Saturday? C'mon. But let's just assume you are correct which I don't believe you are but...

At 16s ASA 2011 in TN... when you looked around...How many nationally competitive coaches or just coaches in general, did you see on Thurs and Fri compared to the ones you seen on Sat and Sun since your first statement covers ASA in general?

Now, I hope the HB Yodas can forgive me for beating a dead horse causing them a brain hemorrhage after forcing them to read the beating over and over ...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 am

I was not in TN. I was relating what I know about what coaches say, and seemed to do towards cattle call nationals.

Do you think recruiting coaches actually watch a game between the Richmond Ruckus Elite and the West Windsor Wildcats? Or, perhaps maybe they optimize their time, and watch games that have teams that matter to them.

In my experience it has been a struggle to find 64 teams that can compete at this level. By the time you get to 65 you are just admitting teams to collect fees. Do you agree?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 am

College coaches are looking for players not teams. If the kid is doing their homework and writing to colleges they will get some looks.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 am

Uh, yep. And those 'players' tend to be on teams. Furthermore the better teams have an abundance of players. For instance, go watch a BB Myer game.

Now further, go watch a pool game BB Myer game at 16U nationals in College Station 2 years ago, when they are playing a no name team. A few college coaches were there. Then go watch BB Meyer when they play Corona Angels, or some other great team. You will not get a seat.

Teams were correct for wishing they had an alternative. If ASA had not created the demand through their decision making, PGF would not have taken off like a wildfire.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:40 am

Sorry Always Right. So if the girls don't play on BB, Angels or Firecrackers they are not going to get looked at. Sure there is going to be more scouts at a game where those teams play each other duh! There are alot of kids who don't play on these teams that have equal or better talent.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CFBFAN » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm

all I can say is that from the experience at PGF this year. We played BB and FC in pool games and there were many scouts at the games. There were even some at our scrimmages when we played against other good teams. We did make sure that our girls had sent out letters to at least 25 coaches for each kid. So IMO playing those top tier teams helps you get scouts to come watch the games, even if you are not that well known. And hopefully someone gets on the radar just from being seen while playing those top tier teams.
If you are going to hit it, HIT IT HARD...... No Excuses
CFBFAN

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Chin Music wrote:Sorry Always Right. So if the girls don't play on BB, Angels or Firecrackers they are not going to get looked at. Sure there is going to be more scouts at a game where those teams play each other duh! There are alot of kids who don't play on these teams that have equal or better talent.

Always Agree. Uh, well aware that girls not on BB, Angels or FC get recruited. My daughter was one of them.

PGF format is more conducive to getting college coaches to care about pool games. ASA should learn. It is hard to argue with that statement.

160 team dog piles that ASA is trying to pretend holds to some "higher standard" when all indications are that their "higher standard" is more about lining pockets than some purist ideal of what is softball. That is why PGF exists. The fact that ASA has changed little is why PGF will win out.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch