Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 14U???..... vs ASA 14U

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by artomatic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 am

you two are like a married couple...get a room.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by OutfieldAngel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:57 am

artomatic wrote:you two are like a married couple...get a room.

Or, better yet, go to divorce court and get over it for crying out loud!!!
OutfieldAngel

by Old Darter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:52 pm

As far as where the college coaches are and when they arrive, I agree for most D1's it's usually in on Thursday out on Saturday. Remember, each school only has a certain amount of allowed recruiting days each year. They are not going to use them watching pool games. D2 might have a different amount of recruiting days, but the are limited as well.
Old Darter

by silverstreak » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:34 am

We were at ASA 14s in Midland and there were absolutely NOT a lot of coaches or scouts there. Even at the championship games.

Kentucky had an assistant there, and Central Florida was clocking some pitchers. I guess if they're doing their spy routines, going plain clothes and trying not to attract attention there might have been 10 of them there, but I would bet there were no more than 5.

People I know who were at PGF described it as swarming with scouts. That was absolutely not the case in Midland.

That may have been exacerbated by the schools having to choose between spending a week in Midland or Huntington. Also, I don't know how many of the scouts were focused on the 14U at PGF, or if they were really looking at older divisions (including younger girls playing up).
silverstreak

by ontheblack » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 am

silverstreak wrote:Also, I don't know how many of the scouts were focused on the 14U at PGF, or if they were really looking at older divisions (including younger girls playing up).

Harvard Park hosted only 14U games. There was a large number of coaches there for both pool (if you want to call them that) and the bracket games. There were a few games in particular (games featuring Lady Lasers, CA Lockman, and a few of the OCBB teams) where the number of coaches was very impressive. Because the fields were in such close proximity to each other, it was easy for coaches to see many teams and we frequently saw them walking from field to field. The upside for the girls was that many who were unknowns were suddenly on someone's radar.

I have to agree with the importance of doing the prep work with coaches first though. My kid told me after one scrimmage that was held on a rather obscure field, that the head coach from Nebraska watched several innings of her game from the 3rd base line as she was scouting the other team's SS.

IMO PGF made it real easy for a coach to see whatever teams and kids they wanted from 14u to 18u in the course of a week without having to travel more than 10-20 miles in a day. If one cant see how that is an idiot proof formula for exposure, then there is not much else to say.
ontheblack

by ssarge » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:41 am

Also, I don't know how many of the scouts were focused on the 14U at PGF, or if they were really looking at older divisions (including younger girls playing up).

A lot of coaches from all over the country were at Premier 14U. Including a great representation form the power conferences. For example, in ONE DAY, I saw coaches from 6 of the 9 Pac12 schools. Mostly - though not exclusively - Head Coaches.

I have never seen as much attention at a 14U tournament. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who marginalizes this has an agenda. There is nothing else approaching PGF for college coach involvement. Not to say other tournaments don't provide a great recruiting venue - they do. But PGF was amazing, and based on what the recruiters SAW in that tournament, will continue to be.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by CheckWriter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 pm

There is nothing else approaching PGF for college coach involvement.

At the risk of splitting hairs, depending how you define "approach", the Allisters do pretty well for coach involvement.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheRogue » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

silverstreak wrote:We were at ASA 14s in Midland and there were absolutely NOT a lot of coaches or scouts there. Even at the championship games.

Kentucky had an assistant there, and Central Florida was clocking some pitchers. I guess if they're doing their spy routines, going plain clothes and trying not to attract attention there might have been 10 of them there, but I would bet there were no more than 5.

People I know who were at PGF described it as swarming with scouts. That was absolutely not the case in Midland.

That may have been exacerbated by the schools having to choose between spending a week in Midland or Huntington. Also, I don't know how many of the scouts were focused on the 14U at PGF, or if they were really looking at older divisions (including younger girls playing up).

Late post....but Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Georgia were all there on day 1 at Midland. I know there were more there as well, flying "under the radar"...we saw several "pocket radars" in hands each day.
TheRogue

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch