Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 2011 - Review and Discussion

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by anonlooker » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 am

Great tournament!

With all the coaches on here posting for tryouts, maybe we can get some input on various topics being discussed in other threads, forums, around the water cooler, etc.

Location - perfect in SoCal, in every respect. So should it move, or rotate to the east coast? Where? How would it benefit the tournament?
Qualifiers - how to increase participation, especially as you move east?
Returning berths - should a coach with his/her team largely intact carry an earned berth up to the next age group?
Pool Play - should it count for seeding? Do college coaches really want to see more "showcase" format games at a National Championship? Why have available practice games, followed by meaningless pool games.
More live internet feeds - should this be a priority?
Opening ceremonies - were great, but... Hey Dad, who were the Beach Boys? :lol: And some food and water might help keep the kids around for the music, speeches, etc.

Note: while some comparisons may be inevitable, let's try to avoid a PGF vs "the other guys" flame war. 8-)

Other topics? Thoughts on the above?
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by ocdude57 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 am

The tournament was extremely well run...with the exception of the opening ceremonies. Had someone simply told the girls that there would be speeches as soon as everyone was seated, less people would have left before it was over.Most of them thought, "This is it?" And yeah....BEACH BOYS??? Something a little closer to what they actually listened to would have been more appropriate..
ocdude57

by AM Softball » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:44 pm

anonlooker wrote:Great tournament!

With all the coaches on here posting for tryouts, maybe we can get some input on various topics being discussed in other threads, forums, around the water cooler, etc.

Location - perfect in SoCal, in every respect. So should it move, or rotate to the east coast? Where? How would it benefit the tournament?
Qualifiers - how to increase participation, especially as you move east?
Returning berths - should a coach with his/her team largely intact carry an earned berth up to the next age group?
Pool Play - should it count for seeding? Do college coaches really want to see more "showcase" format games at a National Championship? Why have available practice games, followed by meaningless pool games.
More live internet feeds - should this be a priority?
Opening ceremonies - were great, but... Hey Dad, who were the Beach Boys? :lol: And some food and water might help keep the kids around for the music, speeches, etc.

Note: while some comparisons may be inevitable, let's try to avoid a PGF vs "the other guys" flame war. 8-)

Other topics? Thoughts on the above?

Location: Although it didn't have a "Nationals" feel to me because we play here all year, you cannot argue that the weather here is amazing. I was watching Gary Haning's team play a TX team at HB and we were talking to one Texas Dad and he said "I'd sleep in my car to play in this weather" so he definitely loved it here. I do wish that all of the kids got to play in OK at Hall of Fame...it's a great place to play...on the other side, having Nationals in the same place every year could work too. The WCWS is always in OK so maybe that is a perk of getting there...the men are always in NE...etc. I'd like to see it move around for the experiences but then again, the weather makes this a prime spot to just keep it at every year and we have great facilities...I am fairly neutral on this issue....

Qualifiers: I think as the league develops, more teams will attend these without much change.

Returning Berths: I believe they should take them up.

Pool Play: Seed...It just makes sense, coaches want to see competitive games, and the coaches I have talked to would like to see seeding as well for various reasons.

Internet feeds: Loved these and would def. want to see more. I watched all of the Championship games and it was cool...the announcer was awful in 14u but I still watched...

Opening Ceremonies: Great idea on the beach...just needs to be changed up a little with the music, more information, and a bit more room for everyone.

All in all, PGF did a good job with these tournaments.
AM Softball

by anonlooker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:16 am

Should PGF take steps to prevent organizations from bringing players "down" for Nationals, such as locking rosters at qualifiers?

further discussed here... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27951
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by eagles2010 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:41 pm

First let me say that I am not a coach and am a dad that has enjoyed watching his DD play the past eleven years. My daughter plays in an area that is not blessed with the number of players that may exist in other areas, but has had a great experience as she has progressed through "B" ball Nationals, "A" Ball Western Nationals, ASA/USA Nationals, and for the past two years at Premier. Attending all these various levels of "Nationals" makes one really appreciate what has been put together by the PREMIER program.

We have seen all types of formats at these Nationals and I have to say having Pool Games that can be used as a form of a showcase doesn't bother me at all. However, I understand why some would want them to count as it may provide them with a better situation than a random draw.

The only issue I can see with Premier (and I just might not fully understand how it works) is the idea that a returning berth is retained by the coach, not the organization. I think that in some situations this may lead to the coach being able to hold parents and players hostage. Some organizations may pay a coach to leave their current organization, just to a get the rights to the berth for their organization. Maybe this is done already, and I just am naive enough not to see it. The simple fix for me would be that the coach must remain with the same organization to get the returning berth. If the organization lets the coach go or the coach leaves - the berth is also lost.

Just a thought or two.
eagles2010

by I knew it » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Will PGF have 12u in 2012????
I knew it

by jmo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I knew it wrote:Will PGF have 12u in 2012????

Plans are in the making to have possibly both 10U and 12U :D
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Numero dos » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:18 pm

When will we find out if PGF will decide to hold a 10u nationals? First i heard of it. Excited about the possibility.... :D
Numero dos

by jmo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Numero dos wrote:When will we find out if PGF will decide to hold a 10u nationals? First i heard of it. Excited about the possibility.... :D

Within the next month you will know for sure. We are looking to host 10U/12U the week before 14/16/HS. Not sure of how many teams at this point and nothing is set in stone yet either!!
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bracketologist » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Pool Play lends to Seeded Brackets!

I'm trying to think of another major national sporting event that I like with a blind draw bracket :?:
bracketologist

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch