Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 2011 - Review and Discussion

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by PDad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:30 am

LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:One thing that I would like to see ALL associations consider. There are 5 states who play HS Softball in the Fall. My State, Oklahoma, being one of those. Our HS season begins the first week of August and practice begins around the 3rd week of July. Most HS coaches can live with the players being gone for the first week of practice, but missing the first week of games is a little different story. Therefore it makes it extremely difficult on the players to have to miss HS Ball to play a national the first week of August with their travel team.

Who are the other 4 states that play HS softball in the fall? Have you considered there are far more states up north that would oppose moving Nats up because it would shorten their prime playing season?

LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:I think that is probably why here there is such a us vs them attitude between School Ball and Travel Ball.

[next post]... Another, HUGE factor is these girls WANT to represent their respective Schools, and here there is this huge Travel Ball vs. HS Ball conflict. There have been instances where really good players are sitting because the HS coach wants to "PUNISH" them for being gone the first week. Also, The HS coaches here want their players playing in their "Summer Programs" and that conflicts with the players travel team schedule so it causes this conflict. Ultimately, I believe its about the $$$ since most of the HS coaches are charging as much as $300 a kid for like a 20 game summer league. Simple math tells you that, at $300 a kid x's 20 or so kids for a league that is played on your own HS fields with local umpires where they charge a gate and offer concessions, someone is making some summer pocket change.

The conflict is all about $$$ and control. Moving Nats up isn't going to fix it.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 am

One thing that I would like to see ALL associations consider. There are 5 states who play HS Softball in the Fall. My State, Oklahoma, being one of those. Our HS season begins the first week of August and practice begins around the 3rd week of July. Most HS coaches can live with the players being gone for the first week of practice, but missing the first week of games is a little different story. Therefore it makes it extremely difficult on the players to have to miss HS Ball to play a national the first week of August with their travel team. I think that is probably why here there is such a us vs them attitude between School Ball and Travel Ball.

You are talking 10% of the US by # of states, and probably less than 1% by # of travel teams. No one is going to modify a schedule and shorten the summer season for such a small group.
ontheblack

by PDad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:I love what PGF is doing and I think they have a shot to become the "Best Alternative" to those other guys. However, if they want to get serious about becoming a truly "National" association then they are going to have to be Nationally accessible.
You mean flying into Southern CA is not Nationally accessible?
Most teams back east are unwilling/unable to incur the extra expense of flying and renting cars. This has been demonstrated time and again by the abnormally fewer teams at Nats out west.
I think teams will come to California to play.......once,
I've been to Moline as many times as I have played PGF in SoCal.
Teams will go wherever they feel it is most worthwhile compared to their alternatives.
but to expect out of region teams to come every year?
Isn't USSSA in FL every year? Don't teams make that same trip every year?
Apparently not - USSSA only had 24 teams in 18A and 12 teams in 16A.
I kinda think that is a little bit of an elitist if not outright arrogant attitude. Sure we all want to play the best, but you guys are gonna have to put a little skin in the game too.
And what would that entail? Flying to other, out of the way spots in the country chasing ASA? Been doing that for years.
I would like to see PGF create a western, central, and eastern region with the national alternating yearly
I have attended ASA Nationals 7 times and only once was it even west of the Mississippi. How is that for alternating around the regions?
Then it has a "True" national feel and not a California State tournament feel as another poster stated. Just my 2 cents from someone who ISN'T from california.

LW expressed an opinion that many outside SoCal share and could ultimately prevent PGF from becoming the undisputed national championship if it isn't addressed. That said, it is a ton of work to set up another site and PGF has to be very careful they don't lose the OC fields in the process. One option is PGF uses the younger age groups to set up another site and then alternates age groups between the 2 sites.

Considering most SoCal teams are saving $30+k in travel costs by playing locally, would they be willing to share a fraction of those savings to draw top teams from back east to keep PGF here? For starters, PGF could stop exempting local teams from the hotel buyout fee and use the extra money to cover a small portion of the expenses for top teams that have to fly here. They could award it to the top team from each qualifier back east.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sofbal1234 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Good ideas :ugeek:
sofbal1234

by ontheblack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:09 pm

PDad wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:I love what PGF is doing and I think they have a shot to become the "Best Alternative" to those other guys. However, if they want to get serious about becoming a truly "National" association then they are going to have to be Nationally accessible.
You mean flying into Southern CA is not Nationally accessible?
Most teams back east are unwilling/unable to incur the extra expense of flying and renting cars. This has been demonstrated time and again by the abnormally fewer teams at Nats out west.
I think teams will come to California to play.......once,
I've been to Moline as many times as I have played PGF in SoCal.
Teams will go wherever they feel it is most worthwhile compared to their alternatives.
but to expect out of region teams to come every year?
Isn't USSSA in FL every year? Don't teams make that same trip every year?
Apparently not - USSSA only had 24 teams in 18A and 12 teams in 16A.
I kinda think that is a little bit of an elitist if not outright arrogant attitude. Sure we all want to play the best, but you guys are gonna have to put a little skin in the game too.
And what would that entail? Flying to other, out of the way spots in the country chasing ASA? Been doing that for years.
I would like to see PGF create a western, central, and eastern region with the national alternating yearly
I have attended ASA Nationals 7 times and only once was it even west of the Mississippi. How is that for alternating around the regions?
Then it has a "True" national feel and not a California State tournament feel as another poster stated. Just my 2 cents from someone who ISN'T from california.

LW expressed an opinion that many outside SoCal share and could ultimately prevent PGF from becoming the undisputed national championship if it isn't addressed. That said, it is a ton of work to set up another site and PGF has to be very careful they don't lose the OC fields in the process. One option is PGF uses the younger age groups to set up another site and then alternates age groups between the 2 sites.

Considering most SoCal teams are saving $30+k in travel costs by playing locally, would they be willing to share a fraction of those savings to draw top teams from back east to keep PGF here? For starters, PGF could stop exempting local teams from the hotel buyout fee and use the extra money to cover a small portion of the expenses for top teams that have to fly here. They could award it to the top team from each qualifier back east.

First time we havnt had to travel to Hellhole USA and now the SoCal teams have to subsidize those who havent had to do what we have had to do for ever?

Keep playing ASA.
ontheblack

by Battle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 pm

ontheblack wrote:First time we havnt had to travel to Hellhole USA and now the SoCal teams have to subsidize those who havent had to do what we have had to do for ever?

Keep playing ASA.

You are not the only ones that have to travel...oh wait a minute...I forgot...You are the good teams and shouldn't have to travel...My bad.

The Hellhole USA that you describe is just another day on the field for some teams. So what? Don't play ASA. Who cares? We will keep playing ASA and you keep playing your Western Nats...AKA...PGF.
ASA 16U was great and will be next year and years to come. Don't subsidize anything. Just means more teams from the East for ASA. Travel expense means just as much to them as it does to the Cali PGF supporters so can't blame you for that. Keep it real in Cali huh? I applaud your honesty as well...MAIN DRIVING FORCE=TRAVEL EXPENSE...not competition.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by sofbal1234 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Keep playing ASA...
That's even a better idea! :geek: :ugeek: Glad Premier is in Lakewood next season!!!
Last edited by sofbal1234 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sofbal1234

by Goldcoloredglasses » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Wow sofball...if your kids batting average was a much as you weigh you would really have something to cheer about
Goldcoloredglasses

by UmpSteve » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:03 pm

PDad wrote:Who are the other 4 states that play HS softball in the fall? Have you considered there are far more states up north that would oppose moving Nats up because it would shorten their prime playing season?

I am aware of Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma and my home state of Georgia. If there is a 5th, I am not aware of it (or forgot).

Unless LW is counting Mississippi; last I heard, they play slowpitch in the fall, fastpitch in the spring.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sofbal1234 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Goldcoloredglasses wrote:Wow sofball...if your kids batting average was a much as you weigh you would really have something to cheer about

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PLEASE... If you only knew!!! :roll:
sofbal1234

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch