Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Pitching distance for 14U

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by AM Softball » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:36 pm

PDad wrote:
AM Softball wrote:This may be a bit off topic but has anyone thought of changing the age divisions instead of changing these types of rules?

I am just throwing it out for discussion but maybe it would be better to divide by grade instead of age. HS (12/11), ?? (10/9), ?? (8/7), ?? (6,5), ?? (4,3). Obviously you could play up but not down. I just think kids starting on Varsity teams really should not be playing 14u so this is one possible solution.

That would avoid the college player issue because they aren't in 12th grade and would truly divide the divisions into a better foundation based on the rules they play with in HS and to prepare for college. You could keep the 7/8 at 40 feet and make the 9-12th pitch from 43 and also allow the HS kids to wear metal cleats.

Just a thought.

It is an interesting thought for PGF because the college recruiting is geared more towards grad year than age. I don't see ASA doing it.

Some other sanctions run separate 14u divisions for 40' and 43'. PGF could also consider doing this - keep the 14HS with the older age groups and split the 14u-40 off with the younger ones.

I think GRADE DIVISIONS totally make sense and PGF should really consider it.

You could do something like HS, HSA, Middle, Elementary, and Beginner (I'm sure someone could come up with better names for each division but you get my thought process).

1. It aligns with HS grades and our education system, which are never going to change, and are the same across the entire USA.
2. It makes the rules easier to accept. (9-12th 43' and spikes) (8th-below 40' and rubber)
3. It eliminates all college players.
4. It keeps Varsity players with Varsity competition or helps JV players get better with better competition.
5. It eliminates the "Dark" problems and kids not being able to play.
6. It sets teams all year so they can play together and bond the same.
7. There are no issues or resentment from HS players coming back down to take positions of kids playing the past 3-4 months.
8. I think socially, it classifies kids into a better age group. (There's a big difference mentally and socially between 7th/8th graders and 9'th graders)

Anyone have any other ideas?
AM Softball

by ssarge » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Welcome to our world Scott, where SoCal teams face her on a regular basis. The trick is to layoff the rise, but that is easier said than done.

Yeah. The trick for us, I think, is to play more in SoCal. And we will.

Best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by AM Softball » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm

LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:
AM Softball wrote:This may be a bit off topic but has anyone thought of changing the age divisions instead of changing these types of rules?

I am just throwing it out for discussion but maybe it would be better to divide by grade instead of age. HS (12/11), ?? (10/9), ?? (8/7), ?? (6,5), ?? (4,3). Obviously you could play up but not down. I just think kids starting on Varsity teams really should not be playing 14u so this is one possible solution.

That would avoid the college player issue because they aren't in 12th grade and would truly divide the divisions into a better foundation based on the rules they play with in HS and to prepare for college. You could keep the 7/8 at 40 feet and make the 9-12th pitch from 43 and also allow the HS kids to wear metal cleats.

Just a thought.

Interesting concept, but what happens when you get a 17yr old sophmore that throws 65?

Play up. You can always choose to play up. Most of our kids technically should have been in 14u this year but why not play up if they can hang? A pitcher throwing that well should stay in 16s or move up if she's that effective. :)
AM Softball

by Makina » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:18 pm

All great ideas! On the Highschool break etc. But now you add an extra layer of complexity on policing grade level besides proving age. I'm sure there could be 14 yr. olds that are in 8th grade and I've also seen alot of 16-17 yr. olds that could pass as a 12 or 13 yr old, not that anybody would ever try to do that.
Makina

by LETHAL WEAPON 25 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 am

I think it may all be irrelevant after the ASA meetings next week. I spoke with our ASA JO director yesterday at a tournament and he said he is fairly certain that ASA will go to 43' for 14U beginning next year. Again, I know some don't agree, but it does make the most sense. As ive said before the Majority of 2nd year 14's are HIGH SCHOOL freshmen so why have them throw/hit from 2 different distances in the same time frame.
LETHAL WEAPON 25

by UmpSteve » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

LETHAL WEAPON 25 wrote:I think it may all be irrelevant after the ASA meetings next week. I spoke with our ASA JO director yesterday at a tournament and he said he is fairly certain that ASA will go to 43' for 14U beginning next year. Again, I know some don't agree, but it does make the most sense. As ive said before the Majority of 2nd year 14's are HIGH SCHOOL freshmen so why have them throw/hit from 2 different distances in the same time frame.

Your J.O. director needs a refresher course in how rules change in ASA. What has to happen is that some voting member must first propose a rule change PRIOR to the National Council meeting; and that isn't in the rule change proposal package that has been distributed that I saw.

Not saying it would or wouldn't be a good rule change, or if it would or wouldn't pass; but it isn't on the table that I saw.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by LETHAL WEAPON 25 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Hmmm..... He said that Oklahoma ASA did propose the rule change and it was supported by KCASA. Have no clue if that is the case or not.
LETHAL WEAPON 25

by ontheblack » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Does anyone have a list of the proposed rule changes for this year's annual council meeting?
ontheblack

by MavFan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 pm

PDad wrote:

Just a thought.

It is an interesting thought for PGF because the college recruiting is geared more towards grad year than age. I don't see ASA doing it.

Some other sanctions run separate 14u divisions for 40' and 43'. PGF could also consider doing this - keep the 14HS with the older age groups and split the 14u-40 off with the younger ones.

Wouldn't it just be easier to change the age cut off from January 1 to September 1? You would, in effect, be changing it to grad year, as most schools start around the first part of Sept, give or take a week or two. If a 9th grader wanted to pitch from 43 ft, move up to 16U JMHO
MavFan

by Makina » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Just need to get ASA to agree!!
Makina

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch