Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF/ASA

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by TexasYellowBall » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 am

On the left shirt sleeve of Team USA it says ASA.........will it ever say PGF..
TexasYellowBall

by Crazy888 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:36 pm

I don't know what it will say in the years to come, but I bet 5 years from now all of the players will have competed in the PGF....
Crazy888

by TexasYellowBall » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Probably.................
TexasYellowBall

by Battle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Crazy888 wrote:I don't know what it will say in the years to come, but I bet 5 years from now all of the players will have competed in the PGF....

...USSSA too...So what?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Battle wrote:
Crazy888 wrote:I don't know what it will say in the years to come, but I bet 5 years from now all of the players will have competed in the PGF....

...USSSA too...So what?

Not hardly. But you can believe that in your world.

LOL...Ok then...TCS?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Battle wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Battle wrote:

...USSSA too...So what?

Not hardly. But you can believe that in your world.

LOL...Ok then...TCS?

Nope, wrong again. Would you like to to try the cutrin where Carrol Merril is standing

Nope...I'll stick with Triple Crown and also add again...So what?
Battle

by Jammed » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:57 pm

TexasYellowBall wrote:On the left shirt sleeve of Team USA it says ASA.........will it ever say PGF..

As long as ASA is the governing body recognized by the USOC, then ASA will remain on the sleeve.
Jammed
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 pm

Jammed wrote:
TexasYellowBall wrote:On the left shirt sleeve of Team USA it says ASA.........will it ever say PGF..

As long as ASA is the governing body recognized by the USOC, then ASA will remain on the sleeve.

Not to mention the agency responsible for funding the national teams. The USOC withdrew financial support when the game was removed from the Olympics; certainly there is fundraising, sponsorships, profits from sales of momentos's. But if you think funding the national teams is cheap, guess again. It is a HUGE drain on the ASA budget; yeah, the one funded by all you claim ASA gouges you for. But, ASA stepped up and didn't let the game (or the teams) drop when the ISF screwed the pooch with the Olympics.

So, when PGF or Triple Crown want to put up the big bucks, they can talk the talk about Team USA. Don't expect that any time soon. Don't forget, there are 6 national teams; three of them don't meet the 'G' in PGF, but require support, too.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mikille » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

The PGF 14u championship, per the PGF website, has 24 California teams, and only 16 teams from other States. Maybe the website isnt up to date, but if it is one can call it what one wants for marketing, but it falls far short of being "National". Some day it may live up to it, but not in 2011. I also heard that only 2 Ca. teams finished in the top 25 at 18 Gold Nationals in 2010 - seems like the other 49 States may have game.
mikille

by ssarge » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:48 am

The PGF 14u championship, per the PGF website, has 24 California teams, and only 16 teams from other States. Maybe the website isnt up to date, but if it is one can call it what one wants for marketing, but it falls far short of being "National". Some day it may live up to it, but not in 2011. I also heard that only 2 Ca. teams finished in the top 25 at 18 Gold Nationals in 2010 - seems like the other 49 States may have game.

There are 42 teams total, you might want to recalculate to get this absolutely right. Important stuff.

When was the last time a California team didn't win 14A ASA Nationals? Factor that into this IMPORTANT [snicker] discussion somewhere. Places 1 through 5 last year were California teams. And 17 California teams finished T33 or better last year. When you factor in California teams which were eliminated by California teams, your ratio of 24 out of 40 (42) is actually pretty representative.

If your definition of National is including someone from Maine because it is part of the country and it is important that they show up and go 2&Q, you're right, Premier isn't National. MY definition is which tournament has the lion's share of the country's top teams competing. And that answer is extremely clear. It's not that there aren't strong teams at ASA Nationals - there are. There are just far more of them at every age division of Premier.

As has been previously documented, something like 45 of the top 50 18U teams played in Premier last season. FAR less - single digits - at Gold Nationals.

It is obviously true again this year. Arguing this point is about like arguing religion, though "conversions" are probably more likely to occur in religion. That said, this ship has sailed. At all 3 age groups. Could probably come back around the other way next year or net decade. Though I doubt it will be anytime soon. For now, there just isn't any question which field is stronger.
ssarge

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch