Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PREMIER QUALIFIER - STOCKTON

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by anonlooker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:36 am

Tournaments in different parts of the country are run in different ways, depending on the standard norms in that area.

It appears that Premier did not specifically mandate every little item to make every qualifier identical to the other... "run it like you would run a tournament in your area"... may have been the whole of the guidance. Which makes sense.

The norm in SoCal might seem very odd in TX or FL or NJ, or yes, even NorCal. By mandating absolute uniformity, they would have opened up a Pandora's box of complaints and ridicule.

From previous threads, it seems the norm in NorCal to charge gate fees, and limit "carry-in" items, even water. These complaints here are the same complaints we always hear about NorCal tournaments in general.

You can argue that Premier should "fix" everything that's "wrong" with tournaments in every region around the country, and that they should do that right out of the gate. But the "fix" they proscribe might seem absurd to the customary practice of that area. Then what? Even more complaints.

For example, the Huntington Beach Sports Complex charges parking fees. If you play there, you pay to park. Simple, and we all know it. Do you pay to park in Stockton? Or Dallas? Atlanta? New Jersey? How about if Premier came along and mandated parking fees, because they are standard at HBSC? Absurd, right? So there you go.

I don't know the economics of holding a tournament in NorCal, but if the economics dictate that gate fees and water limits are necessary, you will have gate fees and water limits. Or no qualifying tournament at all.

Bear in mind that last year, people were screaming about the lack of qualifiers. Now there are qualifiers, and people are screaming because they aren't "better"... which itself is highly subjective.

This is the first year of Premier qualifiers. There are likely a host of issues they will address once the dust has settled after Nationals. But at least they respond to questions and complaints, and address problem areas. In that regard, they are different, and better, than ASA.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Crazy888 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am

If you are bringing along your family, $3 or $4 a head adds up quickly. Providing that info only makes sense....we are not talking about $1 for parking. It would be pretty simple to update their website with information. At the very least, provide contact info for the qualifiers.
Crazy888

by Crazy888 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52 am

By the way, I post this on Heybucket because Gary and co.seem to respond well to the issues brought up here ( unlike ASA).
Crazy888

by sageorge2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:49 pm

I understand you can not make everyone happy...trust me. I just expect that ANY organization would require those holding the tournament to have working lights if they plan on playing evening games. It's a serious safety issue, it's not about winning or losing or what they served at the snack bar or what they charged for parking.
sageorge2

by Iluvblue » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 pm

What fields were you on that had light issues?
Our fields were prepped before EVERY gAME we played in.
Fields were in great shape at McNair and I know that Arnaiz fields are always great.
Iluvblue

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 am

Iluvblue wrote:What fields were you on that had light issues?
Our fields were prepped before EVERY gAME we played in.
Fields were in great shape at McNair and I know that Arnaiz fields are always great.

Except if you are a pitcher. The circle was nothing but powder. Once they moved all the powder out of the way, they were pitching from holes. Reminded me of being at the TOC in Boulder for HS.
Sftbll4ever

by MavFan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:06 am

anonlooker wrote:Tournaments in different parts of the country are run in different ways, depending on the standard norms in that area.

It appears that Premier did not specifically mandate every little item to make every qualifier identical to the other... "run it like you would run a tournament in your area"... may have been the whole of the guidance. Which makes sense.

The norm in SoCal might seem very odd in TX or FL or NJ, or yes, even NorCal. By mandating absolute uniformity, they would have opened up a Pandora's box of complaints and ridicule.

From previous threads, it seems the norm in NorCal to charge gate fees, and limit "carry-in" items, even water. These complaints here are the same complaints we always hear about NorCal tournaments in general.

You can argue that Premier should "fix" everything that's "wrong" with tournaments in every region around the country, and that they should do that right out of the gate. But the "fix" they proscribe might seem absurd to the customary practice of that area. Then what? Even more complaints.

For example, the Huntington Beach Sports Complex charges parking fees. If you play there, you pay to park. Simple, and we all know it. Do you pay to park in Stockton? Or Dallas? Atlanta? New Jersey? How about if Premier came along and mandated parking fees, because they are standard at HBSC? Absurd, right? So there you go.

I don't know the economics of holding a tournament in NorCal, but if the economics dictate that gate fees and water limits are necessary, you will have gate fees and water limits. Or no qualifying tournament at all.

Bear in mind that last year, people were screaming about the lack of qualifiers. Now there are qualifiers, and people are screaming because they aren't "better"... which itself is highly subjective.

This is the first year of Premier qualifiers. There are likely a host of issues they will address once the dust has settled after Nationals. But at least they respond to questions and complaints, and address problem areas. In that regard, they are different, and better, than ASA.

I don't think anyone was specifically complaining that things are done differently. I think the complaint was that the information on the qualifiers was not always on the PGF website. I don't think that having a link from the PGF site to the qualifier website would be all that difficult to provide. It would reduce the surprises that teams not "familiar" with how things are done in that part of the country as well as provide particular information on things like pools, schedules etc
MavFan

by SoCalMgr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:23 am

Crazy888 wrote: It would be pretty simple to update their website with information. At the very least, provide contact info for the qualifiers.

There is contact info on the page! Has been since the beginning. There is Contact Us form. Every tourney has the Director of that tourney's email address. I am at the computer more than I am not. Find a bad link or can't find the info you are looking for, give me a shout and if I can't answer I will route it to who can.

Steve
SoCalMgr

by SoCalMgr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:46 am

MavFan wrote:I don't think anyone was specifically complaining that things are done differently. I think the complaint was that the information on the qualifiers was not always on the PGF website. I don't think that having a link from the PGF site to the qualifier website would be all that difficult to provide. It would reduce the surprises that teams not "familiar" with how things are done in that part of the country as well as provide particular information on things like pools, schedules etc

Brackets are up, Sorry for the delay in getting them up on the PGF site. Believe me I am looking at how things went, as far as the website goes, this year and how to improve them. But If you do have a suggestion, wouldn't it be better to tell the webmaster instead of having the webmaster search giant forum? Give me a shout at PGF regarding website access and I will get back to you.

Steve
SoCalMgr

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch