Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Required to use Premier hotels

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Joe Dirt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I agree with Skarp, just charge what you are going to charge. But, most people are aware of these things prior. They do it anyway, myself included. We are all overboard with this stuff. Playing travel ball is a luxury item that alot of people treat as a necessity. You don't have to participate, it is completely optional.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

by MTR » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Sam wrote:It was bull$hit when ASA did it and it is bull$hit now when Premier is doing it. No reason to justify it other than it puts money in somebody's pocket. Funny how people on this board who complained about ASA doing it, will support Premier doing it. Its crap.

Stay where you want to stay. If you don't get invited back next year after you qualify in one of their tournaments, you trash them....maybe even sue them. Play somewhere else that is more accomodating.

It Premier keeps doing crap like this, folks will find a better alternative....which is what they thought Premier was when they left ASA in droves. The marketplace will weed out suppliers who don't accomodate their customers.

But here is the problem with this argument, ASA doesn't do this!!!!! What??? Yeah, it is correct. It is the responsibility of the local municipality, CVB, COB, Parks & Rec, etc., whichever organization was awarded the tournament, to provide umpires and ASA reps lodging and transportation and yeah they make deals with hotels for comp rooms, just like every other organization in the world. But that isn't ASA.
MTR

by PDad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 pm

MTR wrote:But here is the problem with this argument, ASA doesn't do this!!!!! What??? Yeah, it is correct. It is the responsibility of the local municipality, CVB, COB, Parks & Rec, etc., whichever organization was awarded the tournament, to provide umpires and ASA reps lodging and transportation and yeah they make deals with hotels for comp rooms, just like every other organization in the world. But that isn't ASA.

ASA is not directly involved in it, but they are complicit and profit by it. It is ASA's event and the bid amount is a factor when they choose the host. Bidders with the most to gain (i.e. little competition for teams' housing and meal business) are able to offer larger bid amounts.

Bidders are supposed to disclose all fees for teams, including housing surcharges. What is the norm for housing surcharges? Does ASA use this information to make sure the fees are reasonable for teams or to evaluate whether ASA's slice of the pie is big enough?

As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

I can't find a copy of ASA's official bid form. It would be reasonable to require bidders disclose the number of hotel rooms, by rating, within a specified distance from the fields (30-45 minutes?) and the number of rooms blocked for each rating with price info. JMO
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:32 pm

PDad wrote:
MTR wrote:As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

If you know anything about business, "not-for-profit" is only a tax status; not the way you run the show. Whether it is the AMA, Red Cross, Boy's Clubs/Girl's Clubs, et al, they are running a business, and like any business they need to be profitable if they are to continue as an organization.

Out of curiosity, would you care to extoll the virtues of NASCAR? The "sport" that was born of rum-runners in competition? Unless the higher standard you are referring to is the proof/% of alcohol in their product.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by ssarge » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:02 pm

I agree with Skarp, just charge what you are going to charge.

I agree with him, too. It is like staying at a hotel for business, and the rate is cheap, but if you want to use the health club, it is an extra $20. Try putting THAT on your expense reimbursement form. But if the room is $169 instead of $149, no one cares.

Though in this case, teams not using hotels (because they are local) would be paying extra for entry fees, effectively sharing in the cost of teams who DO need hotels. I guess that's OK, but it IS a consideration. Nothing you do will make everyone happy, I suppose.

Ultimately, it still gets back to the fact that a slightly overpriced hotel room in Orange County affords more flexibility / variety of things to do than a slightly overpriced hotel room in Armpit, (Pick a State in the Hell-Belt). And of course, the hotel room stay is like 6 days instead of 10. And if you have one kid at 14U Nats, and one at 18U Nats, mom isn't paying for one room with one daughter while dad pays for one with the other daughter.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by MTR » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:58 pm

PDad wrote:ASA is not directly involved in it, but they are complicit and profit by it. It is ASA's event and the bid amount is a factor when they choose the host. Bidders with the most to gain (i.e. little competition for teams' housing and meal business) are able to offer larger bid amounts.

The highest bidder for the USA/ASA Nationals is awarded a National less than 50% of the time.

Bidders are supposed to disclose all fees for teams, including housing surcharges. What is the norm for housing surcharges? Does ASA use this information to make sure the fees are reasonable for teams or to evaluate whether ASA's slice of the pie is big enough?

ASA qualifies bidders.

As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

Even NFPs need to make enough money to sustain the business at hand.

I can't find a copy of ASA's official bid form. It would be reasonable to require bidders disclose the number of hotel rooms, by rating, within a specified distance from the fields (30-45 minutes?) and the number of rooms blocked for each rating with price info. JMO

The word(s) hotel, lodging, inn, motel, etc. do(es) not appear on the form. However, when the bidder makes their presentation to the general council, the number and convenience of the available lodging is often touted.
MTR

by PDad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

tcannizzo wrote:
PDad wrote:As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

If you know anything about business, "not-for-profit" is only a tax status; not the way you run the show.

:lol: I know quite a bit about business - I'm able to effectively interact with controllers, CPAs and CFOs along with all types of operational management. NFPs are run differently because there are limitations in the amount of money they can carry over from year to year. Stockholders don't like it when their publicly held corporation is run like an NFP. :lol:

Whether it is the AMA, Red Cross, Boy's Clubs/Girl's Clubs, et al, they are running a business, and like any business they need to be profitable if they are to continue as an organization.

Hmmm, notice all those organizations have something in common - like existing for the benefit of its members or a cause rather than just to make money. They get most of their money from corporate sponsors and private donors - not by selling an opportunity to make money off the members they're supposed to be benefitting.

NFPs need to bring in enough money to cover their expenses, hopefully reasonable ones, and the rest is supposed to be for the benefit of its members and/or cause.

Out of curiosity, would you care to extoll the virtues of NASCAR? The "sport" that was born of rum-runners in competition? Unless the higher standard you are referring to is the proof/% of alcohol in their product.

You need to ask MTR about NASCAR's virtues - he's the one that keeps bringing them up as a justification for the high hotel rates. As for higher standard - you got it backward - I said I hold ASA to a higher standard than NASCAR.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:23 pm

@MTR:

I expect ASA first qualifies the bids to make sure they're capable to hold the event (e.g. facilities, applicable experience, track record, etc.) before they consider bid amounts. I can't see them awarding one of their biggest events to someone that has only run small local weekend events.

I consider price, quality and service - and not necessarily in that order - when I make significant purchases. What other criteria would sway ASA to take the lower bid between 2 capable bidders? Does the welfare and enjoyment of the teams come into play at all?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Joe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm

PDad wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:
PDad wrote:As a not-for-profit organization, I expect ASA to look out for its members. They should be held to a higher standard than for-profit businesses like NASCAR. As the NGB of softball that aspires to hold THE national championship, they should be concerned about affordability for participants.

If you know anything about business, "not-for-profit" is only a tax status; not the way you run the show.

:lol: I know quite a bit about business - I'm able to effectively interact with controllers, CPAs and CFOs along with all types of operational management. NFPs are run differently because there are limitations in the amount of money they can carry over from year to year. Stockholders don't like it when their publicly held corporation is run like an NFP. :lol:

Whether it is the AMA, Red Cross, Boy's Clubs/Girl's Clubs, et al, they are running a business, and like any business they need to be profitable if they are to continue as an organization.

Hmmm, notice all those organizations have something in common - like existing for the benefit of its members or a cause rather than just to make money. They get most of their money from corporate sponsors and private donors - not by selling an opportunity to make money off the members they're supposed to be benefitting.

NFPs need to bring in enough money to cover their expenses, hopefully reasonable ones, and the rest is supposed to be for the benefit of its members and/or cause.

You need to ask MTR about NASCAR's virtues - he's the one that keeps bringing them up as a justification for the high hotel rates. As for higher standard - you got it backward - I said I hold ASA to a higher standard than NASCAR.

tcannizzo...schooled :lol:
Joe

by CheckWriter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Right now, the better teams, on average will be playing PGF.

Second year in existence, first year trying to do "real" qualifiers.

Next year, first year where the only "unearned" berths are based on previous year's performance.

Some people ecstatic, some happy, some skeptical, some pissed.

Next year, vote with your check book.

Pretty simple.

My $0.02

PS OK, easy for me to say, youngest DD off to D1 ball and a pretty good name on the sheep skin (what she does with it is up to her) in the fall.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch