Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF Qualifier in Florida

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Gary Haning » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:04 pm

I am sure this will soon be a topic of discussion so before we start our qualifiers and I do not have time to post here, this is the current situation.

There are some entries supposedly in transit, we do not yet know if the all of the teams listed are coming or if they will come to nationals if they qualifiy. We are going to see what transpires between now and Monday and deal with the berths as seems best at that time. If there are any So Cal teams that get berths from there because there are not enough teams and that same team qualifies here, we will go down the list of teams in order of finish from our qualifier.

The Florida Qualifier obviously did not go well but we do have a much better venue for that part of the country for next year and we will deal with what happens to the Florida tournaments or berths on Monday.
Gary Haning

by Gary Haning » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

We are not pleased with the outcome of this but following our stated policies below are the Florida berths. There were not more teams entered and paid and willing to commit to coming to Nationals than there were berths so there will be no games.

14U

Tropic Wave-Florida paid and will come
Cal Raiders-paid will play
Irvine Sting-paid and will play
Lil Saints-AZ-paid and will come

16U

Crossfire-Florida paid and will come
Tropic Wave-paid and will come
Sharks-paid and will come
Case Batbusters-paid and will play
OC Dynasty-paid and will play
Pure FP-paid and will play

18HS
Lady Gators-Stump-paid and will come
Lady Gators-paid and will will come
Mizuno Edge this is now uncertain, the only other 18HS tean that paid and said they positively
would come was Pure FP and they qualified in So Cal
SGV Velocity-paid, bought tickets to Florida and will play

Obviously we are not pleased with giving away berths solely because a team entered but there
is nothing we can do for this year.
Gary Haning

by BenAround » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 am

PATHETIC

PAY TO PLAY IT SEEMS

Maybe too many births were given away, ooops awarded, up front in PGF's attempt to draw teams away from ASA. If those weren't tossed out like beads at Mardi-Gras more teams would have to actually earn their berths.

Funny, theres a Nor Cal qualifier the same weekend:
June 24-26, 2011 PGF Northern Cal Qualifier 14U, 16U, 18HS

The Cal teams that signed up for Fl. clearly knew they didn't have the skill to actually qualify, so they took the PAY to PLAY route.
Last edited by BenAround on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by 3monkeys » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:25 am

So you really had California teams willing to travel all the way to Florida for a qualifier, but yet one of Cali's biggest nationals concern was the travel required? Or could one simply look at the team list, realize there were more berths than teams registered, pay their entry, and know they would get a berth without even playing a game? just asking...
3monkeys

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:10 am

So just a question, but ASA has been doing this for many years as well. What would you like to see ASA and PGF do? If they do not award the berths and say that some of the teams (Florida) did not sign up for another and do not have the money to travel out of state to go and qualify, what would you want ASA/PGF to do?
Sftbll4ever

by Mr. Wonderful » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 am

Gary Haning wrote:We are not pleased with the outcome of this but following our stated policies below are the Florida berths. There were not more teams entered and paid and willing to commit to coming to Nationals than there were berths so there will be no games.

14U

16U

18HS
Mizuno Edge this is now uncertain, the only other 18HS tean that paid and said they positively

Obviously we are not pleased with giving away berths solely because a team entered but there

"paid and will play" vs "paid and will come" whats the difference in these statements?
Mr. Wonderful

by DOUBLE_L » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am

Mr. Wonderful wrote:
Gary Haning wrote:We are not pleased with the outcome of this but following our stated policies below are the Florida berths. There were not more teams entered and paid and willing to commit to coming to Nationals than there were berths so there will be no games.

14U

16U

18HS

"paid and will play" vs "paid and will come" whats the difference in these statements?

The way I read it "paid and will come" are teams that will have to travel to PGF nationals vs. local Socal teams.
Don't you know bout the bird...Everybody knows the bird is the word.
DOUBLE_L
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ssarge » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 am

So you really had California teams willing to travel all the way to Florida for a qualifier, but yet one of Cali's biggest nationals concern was the travel required? Or could one simply look at the team list, realize there were more berths than teams registered, pay their entry, and know they would get a berth without even playing a game? just asking...

I don't know about the entries / berth thing.

I do know that traveling for a weekend to a qualifier sucks. . . . .

Traveling for about 10 days sucks a lot worse. Particularly if you are traveling to locust central, with the sound of the cicadas in the trees so loud it is distracting. But welcome because listening to them is SOMETHING to do.

This year, Gold Nats are in San Diego, which was a pretty good face-saving second choice. But there aren't going to be a lot of top teams there. There just aren't. The anecdote you cite indicates how desirable it is to somehow obtain a berth to Premier.
ssarge

by rukidding » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:38 am

I just love how this is all turning out. Yes the top teams from SoCal are all going to PGF and yes they are the best teams in the country but . . . . . . .

Look at the Florida qualifier. 4 berths & 4 entries. You are going to get the Lil Saints who are at best the number 5 or 6 team from Arizona (and could not qualify for ASA in 2 attempts). Texas 6 berths 6 teams. Pay to play all the way!

The automatic invites to the teams, many who are very deserving, and then those who were left out. Team Arizona for one. Everyone in front of and behind this team at 12u nationals was invited but not them. I wonder why? Yes they did not look good at the SoCals finest tournament but they have never lost a game to the Saints! My DD's team qualified in Colorado and TAZ has run ruled us nearly every time we have played them this year, and yet we are going just because we spent the money to travel. Pay to play indeed!

Yes there is no doubt that the PGF will feature some of the toip teams in the country but it is just as big a farce as ASA when it comes to qualifying and who goes and who is not. In fact it might even be worse simply because of the automatic invites.
rukidding

by dodgerblue » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:52 am

Where can we send a check for "pay to play" :o
And everybody says PGF will be better than ASA the only difference is PGF is in So Cal and makes it a much better location than Midland. Bottom line is it's the same crap and a good ole boys you let me use your fields and I will give you a berth. Come look at some of these teams that got automatic bids couldn't qualify even if the tried but you get access to Diamond Valley fields and Irvine fields right? Pathetic, you should've just cancelled tournaments with poor attendance and had an emergency one in So Cal and I bet it would've filled up. I gaurantee you this that teams that qualified from the East Coast won't make the trip because they're too tight to spend money like we do here in So Cal. So get prepared for the filler teams that they will add last minute like last year. Please dont send me private messages reagarding this "its the truth and everbody knows it" it's no secret. Maybe next year when everybody has to qualify might make it interesting.
dodgerblue

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch