Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF v. ASA

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by porcupine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:23 am

Apart from the fact that ASA puts national championships is godforsaken places like Alabama, Tennessee, Indiana, and South Dakota, one common issue relates to ASA's unwillingness to communicate with its constituents. PGF has fixed the geographic issues, but the PGF communication just plain sucks. The website is consistently outdated by months, nobody can see who is playing where, or get results, or track qualified teams, etc. Also, based on unscientific exit polls from the precincts reporting to date, the qualifiers have been plagued with problems. (Which, I assume, will be ironed out by June 16).

If PGF is supposed to be a big deal, why is it not handled that way? :?: Until it is run across the board as a top shelf organization, ASA will continue to be the better option, weather be damned. :!:
Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
-Otter
porcupine

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:44 am

Yes, they both have their organzational issues. But as long as ASA insists on playing Nationals in hellholes like Midland they will lose business and credibility.

You'd be surprised what people will put up with to go to Southern CA to play in August instead of a place like Midland, TX.

It's not an elitist attitude or anything against the people of Midland, it's sheer common sense.

Nutshell: No one, not even the people that live there, want to be in Midland in August. Why would a team that could play against like or better competition travel there over Huntington Beach? Answer: They won't.
Last edited by fastpitchdad05 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 am

ASA isnt losing anything. When you have a qualifier run like the one in AZ this last weekend, and a history of Surf City eff ups by the same people who run both organizations, there is no loss of sleep at ASA.
ontheblack

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:57 am

ontheblack wrote:ASA isnt losing anything. When you have a qualifier run like the one in AZ this last weekend, and a history of Surf City eff ups by the same people who run both organizations, there is no loss of sleep at ASA.

Black, You know I have been extremely critical of how Surf City is run in the past. That said, even if my RRs team qualifies for Midland this weekend we will absolutely, 110% not be going to Midland.

Your criticism is heard, understood and agreed with (to a point).
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by porcupine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:14 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:That said, even if my RRs team qualifies for Midland this weekend we will absolutely, 110% not be going to Midland.

My big fear is that Gary and Dan are so certain that everyone wants to come here that just like with Surf City they will not bother with all the other little things, you know, like providing timely information and running good tournaments. It still works for showcases but will not work for NCs. Then we are stuck deciding between a poor product in a great location or a better product in a terrible location. Easy choice for CA teams but soon nobody else will come.
Last edited by porcupine on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
-Otter
porcupine

by ontheblack » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 pm

A few coaches have told me that as well. It still isnt going to hurt ASA. They will have @ 100 teams in TX. I dont believe that they really care which ones.

IMO economics will have as big an impact as Premier on the number of teams that go to Midland. I think the biggest benefactor here in California will be Westerns.

What will you do?
ontheblack

by smash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Its time for Triple Crown to step up. They do the best job with keeping things updated and organization.
smash

by sftblldud » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 pm

1. PGF
2. ASA
3. Triple Crown
4. USSSA
5. Little League
6. IFA
7. ?????

It is my understanding that PGF was started because most of the Calif. TB coaches were tired of going to Okla City to see Calif. TB teams do well. And that the College Coaches were there solely to "Babysit" there recruits and not actually recruit! So in hindsight, why spend all the money to go to the Midwest when most if not all the talent is in the west. The SELL, come to Sunny Calif. near the Beach, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, Weather(no Thunder, Lightning, Rain delays), Beach, San Diego Zoo, etc...... That to me in a nutshell is a no brainer!!!
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:08 pm

smash wrote:Its time for Triple Crown to step up. They do the best job with keeping things updated and organization.

I'm with you 110%. I actually suggested at one point a few months back that all the teams go to Park City on their own volition. The "national championship" is where the best teams converge to play. It doesn't have to be at PGF or ASA.

I'm not sure why a movement toward Triple Crown has never really begun.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by arkansassoftball » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 pm

The PGF Qualifier in Houston was very well ran and the updated final brackets are already posted on PGF's website. So, if there was a problem with a Qualifier elswhere, maybe it was a problem with the local TD. I would suggest reporting those problems to PGF Staff.

There was an ASA Qualifier this past weekend for 14U and all 3 teams eneterd were from the same city, but had to drive 4 hours away to play each other. 3 weeks ago there was an ASA Qualifier that only had a few teams entered and when contacting the TD to enter he would tell everyone that it was going to be cancelled duee to lack of teams. So, our 14U teams didn't send in their entry and money, then the TD just gave a berth to the first team to send in entry fee.

Huntington Beach with the best teams in the Nation or Chattanooga TN/Midland TX with the middle of the pack teams?????? Easy decision.
arkansassoftball

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch