Questions and discussions involving PGF

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 am

CULater wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:
lvtwft wrote:
softball4everandever wrote:
TexasYellowBall wrote:
PDad wrote:
softball4everandever wrote:Did 14u teams play in North Texas qualifier? Or were 4 berths (instead of 3) just handed to 4 teams that paid?

3 more teams appeared on the 14U qualified list - 2 were entered in the NoTX qualifier (i.e. Firecrackers DFW, San Diego Aztecs) and the other was not (Birmingham Vipers).

They did not play............

Odd that they went through the motions of making a bracket & posting it then the teams didn't play?? Other teams from CA that are going to OR qualifier should have paid for TX & saved $ on airfare. :lol:

JMO, give us some insight on this?
How did those teams get in without going to a qualifier?
I am not part of the old boys club, but would love to know how they got in and or if they were invited?

Nothing that ASA hasn't done a hundred times!!

ha ha ha ha but daaaaaaad....everyone one else has one..... really???

You are going with the ASA has done it before excuse? I was under the impression PGF was created to get away from all the things ASA did poorly.

That is exactly what PGF has done. ASA gives invites to poor teams to fill out their tournament to 160 teams and make more $'s. With the unfortunate downside that your first 3 rounds of the draw are a complete crap shoot. Meaning which ever top 10 teams draws three cupcake fill-in's will likely end up winning nationals.

PGF gives invites to strong teams to improve the competition of their tournament. And continue to hold the number of teams to a low number.

One approach is definitely smarter than the other. I suspect it may not be clear to you, as you have a vested interest.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CULater » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
CULater wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:
lvtwft wrote:
TexasYellowBall wrote:
PDad wrote:
softball4everandever wrote:Did 14u teams play in North Texas qualifier? Or were 4 berths (instead of 3) just handed to 4 teams that paid?

3 more teams appeared on the 14U qualified list - 2 were entered in the NoTX qualifier (i.e. Firecrackers DFW, San Diego Aztecs) and the other was not (Birmingham Vipers).

They did not play............

Odd that they went through the motions of making a bracket & posting it then the teams didn't play?? Other teams from CA that are going to OR qualifier should have paid for TX & saved $ on airfare. :lol:

JMO, give us some insight on this?
How did those teams get in without going to a qualifier?
I am not part of the old boys club, but would love to know how they got in and or if they were invited?

Nothing that ASA hasn't done a hundred times!!

ha ha ha ha but daaaaaaad....everyone one else has one..... really???

You are going with the ASA has done it before excuse? I was under the impression PGF was created to get away from all the things ASA did poorly.

That is exactly what PGF has done. ASA gives invites to poor teams to fill out their tournament to 160 teams and make more $'s. With the unfortunate downside that your first 3 rounds of the draw are a complete crap shoot. Meaning which ever top 10 teams draws three cupcake fill-in's will likely end up winning nationals.

PGF gives invites to strong teams to improve the competition of their tournament. And continue to hold the number of teams to a low number.

One approach is definitely smarter than the other. I suspect it may not be clear to you, as you have a vested interest.

Its clear, ASA invites poor teams to get to 160, PGF is inviting teams that didn't qualify after repeated attempts, to get to 45 teams.

Not sure either is smarter than the other. One is doing it to fill their tournament to make money and the other is filling in order to make sure they have "enough" teams.

Not all of the teams invited to PGF, especially in the 12U and 14U events, are strong teams, and none of them were invited to hold the number of teams to a low number. Quite the contrary, especially at 12U and 14U.
CULater

by ontheblack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am

ontheblack wrote:SD Aztecs competed in two qualifiers. Solid 98 team one takes lightly at their own peril.

So why not just give them a berth from the beginning instead of make them pay for 3 qualifiers if they are worthy?

Can the same be said about FC DFW?

I dont know about the Texas FC team. It makes sense that if you do have to give out a berth that expands your reach with teams that want to be there. I do know that the Aztecs were not looking for a handout, which is why they entered 3 qualifiers and played in two. They could have qualified in AZ if not for one shaky inning, and I would bet their entry fee that they would have qualified if given the chance to play the TX Q.
ontheblack

by Trophy Hunter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:

It's clear to me, even with the heavily biased slant you put on it...
-it takes more than 3 cupcake wins to win ASA nationals, by sheer numbers alone. You decry the number of teams, then claim it takes about a days worth of effort to win the whole thing. Your rationale should at least be rational.
-PGF did not invite these teams, they allowed them to advance when no one else showed up for the qualifier. There is a difference, and it's not just semantic. Plus it benefits PGF that they are non-CA teams.
-you claim they are strong but we won't know if they are "strong" (competitive) PGF teams until after the tournament. Just because PGF invites them doesn't make them strong. That is usually determined by the players, on the dirt, so we will see.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by softball4everandever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 am

ontheblack wrote:
ontheblack wrote:SD Aztecs competed in two qualifiers. Solid 98 team one takes lightly at their own peril.

So why not just give them a berth from the beginning instead of make them pay for 3 qualifiers if they are worthy?

Can the same be said about FC DFW?

I dont know about the Texas FC team. It makes sense that if you do have to give out a berth that expands your reach with teams that want to be there.

FC DFW played in earlier TX qualifier & didn't win one game , played in second TX qualifier and didn't play one game but got berth. Berths should have been offered to teams from other qualifiers that got 5th or 6th.

I agree Aztecs are a worthy addition to PGF, they are in Bracky's top ten! Solid team that will go far...
Last edited by softball4everandever on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
softball4everandever

by ontheblack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am

Order of finish has nothing to do with what one bad inning cost them, which put them into the loser bracket. But it doesnt matter, they didnt win when they needed to win. My point is that the Aztecs are not a bad choice at this point for a berth.

I agree though that PGF still needs to tweak the process, something they know as well.
ontheblack

by softball4everandever » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 am

ontheblack wrote:Order of finish has nothing to do with what one bad inning cost them, which put them into the loser bracket. But it doesnt matter, they didnt win when they needed to win. My point is that the Aztecs are not a bad choice at this point for a berth.

I agree though that PGF still needs to tweak the process, something they know as well.

Good luck to your team, Aztecs. :)
softball4everandever

by jonriv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 am

To PGF's credit they have put this together in a very short time with little to no infrastructure. They are trying hard to maintain quality, still have enough to hold the tournament, and reach new marketplaces. Frankly, I wish them success. Competition is a good thing- it opens more opportunities and improves performance by everyone. If nothing else it has forced ASA to tighten up its game and I think has emboldened USSSA to take on ASA on the Rec and TB fronts in areas where ASA is weak
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:17 pm

ontheblack wrote:Order of finish has nothing to do with what one bad inning cost them, which put them into the loser bracket. But it doesnt matter, they didnt win when they needed to win. My point is that the Aztecs are not a bad choice at this point for a berth.

Good luck to your team, Aztecs. :)

Are you trying to say that you think OTB's DD plays for the Aztecs?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 pm

hmmm, did more teams get added to 16u :?: :o
Should I be watching? Is someone watching :roll:
Ate there "Heybucket" secret police. :)
Oh well, that is the business. Choose wisely grasshopper for a single grain can tip the scales. :ugeek:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch