Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

A good lesson for all

by onlooker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:24 pm

I dont think I have ever heard of such a thing up here in Nor Cal. I clicked on CA ads by mistake and the ad pinned at the top had something in it that I wish we would do up here. mind you, this is a top team/org recently, really sending a lot of girls off to top programs.

"All teams will shut down until after Labor day immediately after tryouts"

As i then go review the ASATournaments website for nor cal, you guessed it. First trny is BEFORE labor day up here.

Does ANYONE shut down up here? based on the number of ads i have seen for the 05 Breeze, im guessing they play year round once out of diapers?
onlooker

by defense20 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:24 pm

So no tourneys until after Labor Day?
defense20

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:30 pm

defense20 wrote:So no tourneys until after Labor Day?

Sounds like no tourneys, no practice, no nuthin' to me.

Good for them. Let the girls rest. My DD took the entire fall off this past season for the first time since she was 7 (she was 17 now 18) and she came back stronger and fresher than ever.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by onlooker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:59 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
defense20 wrote:So no tourneys until after Labor Day?

Sounds like no tourneys, no practice, no nuthin' to me.

Good for them. Let the girls rest. My DD took the entire fall off this past season for the first time since she was 7 (she was 17 now 18) and she came back stronger and fresher than ever.

That's how I read it too. No nothing until after labor day. Which probably means no tourney until the middle of September? Now that I typed "middle of September" I had to go look. Of WORTHY tournament hosts (Surf CIty, Triple Crown, did i miss one?).... the FIRST Surf City first tournament is Sep 25-27, the last weekend in September!!! Triple Crown first tournament is Sep 19 and 20..... 2 weeks after labor day.

I guess those 3-5 hour practices on sundays in August are going to pay off week 1 of september! and if those dont payoff the 2 nights a week during week oughta get us up to speed!!!! A little perplexed actually right now at this. I figured there were tournaments always going on down there.
onlooker

by Extrainnings » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 am

I have older girls that played in the early 2000s and there was always a break after the season ended and before tryouts also after tryouts and beginning of the season it was great, kids got a mental break of course there was still lessons and practice. With my daughter that plays now it's always rush to tryouts and usually coaches want to get a jump on the next team but some people are still traveling from nationals or summer vacations and miss the early tryouts, school is starting for some so it makes it difficult to make tryouts then there are 5 teams all wanting to do tryouts one day, same time I feel it's too crazy and rushed and stressful but if they want to play the kids and parents have to participate in the mad dash to tryouts and fall ball! Wish there was some rules to this all
Extrainnings
Premium Member
Premium Member

by kl43dad » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Our Silverstreak team does this. I know we are not the only one up here that does this.

We do tryouts as early as possible and it has nothing to do with beating the next team to players and everything to do with shutting down. This year we will take time off starting Wednesday through Labor Day then start practice. We will not play our first event until Sept 20th, during the fall we have a limited practice schedule to allow the girls to focus on school and enjoy school sports whether it is playing school sports or just being a part of the student body supporting their school at football games etc...

We do the same thing during the winter months after fall. Typical tryouts first weekend of December, No practice until late February early March. We don't play in January and February before high school like others do. Even when our girls were younger we didn't start practice until a week or two before the ASA Opener in March.

Parents, Players and Coaches all need down time.
kl43dad

Return to NorCal