Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Spring 2015 12u ranking

by quietstorm02 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:50 am

texmex45 wrote: The top four teams were the 4 remaining teams in the WINNER'S bracket.

I don't think anyone who was watching the tournament objectively would agree. With all due respect to the Georgia Impact who came west and made a bigtime statement with their performance all weekend, Firecrackers Young was the 2nd-best team in the field. Many watching who commented on it out loud felt that their quarterfinal game vs Corona Angels Tyson should have been the tournament final.

I don't get into rankings, because I think it's silly to "rank" a bunch of 11-12yo girls playing a game, but I'd disagree with them if I did. Why not just call it the "Vegas 20" or something? lol I don't want to sound like a jerk or to tell anyone how to think, but I wouldn't give so much credit just for showing up. I know going to Vegas was a major commitment for the players and families who went, but if you're going to do a list, Freebilly, why mark teams down so much for choosing not to do this tournament? I enjoy talking about how teams are performing and progressing, however, and I do congratulate all those teams who went out and got the job done last weekend, regardless of what their goals were.

Because of the tournament setup, the results can be a little deceptive, in my opinion. Teams only got 2 seeding games out of the 3 in pool play and 1 loss meant going into the silver bracket. So, if you had a heavyweight in your pool, it was going to be especially difficult to get into the gold for Sunday. Then on Sunday, you could win your 1st game and be out after 2, whereas 1st-game losers could potentially get 3-4 more games. Looking at the list, if you know these teams, then you know that silver bracket was loaded with strong teams, too.
quietstorm02

by texmex45 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:09 pm

quietstorm02 wrote:
texmex45 wrote: The top four teams were the 4 remaining teams in the WINNER'S bracket.

I don't think anyone who was watching the tournament objectively would agree. With all due respect to the Georgia Impact who came west and made a bigtime statement with their performance all weekend, Firecrackers Young was the 2nd-best team in the field. Many watching who commented on it out loud felt that their quarterfinal game vs Corona Angels Tyson should have been the tournament final.

I don't get into rankings, because I think it's silly to "rank" a bunch of 11-12yo girls playing a game, but I'd disagree with them if I did. Why not just call it the "Vegas 20" or something? lol I don't want to sound like a jerk or to tell anyone how to think, but I wouldn't give so much credit just for showing up. I know going to Vegas was a major commitment for the players and families who went, but if you're going to do a list, Freebilly, why mark teams down so much for choosing not to do this tournament? I enjoy talking about how teams are performing and progressing, however, and I do congratulate all those teams who went out and got the job done last weekend, regardless of what their goals were.

Because of the tournament setup, the results can be a little deceptive, in my opinion. Teams only got 2 seeding games out of the 3 in pool play and 1 loss meant going into the silver bracket. So, if you had a heavyweight in your pool, it was going to be especially difficult to get into the gold for Sunday. Then on Sunday, you could win your 1st game and be out after 2, whereas 1st-game losers could potentially get 3-4 more games. Looking at the list, if you know these teams, then you know that silver bracket was loaded with strong teams, too.

Storm.....knock it off, you are making way too much sense for this thread!
texmex45

by roadrunner12 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:39 am

Please leet everyone continue to think the CC Dirt Dogs are not in Northern California, or had too easy of a run through the tournament. Back on November 24th for the 12 fall rankings thread I commented to watch out for the Dirt Dogs and also listed some of their accomplishments. The Dirt Dogs (formerly Lady Venom) are not new to the scene. We do not get caught up with rankings just the final results. We have much respect for all teams and know on any given day one team can beat another. That is what keeps us humble. I still must say a team where 10 of the 13 girls are from Madera with a population of 60,000 is still quite impressive.
roadrunner12

by texmex45 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 am

roadrunner12 wrote:Please leet everyone continue to think the CC Dirt Dogs are not in Northern California, or had too easy of a run through the tournament. Back on November 24th for the 12 fall rankings thread I commented to watch out for the Dirt Dogs and also listed some of their accomplishments. The Dirt Dogs (formerly Lady Venom) are not new to the scene. We do not get caught up with rankings just the final results. We have much respect for all teams and know on any given day one team can beat another. That is what keeps us humble. I still must say a team where 10 of the 13 girls are from Madera with a population of 60,000 is still quite impressive.

I don't think anyone here has minimized anything that the CCDD's have accomplished or not given them their due respect. They did an outstanding job and have been on the rise for a while. Gotta have thick skin here on the Bucket sometimes. Again, since you are obviously a part of this fine team, great job.
texmex45

by quietstorm02 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:09 am

LOL! Thanks, Texmex! :D

Roadrunner, you guys have a great team. Your pitcher is always solid and your catcher is from another planet in terms of awesomeness. I don't like to single players out or put them on the spot like this, but when you see someone with that kind of talent, yet who still shows tremendous sportsmanship when she doesn't know anyone is watching or listening, I think it's good to give credit where it's due. I don't know anything about your players and families away from the field, but I think all our girls have a lot of respect for one another. Even though the score of that last game wasn't what we had hoped, I enjoyed watching both teams make plays and hit the ball well, which kept the late innings exciting after a very long day for both teams. Congratulations on your win!
quietstorm02

by mikemilly » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:22 am

Can't sleep on Bownet spring kickoff our #1 and #2 pitcher's were down. In Vegas we finally got healthy and beat 3 Socal teams
mikemilly

by quietstorm02 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am

texmex45 wrote:Gotta have thick skin here on the Bucket sometimes.

Truth! The Bucket is definitely not for the faint of heart. I know it's all in good fun, but when this list came out, I felt we were being trolled a little bit to see whether we as a group would react. I always say I'm not into rankings, yet I check this thread every week. lol If it were me, I'd want at least a few week sample to impact the evaluations instead of basing every little change on a single event. All the 02 teams have pretty much always been very respectful of one another and don't talk trash. It's those 01 and 03 parents who are responsible for any internet drama. :lol:
quietstorm02

by roadrunner12 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:58 pm

No faint of heart here. I have been at this travel ball stuff for over 30 years. I actually enjoy reading others express their opinions. In my opinion the bottom line is the final outcome of a tournament. As far as I know rankings do not get travel teams seedings into tournaments. Until that happens I will not concern myself with rankings although it does make for entertaining and interesting reading. I must say I too was one of those fans cheering watching the Firecracker team battle the Corono Angels.

I still say meeting other coaches, players, freinds, and parents is still one of my best joys of softball.

Much respect to all.
roadrunner12

by lockdown » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

The Vegas tourney didn't do much to change my rankings. I'll wait until after the Fresno tourney to come out with my updated list of top 10 teams. It's funny how some people think one week changes everything. It's a long season and the best teams will be obvious soon. Some of the new rankings crack me up....... Lol......
lockdown

by off the walls » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am

I think Universal Fastpitch 02. moved to the top after this weekend.
off the walls

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal