Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Top 12u Teams for fall

by roadrunner12 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 am

Wow! the shuffle and hip hopping in Northern California is better than a soap opera. Northern Cali does not have exclusive rights to the shuffling. More to come. You heard it first here. Beep! Beep!
roadrunner12

by Old Darter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:08 pm

rbi wrote: We had from what i understand was highest finish of any 12u team from NorCal ever for ASA, 3rd place.

It's a tie....

Lady Magic - 2005 12U ASA Nationals, Aurora, CO - 3rd Place

This is the team that went on to win ASA 16u A Nationals in 2008
Old Darter

by CheckWriter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:21 pm

This is the team that went on to win ASA 16u A Nationals in 2008

With the minor addition of Jolene and Lindsey.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:43 pm

So which team was RBI's team?
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slice » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:45 pm

jtat32 wrote:So which team was RBI's team?

California Grapettes - 2008 12-U ASA Nationals, Montgomery, AL - 3rd Place
slice

by moosemcnair@aol.com » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:35 am

RBI,
Norcal has won ASA Nationals in different age groups, but 3rd might be highest at 12U ever.
Lady Magic at 16U and Rugrats from Santa Rosa, Ca. once at 16U I believe.
Sorcerer 18 Gold winning it. and
Lots of top 10 finishes over the years. Then the most impressive year 2010 when
Bob P. SJ Sting took 1st at 14's and Kiko's Sorcerer took 3rd at 14U has to be one of the highest
finishes by 2 Norcal teams ever( also,look who finished 2nd that year, those Corona Angels)!
There might have been many more in the past, but that is what I remember.
What ever happen to Ca. Crunch, they vanished after winning nationals multiple times????

2010 ASA / USA Girls' Class A 14-Under Fast Pitch - in the subject line.

Place M/R Team Name Hometown Record
1st SAN JOSE STING San Jose., CA 8-1
2nd CORONA ANGELS 95 Corona, CA 8-2
3rd SORCERER Concord, CA 7-2
moosemcnair@aol.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:17 am

Moose, thanks for the research. Ironically, the same #1 for our team was Stings #1 two yrs later. Also, Sorcerer's rode one arm pretty much every game in route to their national title. Albeit, she was probably the last dominant workhorse NorCal has seen, with the exception of maybe Sorcerer kid that just went to UCLA, and even she had help and wasnt expected nor could she pitch every game in PGF. So as you get deeper into PGF and throw "#2", she better be legit as your not facing weak teams and you will be packing your bags before you can blink an eye if there is a big drop off in pitching.

You just dont have those LM teams of past that the core group of big time kids stuck together year after year, and/or the Sorcerer Natl Champ team that had a true workhorse who could throw 70 innings in a week.

The point i was trying to make was not that our 12's team was best all time, thats a debate im not into. It was to state the fact of how important having two quality pitchers are in a week long grind of a national championship is. Lets face it we dont have the Ricketts or Grauer's, Hendersons, Carda's, or Waljaspers floating around NorCal carrying teams....
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by moosemcnair@aol.com » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:32 am

I get your point and it is well said! I think you bring up a wake up call to coaches. We should be developing more pitching, by focusing less on winning at the young ages and a little more on development. I am seeing lots of teams that lean on their #1 pitchers too much these days. Some as young a 10U, pitching kids more then 2 games in a day at times and some at 12U pitching them 6 games in a weekend. In my mind these are not the quality of the workhorses you mentioned. I say Henderson and Carda where a pretty exceptional 1-2 punch. Anything over 2 games in 1 day for a pitcher is too much in my opinion. I do however think more teams should play 2 team 3 game friendlies back to back to back at 105 minutes. This will help them practice and be ready for championship play and losers brackets where you might play 5 in a row. It takes 3 pitchers, 2 catchers, and a 12 player roster with lots of interchangeable parts. Then do it in 95 degrees plus. This would help teams develop more pitching.

I do remember some of those teams , and they had great depth, core players that did not switch teams every season, and fantastic coaching. I also remember them playing up age divisions often in order to play better competition. Their pitchers learned how to pitch, not just throw and learned to get good hitters out. It was easier to do with more standard pitching distances and cleats in more age groups instead of spikes. Dominant 12U teams played 14U and sometimes 16U in order to get ready for Nationals. I think the overall pitching that I see is watered down from the recent past. I think there are too many teams, Players(parents) switching teams all the time. Fewer quality pitching coaches ( some are just taking parents money and the kid can't even step straight or their arm is 12 inches away from their body at release). There are also more sport options for the top athletes(there was never Rowing, Lacrosse, Rugby, Water polo, or other sports like there is currently). Even Basketball, soccer, swimming, and Volleyball have taken a toll as they developed more travel teams and better organized leagues. Having no softball in the Olympics doesn't help either and all those who hate sports and think competition is bad types take a toll. Many kids are just better at texting then playing these days!

I know I am old and grumpy, but I still have hope that NC will rise at times again. I know I am still having fun coaching, and the girls that play for me are having a blast! I do miss getting our butt kicked bad by a couple of the teams mentioned. We never felt too bad, because they were so good and I remember all of them being good sports against us (which was probably easy when we were lucky to have 2 hits, usually less).

Let's hope in this crazy competitive world, coaches can balance winning and player development at the same time. especially pitching! Let's hope parents will let their girls play with the same group for a couple years and actually develop some good friends instead of just temporary teammates. Let's hope a new law is passed banning texting(kidding). And finally lets hope that when a kid has 5 pitches that all spin the same way and are thrown with the same grip, that their pitching coaches can't find any business!!!
moosemcnair@aol.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 pm

I say Henderson and Carda where a pretty exceptional 1-2 punch.

Shelby wasn't exactly chopped liver for a 3rd punch, not to mention her bat (still at the top of her team in college).

Anything over 2 games in 1 day for a pitcher is too much in my opinion.

Good for you, Dr. Andrews agrees with you.

https://www.andrewsinstitute.com/injuryprevention/softball/injuries.aspx

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/files/pdf/AOSSM_Softball.pdf

Some key points:
• Don’t pitch more than two consecutive days until age 13, and then no more than three days in a row.
• Don’t play year-round.
• Radar Guns should only be used during competition for best pitch of speed vs. change up (ages 15+).

Got to talking about my DDs playing college ball with the grandma of a 10U. Told her about Andrews' recommendations / site. Ran in to her again and she told me that, much to her dismay, grandDD ptiched 5 complete games in 2 days because the other two pitchers were hurt. 3 anyone?

Going to be an awesome 14U, maybe even 16U, pitcher before her career ends. Guess there is always 1B if the hitting comes along and she can pick a ball out of the dirt (nothing wrong with being a good 1B, BTW, critical position, just less throwing than most positions).

Oh well, grandma doesn't count when it comes to parental glory.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by roadrunner12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 pm

The Lady Venom just won the Monica Abbott Classic. This team contrary to what others believe has ten 10 02's and three 03's. No 01's on the Venom team. The last two weeks they have defeated Team California 02 (twice), CC Fury, Strike Zone, Mavericks, and San Mateo Dirt Devils. The Venom lost to the 03 Breeze 6-3. Not bad for a team where 11 of the 13 girls reside in little ole Madera.The Force also continue to show strong as they are will be returning their entire team who field a solid pitcher and catcher. The Force will improve with additions during spring. The Venom may have changes coming that should help make them a better team in regards to resources. Hint: DDogs. Beep! Beep!
roadrunner12

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal