Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Can NorCal pull it off?

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:51 pm

rbi wrote:fastpitchdad, did you not read the first two sentences, when you been around it for a while you kind of get the idea of who is doing what at the top. Sorry if i gave you a headache with the long paragraph, i will try harder next time. Damn state school's anyhow what can i say :roll:

No worries. Let me go back an re-read your post and see if I can better understand what you're trying to say.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Okay I re-read it, paying close attention to the first two sentences and I am still a bit confused. What do you mean exactly by "forming just for PGF"? And if you feel comfortable doing so, please give us examples of which orgs are doing what you're saying.

Thanks
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
rbi wrote:fastpitchdad, did you not read the first two sentences, when you been around it for a while you kind of get the idea of who is doing what at the top. Sorry if i gave you a headache with the long paragraph, i will try harder next time. Damn state school's anyhow what can i say :roll:

No worries. Let me go back an re-read your post and see if I can better understand what you're trying to say.

EDIT/ADDENDUM: Okay I re-read it, paying close attention to the first two sentences and I am still a bit confused. What do you mean exactly by "forming just for PGF"? And if you feel comfortable doing so, please give us examples of which orgs are doing what you're saying.

Thanks

OK Ok Stop the Presses, now I see the confusion. I made a point in my original post that said teams put together 20-25 man rosters, and they play around with the roster throughout the season (meaning certain kids were or were not going to be playing on any given weekend), depending upon who they were playing, who had stuff going on (visits,SAT, etc etc..)
Then someone responded that i IMPLIED that teams were playing with rosters to form a super team for PGF. Then I responded by saying teams are NOT forming to play in PGF only, (as that is ludicrous, and would not work or happen), but teams play with their rosters throughout the season (not removing anyone just pick certain kids to play on any given weekend), nothing wrong with that, just a luxury of a "super team".
Now everyone picks up two or three kids that did not qualify to help out with the roster at PGF. :!:
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by onlooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:46 pm

rbi wrote:when you been around it for a while you kind of get the idea of who is doing what at the top.

No problem with you personally, I don't know you...however, for someone to say what you said above, I find too many things you type that show you haven't been around a while, or just don't get how it really works.

Things that point to me that possibly you are completely missing how it works:

1. although i do see some teams picking up kids at end of season, and PGF allows this and i think it is kind of nice for kids to get the chance to show their skills one more time that season, when they otherwise would not, and that goes on everywhere not just socal

A- Do you realize that ASA and MLB BOTH have pickup player rules too? It's not like it's just PGF doing this to be nice to a few kids who otherwise would not? lol....the kids who are good enough to do this get picked up, this isn't for PGF being nice, this is for deserving kids to help a team whether for depth or for playing.
B- Do you understand what happens to the roster when a team qualifies for PGF or ASA?
C - Do you understand what happens when a team does NOT qualify for PGF or ASA?
D- Do you understand what happens to an invited teams roster once they accept PGF bid?

2. its the amount of money a team has to attract certain players, supply the kids with first class training facilities, as much equipment as a college program, and top notch coaching, and get the best fields every weekend and play in front of the best schools in the country week end week out,

A- pretty sure this is knocking an organization for being successful. Doesn't that sound like an attractive place for your DD to play?
B- I suggest that the same org success can be had anywhere, say Wichita Kansas for example, IF they have the smarts to assemble the right staffs and board, then more power to them. Location is meaningless to this!!!!

3. great weather year round to practice and HS teams playing in Fall and Spring is just pure insanity

A- Is your DD at 3 practices a week in August up here in Nor Cal?
B- Are the teams that matter in So Cal at 3 practices a week in August?
C- Is your team going to get a few practices in after thanksgiving and before Christmas?
I submit for your approval that even though the weather may be a little nicer in so cal, they aren't ignorant fools and actually give their players time off in August and December, they don't need year round play, but apparently we sure do up here. Which reminds me we have practice tonight 5:30-8:00 or dark! dang it!.
D- High School ball? not sure its worth my fingertips to even compare the two, but what the hell, they must have it better than us because its different than us!

4. cuz you guys have the red carpet each year :roll: .Most of the SoCal Super teams only leave their own beds on weekends ONCE a year WITH a 30k budget, and some of the tournaments they play in are their OWN,

a. Red Carpet? wow.....life has handed you a bowl of pits apparently. MOVE! Just doing some quick math my DD's team is slated to go down to So Cal 3 times this fall. that leaves 3-4 weekends to stay up here in our own beds. Looks like teams from Arizona, Washington, Oregon and Nevada all signed up as well!!!

b. Their "own" tournaments???? checking that trusty schedule again of my DD's. well look here, it says we are playing Surf City, Surf City/Triple Crown and Surf City! In checking my buddies schedule down in LA....well look here, it says they are playing surf city, surf city/triple crown and surf city! Which org is that please?
c. the other weekends they play they are not playing in a tournament hosted by some dad or themselves (bittle, grapes, ybarra) they are playing friendlies vs teams of their caliber or better. LOL.....wow, a fundraiser AND getting gametime all in one event. Sounds like they even have umpire(s) come....shame on them, lol

5. You have teams flying all over the country from back EAST and South with HUGE budgets ,week end week out just to be seen. On top of that you have teams rolling up in team buses with name on it from the Midwest, others with four or five 15 passenger vans, one of which JUST for equipment (socal),, seriously shoot we share having kids bring the first aid kit and one other carries the wiffle's thats our "equipment van".

a. So let me get this straight....now the midwest teams have an advantage because they rode in the big buses as one happy family together? Was this your FIRST time at PGF? I believe they stayed at the Springhill Suites right off Slater Ave....and they even put their pants on one leg at a time just like me when they woke up in a hotel room in so cal.
b. this is about money isn't it? wrong forum...read rich dad, poor dad!

6. Norcal was real close to hanging with the big boys until the recent transformation of these "super teams", call it what you want, AND the infestation of copy cat teams up North that have severely spread out the talent base that there is up here, PLUS we have more and more talented NorCal kids feeling the need to jump on board the "super teams", just so mom and dad can tell everyone they do, when they dont really need to, and all that has KILLED our chances!.

A- again, there are NO super teams, just teams that are super talented who add talent who is avail AFTER the talents team has been eliminated.
B- lets be real for one second.....TC Smash, Lady Spartans, Grapettes x2, All American Mizuno, RR Gold and AASA. This is where the daddies came from to coach the new copycat NCFC teams. Knowing all of the teams pretty well, the influx of Nor Cal Firecrackers had NO bearing on spreading out talent. The talent remained with the coaches, they just changed jerseys! I think the Firecrackers up here have one well chronicled mover. Coach was All American Mizuno in the fall of 2013, NC Firecrackers in the spring/summer and now this fall 2014 hes KG Hitters. 1 year, 3 jerseys. The team remained the same! no spreading of talent, he's got his 5 or 6 (or more, or less) just like all of the other coaches who came to the firecracker ship.
C- I know of 2 girls in Nor Cal who play down south (one junior and one senior), There may be more but the 98's and under I dont see much. Nobody is running to super teams for mommy and daddy!
D- Nor Cal WILL win another national championship.....when? who knows? but the playing field is as even as it ever was, we just need to assemble girls born around the same year with some talented dads/coaches.....it's called hit or miss on age group talent! you don't think Jackie Robinson West is thinking next year is theirs again too, do you? (that's a little league reference)

7. Bottom line is, the days of NorCal winning a National title are gone, at least at PGF, but with that being said once you figure it out that its NOT all about winning and its about providing an opportunity for our kids to get an education at a great university, then everything is ok, because 2 weeks after PGF is over nobody cares, and a LOT of lucky kids are packing their bags to great schools and thats what its all about

A- I will re-writ for you..........Bottom line is, the days of NorCal winning a National title won't happen again until we compile a bunch of talent on one team. simply. Once you figure it out that its NOT all about winning and its about providing an opportunity for our kids to get an education at a great university, then you will understand that that school that provides the best education, with the bet fields, with the best equipment (Stanford) where you WONT win, is better than UCLA where you might just win! Everything is ok, because 2 weeks after PGF, the families whose DD has required them to take this seriously still care, and a LOT of hard working kids kids are packing their bags to great schools and that's what its all about.

bottom line is the moral of your story is LUCK, MONEY, and DOMICILE determine your DD's success. I think you have it all wrong.

before i was able to post this FPDad and you had a couple posts..... furthering my confusion on your knowledge......No need to stop the presses, i'd just stop typing.

8!!! Now everyone picks up two or three kids that did not qualify to help out with the roster at PGF.

everyone picks up two or three? set down the crack pipe. there are not 150 girls being picked up at PGF! JEEZE! I would venture to say it's P's, and Speed which everyone can use, or its specific to depth or injury replacement! again....... MLB and ASA both do it....not sure what the problem is? lol

again, nothing ill meant RBI, but I dont think our takes on Nor Cal softball are anywhere near the same.
onlooker

by rbi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm

onlooker wrote:
rbi wrote:when you been around it for a while you kind of get the idea of who is doing what at the top.

No problem with you personally, I don't know you...however, for someone to say what you said above, I find too many things you type that show you haven't been around a while, or just don't get how it really works.

Things that point to me that possibly you are completely missing how it works:

1. although i do see some teams picking up kids at end of season, and PGF allows this and i think it is kind of nice for kids to get the chance to show their skills one more time that season, when they otherwise would not, and that goes on everywhere not just socal

A- Do you realize that ASA and MLB BOTH have pickup player rules too? It's not like it's just PGF doing this to be nice to a few kids who otherwise would not? lol....the kids who are good enough to do this get picked up, this isn't for PGF being nice, this is for deserving kids to help a team whether for depth or for playing.
B- Do you understand what happens to the roster when a team qualifies for PGF or ASA?
C - Do you understand what happens when a team does NOT qualify for PGF or ASA?
D- Do you understand what happens to an invited teams roster once they accept PGF bid?

2. its the amount of money a team has to attract certain players, supply the kids with first class training facilities, as much equipment as a college program, and top notch coaching, and get the best fields every weekend and play in front of the best schools in the country week end week out,

A- pretty sure this is knocking an organization for being successful. Doesn't that sound like an attractive place for your DD to play?
B- I suggest that the same org success can be had anywhere, say Wichita Kansas for example, IF they have the smarts to assemble the right staffs and board, then more power to them. Location is meaningless to this!!!!

3. great weather year round to practice and HS teams playing in Fall and Spring is just pure insanity

A- Is your DD at 3 practices a week in August up here in Nor Cal?
B- Are the teams that matter in So Cal at 3 practices a week in August?
C- Is your team going to get a few practices in after thanksgiving and before Christmas?
I submit for your approval that even though the weather may be a little nicer in so cal, they aren't ignorant fools and actually give their players time off in August and December, they don't need year round play, but apparently we sure do up here. Which reminds me we have practice tonight 5:30-8:00 or dark! dang it!.
D- High School ball? not sure its worth my fingertips to even compare the two, but what the hell, they must have it better than us because its different than us!

4. cuz you guys have the red carpet each year :roll: .Most of the SoCal Super teams only leave their own beds on weekends ONCE a year WITH a 30k budget, and some of the tournaments they play in are their OWN,

a. Red Carpet? wow.....life has handed you a bowl of pits apparently. MOVE! Just doing some quick math my DD's team is slated to go down to So Cal 3 times this fall. that leaves 3-4 weekends to stay up here in our own beds. Looks like teams from Arizona, Washington, Oregon and Nevada all signed up as well!!!

b. Their "own" tournaments???? checking that trusty schedule again of my DD's. well look here, it says we are playing Surf City, Surf City/Triple Crown and Surf City! In checking my buddies schedule down in LA....well look here, it says they are playing surf city, surf city/triple crown and surf city! Which org is that please?
c. the other weekends they play they are not playing in a tournament hosted by some dad or themselves (bittle, grapes, ybarra) they are playing friendlies vs teams of their caliber or better. LOL.....wow, a fundraiser AND getting gametime all in one event. Sounds like they even have umpire(s) come....shame on them, lol

5. You have teams flying all over the country from back EAST and South with HUGE budgets ,week end week out just to be seen. On top of that you have teams rolling up in team buses with name on it from the Midwest, others with four or five 15 passenger vans, one of which JUST for equipment (socal),, seriously shoot we share having kids bring the first aid kit and one other carries the wiffle's thats our "equipment van".

a. So let me get this straight....now the midwest teams have an advantage because they rode in the big buses as one happy family together? Was this your FIRST time at PGF? I believe they stayed at the Springhill Suites right off Slater Ave....and they even put their pants on one leg at a time just like me when they woke up in a hotel room in so cal.
b. this is about money isn't it? wrong forum...read rich dad, poor dad!

6. Norcal was real close to hanging with the big boys until the recent transformation of these "super teams", call it what you want, AND the infestation of copy cat teams up North that have severely spread out the talent base that there is up here, PLUS we have more and more talented NorCal kids feeling the need to jump on board the "super teams", just so mom and dad can tell everyone they do, when they dont really need to, and all that has KILLED our chances!.

A- again, there are NO super teams, just teams that are super talented who add talent who is avail AFTER the talents team has been eliminated.
B- lets be real for one second.....TC Smash, Lady Spartans, Grapettes x2, All American Mizuno, RR Gold and AASA. This is where the daddies came from to coach the new copycat NCFC teams. Knowing all of the teams pretty well, the influx of Nor Cal Firecrackers had NO bearing on spreading out talent. The talent remained with the coaches, they just changed jerseys! I think the Firecrackers up here have one well chronicled mover. Coach was All American Mizuno in the fall of 2013, NC Firecrackers in the spring/summer and now this fall 2014 hes KG Hitters. 1 year, 3 jerseys. The team remained the same! no spreading of talent, he's got his 5 or 6 (or more, or less) just like all of the other coaches who came to the firecracker ship.
C- I know of 2 girls in Nor Cal who play down south (one junior and one senior), There may be more but the 98's and under I dont see much. Nobody is running to super teams for mommy and daddy!
D- Nor Cal WILL win another national championship.....when? who knows? but the playing field is as even as it ever was, we just need to assemble girls born around the same year with some talented dads/coaches.....it's called hit or miss on age group talent! you don't think Jackie Robinson West is thinking next year is theirs again too, do you? (that's a little league reference)

7. Bottom line is, the days of NorCal winning a National title are gone, at least at PGF, but with that being said once you figure it out that its NOT all about winning and its about providing an opportunity for our kids to get an education at a great university, then everything is ok, because 2 weeks after PGF is over nobody cares, and a LOT of lucky kids are packing their bags to great schools and thats what its all about

A- I will re-writ for you..........Bottom line is, the days of NorCal winning a National title won't happen again until we compile a bunch of talent on one team. simply. Once you figure it out that its NOT all about winning and its about providing an opportunity for our kids to get an education at a great university, then you will understand that that school that provides the best education, with the bet fields, with the best equipment (Stanford) where you WONT win, is better than UCLA where you might just win! Everything is ok, because 2 weeks after PGF, the families whose DD has required them to take this seriously still care, and a LOT of hard working kids kids are packing their bags to great schools and that's what its all about.

bottom line is the moral of your story is LUCK, MONEY, and DOMICILE determine your DD's success. I think you have it all wrong.

before i was able to post this FPDad and you had a couple posts..... furthering my confusion on your knowledge......No need to stop the presses, i'd just stop typing.

8!!! Now everyone picks up two or three kids that did not qualify to help out with the roster at PGF.

everyone picks up two or three? set down the crack pipe. there are not 150 girls being picked up at PGF! JEEZE! I would venture to say it's P's, and Speed which everyone can use, or its specific to depth or injury replacement! again....... MLB and ASA both do it....not sure what the problem is? lol

again, nothing ill meant RBI, but I dont think our takes on Nor Cal softball are anywhere near the same.

Thanks onlooker for the education on NorCal TB, you have totally missed my point, now i know why i have not been on here in a while, im good and good luck to you and your DD , wow
Last edited by rbi on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by onlooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

You mean i typed all of that and I missed your point?
onlooker

by rbi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

onlooker wrote:You mean i typed all of that and I missed your point?

Yea you did because, you missed the sarcasm to certain people that was obviously over your head, which is fine i get that, but please dont try and educate me about TB, PGF or HS ball. Let me tell you off the top of my head i can name probably a dozen kids in just last four years that have played for top SoCal teams at Gold level (some of which would fly in JUST for practice on weekends, and others that NEVER went to a practice), I saw them every weekend and chatted with most about their experience. Thats without me asking people about others, thats just my experience but we were at same places playing the same damn top teams every weekend for last four years, taking our lumps and beating THE best all at same time, so I didnt get around much last several years, but i need to stop typing so, Have a great evening and best of luck on your DD's TB future
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by onlooker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:45 pm

fair enough, i totally missed sarcasm, my fault. I will admit while typing I was asking myself if this is an 18U subject that he is comparing, more than 12-16's, i was under the impression it was intended for 12-16's.....again, my fault. all good, thanks for the good luck, same to yours.
onlooker

by Tenshun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:50 pm

rbi wrote:

Yea you did because, you missed the sarcasm to certain people that was obviously over your head, which is fine i get that, but please dont try and educate me about TB, PGF or HS ball. Let me tell you off the top of my head i can name probably a dozen kids in just last four years that have played for top SoCal teams at Gold level, I saw them every weekend and chatted with most about their experience. Thats without me asking people about others, thats just my experience but we were at same places playing the same damn top teams every weekend for last four years, taking our lumps and beating THE best all at same time, so I didnt get around much last several years, but i need to stop typing so, Have a great evening and best of luck on your DD's TB future

I really miss the sage advice and postings from guys like RBI and others who have obviously been around the block before. It's unfortunate that every word is scrutinized when they are just trying to share their experiences.

I think much of the differing opinions comes down to perspective. All the ups and downs of softball throughout the years has given them greater insight into what really matters in the game and development of young players. It's probably a difficult concept to grasp when it feels like you're still down in the trenches. but give it some time. There is an inevitable maturation process that happens throughout the travel ball process, in both players and parents as well.
No courage. No game.
Tenshun

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Tenshun wrote:
rbi wrote:

Yea you did because, you missed the sarcasm to certain people that was obviously over your head, which is fine i get that, but please dont try and educate me about TB, PGF or HS ball. Let me tell you off the top of my head i can name probably a dozen kids in just last four years that have played for top SoCal teams at Gold level, I saw them every weekend and chatted with most about their experience. Thats without me asking people about others, thats just my experience but we were at same places playing the same damn top teams every weekend for last four years, taking our lumps and beating THE best all at same time, so I didnt get around much last several years, but i need to stop typing so, Have a great evening and best of luck on your DD's TB future

I really miss the sage advice and postings from guys like RBI and others who have obviously been around the block before. It's unfortunate that every word is scrutinized when they are just trying to share their experiences.

I think much of the differing opinions comes down to perspective. All the ups and downs of softball throughout the years has given them greater insight into what really matters in the game and development of young players. It's probably a difficult concept to grasp when it feels like you're still down in the trenches. but give it some time. There is an inevitable maturation process that happens throughout the travel ball process, in both players and parents as well.

I don't think it's scrutiny as much as just trying to decipher what he's trying to say in the run-on sentences and 30 sentence paragraphs... :lol:

That said, I think I finally figured it out. :geek:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:03 pm

And to think I still have to take the wrath from Spaz when he finally clocks in for the day makes my stomach hurt, :P :P :)

hey fastpitch you do English tutoring because between you and my wife i cant take the bullying anymore :(
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to NorCal