Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Coach’s determination on “potential”

by rbi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Not a real fan of a "coach" telling a 12yr old kid she basically has tapped out at 12, you freakin kidding me. With that being said, my kid got cut from a well known 12U team her first yr of 12's coming from rec ball, and then following yr played for another well known 12u team as a reserve all the way up to the semi finals of the old ASA nationals (pre PGF), when she finally EARNED a spot in order, all the while playing for a tough cookie whom as far as ,mental toughness played a big role in what she is today. I am more proud of her for that more than anything she has done since. The light turned on that skinny left handed bunter/slapper and never looked back since age 12, She ended up in a pretty good place through serious work ethic and determination and competitiveness , and will EARN her degree the same way and maybe even fight for a Natty! So, dreams do come true but it aint easy and dont let ANYBODY tell you that you have reached your "potential" at ANY age, its all a matter of how bad you want it, i know my kid wanted it BAD!
FWIW
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 pm

I sat next to a D1 coach last year @ PGF 16's & chatted about Dd's teammate who he said he thought had "great Potential" well I hope so because she didn't hit her weigh. We rarely hear of the kid who lost their scholarship, & despite discussions on how certain teams carry 22+ players those that drop out or get the boot don't come on here & post.

There's also a difference between kids who "peak" at 12, we all know the type, mature early and then do not continue to grow for any number of reasons & get passed by the harder working girls who want it more or who just seem to bust their butt day in & day out. Sometimes people confuse potential for natural ability & desire & some people are just idiots
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 pm

-
Last edited by rbi on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CTCBAT » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

What does potential even mean?

12 year old kids don't reach their potential in anything! Maybe...just maybe if you have one of those really smart ones they have stopped using their fingers to do multiplication by 12.

If anyone has said your kid has peaked they did you a favor! If you want your kid to get better it's work. COMBINED with the proper instruction. Once the two come together I've yet seen a kid improve. No you can't turn a kid who can't play into a D1 stud but if a player is a good/very good athlete and has the passion to play you have a shot.
CTCBAT

Previous

Return to NorCal