Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Hitting: tip & myth of the week

by MrHittingCoach » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Tip:

Half of your BP should be oppo.

Myth: (taught by some, but not true)

Your hands should start to roll over at contact.
Last edited by MrHittingCoach on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrHittingCoach

by watchtonsofsoftball » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 pm

didn't know that was a myth? Hmm, news to me. If you start to roll over on contact power is lost and your going to pound it in the ground. Seems simple enough.
watchtonsofsoftball

by handsinsidetheball » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Palm up/Palm down, 90 degree contact point (ideal), your body will force wrist roll in follow through or apply top hand removal during follow through to ensure no wrist roll. ;)
handsinsidetheball
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MrHittingCoach » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 pm

2 great posts watchtonsofsb & handsinsidetheball(good advice also)

Some people still teach rolling at contact even though its a proven fact that when you start to roll your wrists, deceleration begins. Hence, the loss of power. Good hitters get good extension through the ball, then roll into follow through. And, yes topping the ball can occur causing a lot of weak ground balls.

The later you roll the better. 'Palm up' as long as possible keeps your barrel in the zone longer and through the ball better.

PS. if you're near Modesto and want to get better at this, give me a call or email...
btw. the above and a few other minor changes can turn a line drive hitter into a gap hitter OR a gap hitter into a power hitter!
MrHittingCoach

by lookingIN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Mr Hittingcoach..are you posting up here to find the right answer and than going back and teaching it to people who dont know any better.... :lol: No, your not doing that :roll: love the discussion though.......... 8-)
lookingIN

by MrHittingCoach » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 pm

lookingIN wrote:Mr Hittingcoach..are you posting up here to find the right answer and than going back and teaching it to people who dont know any better.... :lol: No, your not doing that :roll: love the discussion though.......... 8-)

Just offering some hitting advice to whom ever wants it.

One would have to be an idiot to do what you're suggesting. I guess you're joking?
MrHittingCoach

by lookingIN » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:20 pm

MrHittingCoach wrote:
lookingIN wrote:Mr Hittingcoach..are you posting up here to find the right answer and than going back and teaching it to people who dont know any better.... :lol: No, your not doing that :roll: love the discussion though.......... 8-)

Just offering some hitting advice to whom ever wants it.

One would have to be an idiot to do what you're suggesting. I guess you're joking?

Yes I was joking, after all...you are on Hey Bucket :ugeek:
lookingIN

by Heyall » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:06 am

MrHittingCoach wrote:2 great posts watchtonsofsb & handsinsidetheball(good advice also)

Some people still teach rolling at contact even though its a proven fact that when you start to roll your wrists, deceleration begins...

I would agree with this concept whole-heartedly and it's something I have NEVER taught. That being said though, do you have something to back up the "proven fact" statement? I've never seen anything on this and would love to know where I can find it! :)
Heyall

by EzOut.EzOut » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm

MrHittingCoach wrote:Tip:

Half of your BP should be oppo.

Sorry, but what is "oppo"?
EzOut.EzOut

by rbi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:46 pm

"oppo" is short for opposite, or hitting the ball the other way.

Shoot, as many failed bunts as I see, you might want to consider bunting half of the batting practice instead of going "oppo".
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to NorCal