Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Is Norcal getting to many teams?

by Fun4All » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:OK - considering the 12u talent pool is watered down throughout NorCal, who are going to be the top 5 teams in NorCal? I know that nobody knows squat at this moment, but let's hear your predictions just for fun. :)

I know you said this is just for fun, but... what exactly are we supposed to base our predictions on?? No one even knows exactly who is on what team, which 98s opted to move up, which ones stayed down, etc... :roll:

Like I said, just for fun. Just trying to stir the pot and get some conversation going. Getting excited to watch some good quality 12u ball in NorCal this fall and I know Norcal will send a strong contender to Nationals next year. ;)

Well then, Bad Dog... Give it up... What is YOUR prediction?
Fun4All

by Bad dog » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:OK - considering the 12u talent pool is watered down throughout NorCal, who are going to be the top 5 teams in NorCal? I know that nobody knows squat at this moment, but let's hear your predictions just for fun. :)

I know you said this is just for fun, but... what exactly are we supposed to base our predictions on?? No one even knows exactly who is on what team, which 98s opted to move up, which ones stayed down, etc... :roll:

Like I said, just for fun. Just trying to stir the pot and get some conversation going. Getting excited to watch some good quality 12u ball in NorCal this fall and I know Norcal will send a strong contender to Nationals next year. ;)

The Dog doesn't have one. I don't know squat. :lol: :lol:
Bad dog

by Fun4All » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:22 am

Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:

GOOD ANSWER, Dog... But talent tends to seek each other out so after these first few tourneys, we may see a little bit of shuffling... THEN we can start making some predictions...
Fun4All

by Wilson Bats » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Looks like the R & R Dimas Team will not be playing in this weekends tournament. I wonder what that means, no players or no ready yet. Word out of Sactown is two-three 12U teams have folded do to lack of players. Anyone no if this is true.
Wilson Bats

by coach12021964 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:26 am

Iluvblue wrote:Just because you are a 140 Lbs doesnt mean you will smack the ball and if you played down south in 10U then you did face pitchers that can throw 55-58. So lets not knock any of these young 12U's. You might just regret it later.

Softball mom, i am speaking from experience, you are probably speaking as the parent of a young player who just moved up from 10u.

And I dont thinking I was knocking anyone.
There was a discussion during last Summer about the "Top 14u teams, and many people were talking up this team or that team. problem was, this was PRIOR to the HS season ending. i said when the HS season ended, the entire division would change and those 2nd year 14u teams would be the top teams.

Well guess what happened, when the HS season ended, those teams people were talking up stopped winning tournaments, just like I said.

trust me, 2nd year 12u players are better as a whole than 1st year.. that is a fact, not a guess.
And I am not knocking a young player for being young. fact is as you get older, you get stronger, faster, BETTER.

And i wont regret anything.

When the HS season ended there was one team that was winning a lot of 14U tournaments, in fact undefeated, until the HS season ended. Their first tournament post HS they finished in second place to the eventual national champions. And I guess that I should add that that loss was the next game after they lost their team leader and arguably best player in northern california if not all of californina. That team after HS season only went on to win their metro and finish third in 14U nationals. Without two of their top players. You are right they didn't play in 14U tournaments once the HS was over. But I do recall them finishing undefeated in a couple of 18U tournaments and finishing in the top ten playing 16U in Colorado.
Also the question stated early about are there too many teams in NorCal? Considering that 2 of the top 3 teams at nationals were from NorCal, I guess I will let you draw your own conclusions. Individual there is no doubt that we have talent. The problem is the willingness to be on the same team, possibly take a lesser roll to be on a better team. I think that is more the problem. We have too many parents and players that want instant gratification and results they they bounce around from team to team where their DD's can be the star. That however is not a problem only facing NorCal teams. At last count immediately following nationals there was significant movement of players and coach switching from one team to another. At last count of the top 10 teams at nationals from california more than have of them either change to different organizations, changed coaches or disbanded. Go to the posts from the norcal sections.
IMO the diffence that we have is too much Daddy ball. But I'll leave that discussion to another thread.
coach12021964

by watchtonsofsoftball » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm

While the team you speak of was good in the spring, that roster wasnt the same when the high schoolers came back. Come on now, dont leave the details out :roll:
watchtonsofsoftball

by Bad dog » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:
Bad dog wrote:
Fun4All wrote:

GOOD ANSWER, Dog... But talent tends to seek each other out so after these first few tourneys, we may see a little bit of shuffling... THEN we can start making some predictions...

OK - it' been a month later and I still don't see any change. I just want to know who's the best 5 Northern Cal 12u teams out there in no particular order. Seems like most teams out there now are 1st year 12u. Comp in Nor Cal looks a little thin this year.
Bad dog

by Fun4All » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 am

I pretty much agree with Wilson Bats' most recent revised top 3 (see other NorCal thread: 12u Fall Rankings) It looks like they will be the 3 that go deepest in most brackets... I'm definitely not gonna put myself out there and say which of those 3 is better than the other... Anything can happen on any given Sunday... But I think they will be the ones that will go head-to-head, tournament after tournament. After that, I have to agree with you since it seems most other teams either have mostly young players or ones with little 12u 'A' experience, or they don't play enough tourneys to be able to compete consistently.
I think this weekends tourney will help shed some light for a couple of the other teams who deserve to be mentioned in Wilson's top 5...
(side note: I think it's just a typo, but if CC Dirt Dogs 97 is playing down in 12's... Then their trophy chasing could stand in the way of getting a good gauge of "who's who" this weekend. But it looks like the pool play schedule has CCDD-99 listed & no 97, so we'll see)
Fun4All

by Norcal Iceman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Wouldn't you know it, Wilson's top four made it to the Final Four in Grapes tourney yesterday with Grapes taking 1st. Nice!
Norcal Iceman

by Wilson Bats » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:06 pm

I had the opportunity to watch several Saturday games in Lodi and was very surprised how good the talent level was with all teams. The Grapettes & Sorcerers tied teams they should have beaten and the Breeze lost to the CA. Grapettes (K) team 2-1. But on Sunday the cream rose to the top 4 teams in my top 20 playing in the semi's. So here is my top 20 after Grapettes Tourney.

1. Grapettes-Norwood -- 1st Place Sept 11/12, 3rd Place Sept 18/19, 1st Place CG Sept 25/26
1st Place Oct. 2/3
2. Sorcerers-Rojas ------1st Place Finish Sept 18/19, Didn't Play on Sept. 25/26, 3rd Place
Oct. 2/3
3. California Breeze 98---2nd Place Finish Sept 18/19, Played friendly Sept 25/26, 3rd Place
Oct 2/3
4. Cen Cal Dirt Dogs-----2nd Place Oct 2/3
5. San Jose Lady Sharks--3rd Place Finish Sept 18/19, 5th Place Oct. 2/3
6. Valley Stompers-------3rd Place Finish Sept 18/19, Didn't play
7. Grapettes- Vasquez---2nd Place CG Sept 25/26, 5th Place Oct. 2/3
8. Grapettes 99----This teams has a very good pitcher, average defense & hitting
9. East County Vipers----3rd Place CG Sept 25/26
10. Salinas Storm
11. SJ Sting---------Played Breze Friendly, Played better in Oct.2/3
12. Rocklin Hype-----Played Breeze Friendly, Played NSA )ct.2/3
13. Roseville Heat---Played Breeze Friendly
14. Foothill Gold---Finished 3rd in NSA Tourney Oct.2/3
15. Tri County Smash--Very poor showing at their first quality tourney
16. California Breeze 99--Didn't play
17. Runnin Rebels----Average team with good coaching
18. Sun Devils-------Played Breeze Friendly
19. EC Hotshots
20. You Tell Me!!