Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

NorCal

Are there too many teams in NorCal ?

by ssarge » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:05 am

The Metro should limit the number of true "A" teams in the area, at the most 4-6. The 2 big organizations in the SJ Metro, and may 2-4 other teams. The way to gauge would be, only the teams who finish in the top 4 of the Metro will be allowed to register A the following season.

I think it is silly to use fiat to limit teams at any level anyplace, because it is self-correcting. Non-competitive teams don't last.

But if you ARE going to limit them, it would be absurd to grant the "biggest organizations" an automatic waiver. Big is often better, but not always. And NO organization should be guaranteed self-perpetuation just because they are big.

I would assume that you see that if only the top 4 teams from the "A" metro can register "A," you can never add another team to the list, since only "A" teams can enter the "A" metro. And so you'll always have the same 4 teams. Unless one folds or has other troubles, and then you'll have only 3. Bad plan.
ssarge

by happyfeet » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm just saying it would be a start, it would start to weed out the weaker teams and have them play in the "B" tournaments. I say allow the 2 biggest organizations the first year based on what they have done over the past 20 years for the sport and the players. If they don't place in the top 4 the first year then they have to earn their way back, like everyone else. I just know when our oldest daughter played in the 12U age group 12 years ago, there were not this many teams and the competition was better, we didn't mind always playing the same 4 or 5 teams between here and Sac, because we knew it was going to be good competition. Now it's a toss up you don't know if your gonna get a rec ball team that just decided to play in a tournament and picked the Grapes or RR Gold or get Sorcerer, Lady Magic, and Comets. I know we would prefer the latter whether we win or lose, we prefer to play the best.
happyfeet

by ssarge » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm still missing how you EVER get into the Metro if there are 4 teams in the next one, and you have to place in the Top 4 at Metro to be in the one the FOLLOWING year. I guess you'd better be one of the 4 teams in that first one.

Why is this an issue for you? You will NEVER limit teams in non-championship tournaments. Absolutely won't happen, that just isn't where TDs are coming from. If you don't want to play weaker teams, schedule (or participate in) Friendlies so that you can target your competition. That is what the SoCal teams do, and that is one of the reasons a lot of them are very, very strong. They don't go play Grapettes-type Tournaments every week, and their success speaks for itself.

This pretty much leaves the Metro as the only tournament where your concern is relevant. If you're playing a weaker team in the Metro, use it as an opportunity to get your bench players and #3 pitcher some time. This will please a lot of people. And if you can't beat the team that way, and feel you need to play all your starters, then that other team DOES belong in the tournament.

Scott
ssarge

Previous

Return to NorCal