Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Happy Beer Day!!!!!!!!

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by PDad » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:55 pm

jonriv wrote:
Your "amuzing" is very amusing. I've spent a lot of time back there in ME, MA and NY - I wasn't impressed by the water, bagels or pizza. CA mountain water is better than the stuff running out of your antiquated lead-leaching water system.

The water in NYC comes from the Catskill Mountains and has been rated by Consumer Reports as THE BEST water in the world. (I call BS on the CR rating) Compared to the silt filled water you guys pipe in from the Colorado river.

Wrong again - only 15% of SoCal water comes from the Colorado and that doesn't come from CA.

The Catskills aren't really mountains. They're overhyped like NY water and NE softball. :lol:
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:29 pm

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Canned food-what do you think this is the midwest???? There's no difference in this regard.

Certainly have seen (in pictures), had (where?) and made "real" burritos??? (nuking a frozen burrito in the microwave doesn't count :lol: ) but I thought "true" burritos com from Texas(not California???)

You thought wrong, again...

Before the development of the modern burrito, the Mesoamerican peoples of Mexico used tortillas to wrap foods, with fillings of chili peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, squash, and avocados.[5] The Pueblo people of the Southwestern United States also made tortillas with beans and meat sauce fillings prepared much like the modern burrito.[6]

The precise origin of the modern burrito is not specifically known. However, it is most usually acknowledged as having originated in the United States within the Mexican American community. Some have speculated that it may have originated with vaqueros in northern Mexico in the nineteenth century.[5][7] Many have traced its roots to the farmworkers of the fields in California's Central Valley, in Fresno and Stockton;.[8] Farmworkers that picked many of the Central Valley's agriculture would prepare luncheons in the fields, which consisted of homemade flour tortillas, beans and salsa picante or hot sauce.
In 1923, Alejandro Borquez opened the Sonora cafe in Los Angeles, which later changed its name to the El Cholo Spanish Cafe.[11] Burritos first appeared on American restaurant menus at the El Cholo Spanish Cafe during the 1930s.[12] Burritos were mentioned in the U.S. media for the first time in 1934,[13] appearing in the Mexican Cookbook, a collection of regional recipes from New Mexico authored by historian Erna Fergusson.

Also getting culinary abuse from those that have never had a true Bagel or Slice of pizza(due to that dreadful)liquid you call water there) I find quite amuzing :D :D :D :D

Your "amuzing" is very amusing. I've spent a lot of time back there in ME, MA and NY - I wasn't impressed by the water, bagel or pizza. CA mountain water is better than the stuff running out of your antiquated lead-leaching water system.

Well I'm from Cali and El Cholo is a terrible place to eat Mexican food... Too many other hole in the wall Mexican eateries to try.

Best pizza in LA is in South Pasadena is Nona's Pizza.
tbjd33

by PDad » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:55 am

tbjd33 wrote:
PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:... but I thought "true" burritos com from Texas (not California???)

In 1923, Alejandro Borquez opened the Sonora cafe in Los Angeles, which later changed its name to the El Cholo Spanish Cafe.[11] Burritos first appeared on American restaurant menus at the El Cholo Spanish Cafe during the 1930s.[12] Burritos were mentioned in the U.S. media for the first time in 1934,[13] appearing in the Mexican Cookbook, a collection of regional recipes from New Mexico authored by historian Erna Fergusson.

Well I'm from Cali and El Cholo is a terrible place to eat Mexican food... Too many other hole in the wall Mexican eateries to try.

There are several unrelated El Cholo places, so not sure you're referring to the same one. Regardless, I quoted Wiki because they credit them with being the first, not as a recommendation.

We do have a wide range of Mexican eateries in SoCal from authentic hole-in-the-walls serving cabeza and lengua to homogenized (e.g. chains) to unique/high-quality places. All serve a purpose and can fill the bill depending on your mood/taste.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:10 pm

PDad wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:... but I thought "true" burritos com from Texas (not California???)

There are several unrelated El Cholo places, so not sure you're referring to the same one. Regardless, I quoted Wiki because they credit them with being the first, not as a recommendation.

We do have a wide range of Mexican eateries in SoCal from authentic hole-in-the-walls serving cabeza and lengua to homogenized (e.g. chains) to unique/high-quality places. All serve a purpose and can fill the bill depending on your mood/taste.

The one in Korea Town. That's the one most consider the Original. Great chips, salsa and drinks.
tbjd33

by PDad » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:03 pm

This is what NE puts in their burritos...

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm

JonRiv LA's been flying in dough from NY for pizza for over 20 years.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 pm

exD1dad wrote:JonRiv LA's been flying in dough from NY for pizza for over 20 years.

That's my point!!!!

Now back to my beer. Long Trail from Vermont
jonriv

by PDad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Interesting segment on CBS's Sunday Morning show (video at http://www.cbsnews.com/news/samuel-adams-jim-koch-continues-to-brew-success/). I remember drinking some Sams with Boston guys 12 years ago and them thinking it was a NE treat for us - they were very surprised when I told them we had it in our supermarkets back home. Even though they've outgrown being a craft beer, the founder is involved in the craft industry.

Today, there are more than 4,000 craft brewers in the United States. When Jim Koch started his company in 1984, the American beer landscape was very different.
Altschul asked, "Is there a kind of bittersweet or ironic element to the fact that now I can't even find Sam Adams in some of these fancy beer bars, where you have all of the crazy craft beers? Is that frustrating?"

"Not really," he replied. "When I think about the success that Sam Adams helped create with the craft beer revolution, you know, it's been good for me."
In fact, Jim Koch has actively fostered that revolution by helping aspiring craft brewers. Jeremy Lees started his Flounder Brewing Company, in Hillsborough, N.J., with a low-interest loan from Sam Adams.

"What was fantastic about it at the time was, we just had a dream," said Lees.

This year, Flounder Brewing Company is expanding, and as the winner of the Sam Adams Brewing and Business Experienceship Award, it will be helped by Koch's company.

"Sam Adams is literally opening the door of their company to us," said Lees. "We get to go up there and meet with any departments we want to meet with. We're gonna be starting payroll, so I want to meet with human resources people. We're gonna be working in much, much larger scale of ingredients, so I'm gonna get to meet with supply chain management and learn what they've done, and so hugely successful. So it's an incredible opportunity!"

For Koch, it's all part of the ride: "You know, beer is literally in my blood. About a 0.05, 0.06 -- legal, but it's in my blood!" he laughed.

And when it comes to craft beer, he says there's plenty of room for everyone.

"All 4,000 craft brewers have now gotten to 10% or 12% of the market. We can double [it]," he said. "That's pretty cool!"
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:40 pm

exD1dad wrote:JonRiv LA's been flying in dough from NY for pizza for over 20 years.

Further proving there's a sucker born every minute...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 am

jonriv wrote:
Your "amuzing" is very amusing. I've spent a lot of time back there in ME, MA and NY - I wasn't impressed by the water, bagel or pizza. CA mountain water is better than the stuff running out of your antiquated lead-leaching water system.

The water in NYC comes from the Catskill Mountains and has been rated by Consumer Reports as THE BEST water in the world. Compared to the silt filled water you guys pipe in from the Colorado river. BTW-- ME"lobsta" MA "Chowda" the lead-leaching pipes are in Michigan

The only TRUE bagels are made in New York- since they are boiled before baking the water is important. There is a place in Florida that imports NYC water to make their bagels http://brooklynwaterbagels.com/

This place in San Diego likes the water http://www.pmq.com/August-2014/Village- ... est-coast/

or this place in LA http://www.lamonicasnypizza.com/Home.html

Just silly, don't you think? Next, you are going to tell me that the NE schools import CA softball players because the locals aren't very good......... :o :shock:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

Previous

Return to The Pub