Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Adam Laroche-helicopter parent?

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by jonriv » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:41 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14989 ... -clubhouse

I am sure we are all familiar with this story. I am also sure that everyone on this site understands the value of spending time with our kids, but where is the limit? Would you have your kids at work every day even if you could? Was Adam Laroche being selfish by forcing his kid on the rest of the team??? IMO he was being not only ridiculous and selfish, but extremely narcissistic. Perhaps its time for him to live in the real world? Does it make sense to have a 14 year old in a major league locker room for spring training and 140 games? Should the kid not be with his peers?? Love to hear what people think.
jonriv

by jtat32 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't know if I would characterize it that way. Definitely seems entitled, but It's a job so he can retire for whatever reason he wants, and I'm sure they can replace his .207 for a lot cheaper. I guess that it is selfish in the sense that he assumes everyone else on the team wants his kid around all the time. I'm sure that there are some players on the team who would like to have some times when they don't have to watch their language, etc, because there's a kid around. That said, maybe people are making assumptions about his motivation - maybe he understands the team's position and just made a decision that he wants to spend more time with his family.

Definitely not narcissistic by definition. My DDs had to deal with a true narcissist for a high school coach. It's a legit personality disorder that manifests in behavior that is much more similar to sociopathy or psychopathy than simply selfish entitlement. It absolutely sucked, but it was also really interesting to see how clusters of seemingly unrelated bizarre behaviors fit a stereotypical pattern once we were informed what was going on with him and learned what that meant.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:11 pm

As luck would have it, I stumbled on a link to another article about this that has some information I didn't pick up from the first one including this gem:

He and Drake play baseball in the morning. If he's not playing in the game, they either go fishing or play golf. At night, they play Ping-Pong at their rental home.

“And, if we got time,” LaRoche said, “do some homework.”

And then ...

“We're not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He's going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.' ”

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... roche-saga

I guess you can raise your kids the way you want within the boundaries of the law, but that sure as hell not how I would raise mine.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Helicopter parent, maybe a future D3 parent? No?? :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by exD1dad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:59 pm

I've seen this before, the question is where on the road to earning 78 million did he become the man he is?
10MM in the bank or 25? 30?
Raising his child to be an entitled idiot, a perfect example of why "old money" always sneers at "nouveau riche"
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:13 pm

exD1dad wrote:Raising his child to be an entitled idiot, a perfect example of why "old money" always sneers at "nouveau riche"

Yeah, but old money isn't very good at sports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqObJtGrKaA
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:28 am

jtat32 wrote:
exD1dad wrote:Raising his child to be an entitled idiot, a perfect example of why "old money" always sneers at "nouveau riche"

Yeah, but old money isn't very good at sports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqObJtGrKaA

Just at owning teams
jonriv

by PDad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Pub