Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

So, how many of you out there are Bernie supporters?

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by exD1dad » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:56 pm

I like to ask my "hollywood" liberal friends when the last time they heard anyone refer to an illegal immigrant as "wetbacks" to really get a rise outta them. After they correct me by labeling these felonious criminals by the term "undocumented worker" or some other sort of nonsense I quickly tell them how both sides of my wife's family has been calling them mojados for 20+ years. My wife is a 1st generation born Hispanic American who like possibly 1,000,000+ other Latinos will vote for Trump & just keep their opinions to themselves. Her Father was from Laredo Mexico & he served our Country with distinction in the Korean War to get his citizenship as did 6 of his brothers from WWII to Vietnam.

Kinda like African Americans being allowed to use the "N" word I guess.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:56 pm

PDad wrote:Trump should have focused on the judge's membership in a organization whose stated purpose is "to advance the cause of equality, empowerment and justice for Latino attorneys and the Latino community in San Diego County through service and advocacy" rather than his Mexican heritage.

"Trump should/shouldn't have..." How many times has that been said over the past year? How many times has it actually been right? The re-tweet regarding Heidi Cruz, and...crickets.

What Trump did, as he often does, is employ the most inflammatory/hyperbolic method of raising an entirely valid issue. The press then dutifully pounce all over it, allowing Trump to dominate coverage for a week. In the process, he is proven correct (in this instance, the judge's race is entirely relevant due to his membership in the group). So he comes out relatively unscathed, he enjoys yet another opportunity to expose the shameless bias of the press (and curb-stomp them for it), and, again, his meta-narrative is firmly established. Any negative news about the Trump U. case will be viewed with far more skepticism than it otherwise would have been, and Trump will be able to immediately pivot to offense.

It is truly a thing of beauty to behold.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:46 pm

Skarp wrote:
kevin wrote:So its the term La Raza that you have a problem with. However, there is no evidence that this judge is affiliated with the National Council of La Raza (which if he was I would have a problem with him being a judge also), unless you consider the assertions of Trumps aides as gospel. It's funny that you quote Cesar Chavez, because I'm sure you would also support his ideas on Unions and his life work for the rights of illegal immigrant workers in the fields, as they endured acts of harassment, discrimination, and violence. Or is it just the La Raza part your interested in? I could see how that term could be seen as dangerous or offensive, especially since more radical groups have adopted that term as their own. But I thought that before you would be part of lib-prog speech police, you would quote, unquote,"off yourself"?

I don't have a problem with the term "la raza" any more than I have a problem with the term "white race." Like Chavez, I've got a justifiable problem with either term as an organizing concept--particularly as it relates to our justice system, which is supposed to be color blind. I would have a problem with a San Diego White Race Lawyer's Association, so therefore I've got a problem with San Diego La Raza Lawyer's Association. As anyone who isn't racist should.

Evidence of affiliation? You're joking, right?

"The concept of La Raza can be traced to the ideas and writings of Jose Vasconcelos, the Mexican theorist who developed the theory of la raza cosmica (the cosmic or super race) at least partially as a minority reaction to the Nordic notions of racial superiority. Vasconelos developed a systematic theory which argued that climatic and geographic conditions and mixture of Spanish and Indian races created a superior race. The concept of La Raza connotes that the mestizo is a distinct race and not Caucasian, as is technically the case."

--Guillermo Lux and Maurilio Vigil, Aztlan: Essays on the Chicano Homeland

What's your theory? These lawyers and other groups are ignorant, and just call themselves "La Raza" because they think it sounds cool?

Your joking right? Your funny. My theory is the term La Raza has been interpreted, reinterpreted, misinterpreted, and interpreted again and again to fit the needs of whomever is using it. Take the word colored. Now for me I think NAACP and how the word "colored" was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might look at the word colored and think of the Jim Crow south and how it was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might see the word "colored" and think nothing as I've tried to "judge" (no pun intended) each person "color blind". So unless Jose Vasconcelos has been in the barrio anytime recently to get a picture of todays "whole enchilada", I'm gonna guess he knows as much about what La Raza means in the the Hispanic community as you do.
kevin

by kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:54 pm

exD1dad wrote:I like to ask my "hollywood" liberal friends when the last time they heard anyone refer to an illegal immigrant as "wetbacks" to really get a rise outta them. After they correct me by labeling these felonious criminals by the term "undocumented worker" or some other sort of nonsense I quickly tell them how both sides of my wife's family has been calling them mojados for 20+ years. My wife is a 1st generation born Hispanic American who like possibly 1,000,000+ other Latinos will vote for Trump & just keep their opinions to themselves. Her Father was from Laredo Mexico & he served our Country with distinction in the Korean War to get his citizenship as did 6 of his brothers from WWII to Vietnam.

When you reference your father in law or his brothers, do you preference it with former wetback, undocumented worker, mojado, or felonious criminal? Probably the most pathetic post I've ever read. Then as if your first post wasn't pathetic enough you sign off by questioning why African Americans use the "N" but what, you cant? Wow.
kevin

by Skarp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:30 pm

kevin wrote:Your joking right? Your funny. My theory is the term La Raza has been interpreted, reinterpreted, misinterpreted, and interpreted again and again to fit the needs of whomever is using it. Take the word colored. Now for me I think NAACP and how the word "colored" was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might look at the word colored and think of the Jim Crow south and how it was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might see the word "colored" and think nothing as I've tried to "judge" (no pun intended) each person "color blind". So unless Jose Vasconcelos has been in the barrio anytime recently to get a picture of todays "whole enchilada", I'm gonna guess he knows as much about what La Raza means in the the Hispanic community as you do.

Hundreds of derivative groups have spun off from the KKK over the past 140 years. Presumably you're just as charitable with your assessment of their interpretations, reinterpretations, and/or misinterpretations of their namesake organization and its mission.

So tell me: would a black or Hispanic defendant be justified in questioning the impartiality of a white judge who was a member of an organization named, say, the California Aryan Judge's Association, or San Diego White Knight Lawyers? Take your time.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Skarp wrote:
kevin wrote:Your joking right? Your funny. My theory is the term La Raza has been interpreted, reinterpreted, misinterpreted, and interpreted again and again to fit the needs of whomever is using it. Take the word colored. Now for me I think NAACP and how the word "colored" was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might look at the word colored and think of the Jim Crow south and how it was used as an "organizing concept". Or I might see the word "colored" and think nothing as I've tried to "judge" (no pun intended) each person "color blind". So unless Jose Vasconcelos has been in the barrio anytime recently to get a picture of todays "whole enchilada", I'm gonna guess he knows as much about what La Raza means in the the Hispanic community as you do.

Hundreds of derivative groups have spun off from the KKK over the past 140 years. Presumably you're just as charitable with your assessment of their interpretations, reinterpretations, and/or misinterpretations of their namesake organization and its mission.

So tell me: would a black or Hispanic defendant be justified in questioning the impartiality of a white judge who was a member of an organization named, say, the California Aryan Judge's Association, or San Diego White Knight Lawyers? Take your time.

Is that black or Hispanic defendant the GOP nominee for POTUS? Is that Aryan group working in the underrepresented white community who lacks representation in our current judicial system? Are the White Knights establishing programs for white kids in lower socio economic neighborhoods who lack access to careers in law? If so, no I would not. I would need context. If that is the narrative, then the answer is NO I would not have a problem. Was that fast enough for you?
kevin

by Skarp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:56 pm

kevin wrote:
Skarp wrote:

Is that black or Hispanic defendant the GOP nominee for POTUS? I need context.

Context? Lulz. You should have taken more time.

Let me make it easier for you. Give me any context in which such a defendant would not be justified in questioning the judge's impartiality.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by kevin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:00 pm

Skarp wrote:
kevin wrote:
Skarp wrote:

Is that black or Hispanic defendant the GOP nominee for POTUS? I need context.

Context? Lulz. You should have taken more time.

Let me make it easier for you. Give me any context in which such a defendant would not be justified in questioning the judge's impartiality.

Good one I had to look that one up. Might want to refresh your screen.
kevin

by Skarp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:04 pm

kevin wrote:
Skarp wrote:

Is that black or Hispanic defendant the GOP nominee for POTUS? Is that Aryan group working in the underrepresented white community who lacks representation in our current judicial system? Are the White Knights establishing programs for white kids in lower socio economic neighborhoods who lack access to careers in law? If so, no I would not. I would need context. If that is the narrative, then the answer is NO I would not have a problem. Was that fast enough for you?

Actually it wasn't fast enough, since I responded before your edit.

Okay. If the "Klan Attorneys for the Advancement of White People" identifies itself as a benevolent poor-kid mentoring and scholarship organization, who are we to judge their name? Got it.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:31 pm

kevin wrote:
exD1dad wrote:I like to ask my "hollywood" liberal friends when the last time they heard anyone refer to an illegal immigrant as "wetbacks" to really get a rise outta them. After they correct me by labeling these felonious criminals by the term "undocumented worker" or some other sort of nonsense I quickly tell them how both sides of my wife's family has been calling them mojados for 20+ years. My wife is a 1st generation born Hispanic American who like possibly 1,000,000+ other Latinos will vote for Trump & just keep their opinions to themselves. Her Father was from Laredo Mexico & he served our Country with distinction in the Korean War to get his citizenship as did 6 of his brothers from WWII to Vietnam.

When you reference your father in law or his brothers, do you preference it with former wetback, undocumented worker, mojado, or felonious criminal? Probably the most pathetic post I've ever read. Then as if your first post wasn't pathetic enough you sign off by questioning why African Americans use the "N" but what, you cant? Wow.

I was at least going to give you points for consistency on the KKK Lawyers Association question, but then I noticed this. What happened to good for the goose, good for the gander?

Absent evidence to the contrary, shouldn't you assume that any desire on his part to use the N-word is entirely beneficent? I mean, MLK hasn't spent much time in a modern white suburb. Perhaps the term has been reinterpreted where D1dad's from.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub