Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

NY Inmates - 1 Harvard Debate team - 0

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by as the world turns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:30 am

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 am

Pale Rider wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
jonriv wrote: The students that were in my daughter's HS that went "Ivy" were all brilliant.

Always fun to watch JR go proprietarily apeshit on this type of thread. Thanks buddy. :)

*Voted* Post of the month... ;)

Thanks. I had given up hope that anyone would validate my phrase 'proprietarily apeshit'.

Hell, Im from MS...and I get it :o :D
LOL...

But the Northeast has the best softball, you know. LOL
as the world turns

by PDad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm

The faculty should be glad Yale doesn't have a football team with as much pull as Mizzou's...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 pm

PDad wrote:

The faculty should be glad Yale doesn't have a football team with as much pull as Mizzou's...

Are you referring to the original Administrator with the heavy "suggestion" of "non-offensive" costume or the Husband and Wife that seem to arguing for free speech and expression- which is usually considered the cornerstone of a liberal arts education? BTW- do you think the football team was right at Mizzou? Should the president been forced to resign? Did he handle the whole situation well?

I always find it odd that evryone thinks they can voice their opinion, but hate it when others do the same? As John Cleese from Monty Python said, "No one has the right not to be offended"
jonriv

by PDad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:07 pm

jonriv wrote:
PDad wrote:

Are you referring to the original Administrator with the heavy "suggestion" of "non-offensive" costume or the Husband and Wife that seem to arguing for free speech and expression- which is usually considered the cornerstone of a liberal arts education? BTW- do you think the football team was right at Mizzou? Should the president been forced to resign? Did he handle the whole situation well?

I always find it odd that evryone thinks they can voice their opinion, but hate it when others do the same? As John Cleese from Monty Python said, "No one has the right not to be offended"

I said "faculty" in keeping with the article's title, however the admin's should also be glad.

Regarding your statement of free speech and expression being the "cornerstone of a liberal arts education," I disagree with them being the cornerstone and/or your usage of the term liberal arts.

I don't know enough about what occurred at Mizzou to make an informed decision about the football team or the 2 that resigned. I am concerned about the precedent it set.

Did you major in Monty Python?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Regarding your statement of free speech and expression being the "cornerstone of a liberal arts education," I disagree with them being the cornerstone and/or your usage of the term liberal arts.

The liberal arts (Latin: artes liberales) are those subjects or skills that in classical antiquity were considered essential for a free person (Latin: liberal, "worthy of a free person")[1] to know in order to take an active part in civic life, something that (for Ancient Greece) included participating in public debate, defending oneself in court, serving on juries, and most importantly, military service. Grammar, logic, and rhetoric were the core liberal arts, while arithmetic, geometry, the theory of music, and astronomy also played a (somewhat lesser) part in education.[2]

In modern times, liberal arts education is a term that can be interpreted in different ways. It can refer to certain areas of literature, languages, art history, music history, philosophy, history, mathematics, psychology, and science.[3] It can also refer to studies on a liberal arts degree program. For example, Harvard University offers a Master of Liberal Arts degree, which covers biological and social sciences as well as the humanities.[4] For both interpretations, the term generally refers to matters not relating to the professional, vocational, or technical curriculum.

I deplore the tendency, in some institutions, to go directly toward training for a trade or profession or something and ignoring the liberal arts. It is the foundation of education.
Ronald Reagan

Read more at: http://www.azquotes.com/quote/1043812

remember liberal arts is with a small "l" A true liberal arts program emphasizes a free exchange of ideas and opinions. Too many "Liberals" seem to forget this
jonriv

by as the world turns » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 am

jonriv wrote:
PDad wrote:

Some Northeast schools are joining in, LOL:
http://news.yahoo.com/race-protests-scattered-around-u-campuses-missouri-resignations-195918598--nfl.html
as the world turns

by PDad » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:11 pm

jonriv wrote:

remember liberal arts is with a small "l" A true liberal arts program emphasizes a free exchange of ideas and opinions. Too many "Liberals" seem to forget this

The cornerstone of a liberal arts education is a broad curriculum with the intent of learning how to think critically and communicate your position with supporting rationale clearly. Free speech and expression should play an important role in the process, however they are not the cornerstone and tolerance for other's rights isn't necessarily taught.

I also questioned ascribing liberal arts to the Yale students and now found that Yale considers itself to provide a liberal arts education regardless of major. I expect that varies somewhat by major.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:30 pm

From the Yale website:

The Undergraduate Curriculum

Yale College, founded in 1701, is a coeducational undergraduate institution offering instruction in the liberal arts and sciences to about 5,200 students. The College is the oldest and the largest school of the University, which also comprises the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and ten professional schools.

Yale College offers a liberal arts education, one that aims to cultivate a broadly informed, highly disciplined intellect without specifying in advance how that intellect will be used. Such an approach to learning regards college as a phase of exploration, a place for the exercise of curiosity and an opportunity for the discovery of new interests and abilities. The College does not seek primarily to train students in the particulars of a given career, although some students may elect to receive more of that preparation than others. Instead, its main goal is to instill knowledge and skills that students can bring to bear in whatever work they eventually choose. This philosophy of education corresponds with that expressed in the Yale Report of 1828, which draws a distinction between “expanding [the mind’s] powers, and storing it with knowledge.” Acquiring facts is important, but learning how to think critically and creatively in a variety of ways takes precedence.

jonriv

by PDad » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:36 pm

jonriv wrote:From the Yale website:...

Do you have a point or are you just posting an excerpt in lieu of one?

I got my info regarding Yale from another page on their website - http://admissions.yale.edu/liberal-arts-education.

Yale is committed to the idea of a liberal arts education through which students think and learn across disciplines, literally liberating or freeing the mind to its fullest potential. The essence of such an education is not what you study but the result – gaining the ability to think critically and independently and to write, reason, and communicate clearly – the foundation for all professions.

There is no specific class you have to take at Yale, but you are required to learn broadly and deeply. Depth is covered in your major. Breadth is covered in three study areas (the humanities and arts, the sciences, and the social sciences) and three skill areas (writing, quantitative reasoning, and foreign language). A Yale education instills in students the values, goals, skills, and knowledge they need to pursue inspiring work, to take joy in lifetime learning, and to lead successful and meaningful lives.

There's more on that page about majors.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub