Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

12 Balls Puzzle

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by PDad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 pm

I was reminded of a good puzzle I solved a long, long time ago in HS. Let's see whom here can solve it.

You have 12 balls numbered 1-12 that otherwise appear and feel identical, except one is either slightly heavier or lighter than the other 11 (you can't feel it). Using only a balance scale w/o weights, how do you identify the odd ball and whether it is heavier or lighter than the others with only 3 weighings on the scale?

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:01 pm

PDad wrote:I was reminded of a good puzzle I solved a long, long time ago in HS. Let's see whom here can solve it.

You have 12 balls numbered 1-12 that otherwise appear and feel identical, except one is either slightly heavier or lighter than the other 11 (you can't feel it). Using only a balance scale w/o weights, how do you identify the odd ball and whether it is heavier or lighter than the others with only 3 weighings on the scale?

I would be honored to take the 1st stab....

Half and weigh 6 on each side. Which ever side is lighter, you half and weight 3 on each side. Whichever one is lighter, you weigh one on each side. If they weigh the same then the one left over is the light ball :?:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Battle's method would work if the odd ball was only lighter. However, the odd one is either heavier or lighter and you need to determine which it is.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

PDad wrote:Battle's method would work if the odd ball was only lighter. However, the odd one is either heavier or lighter and you need to determine which it is.

LOL...Oh yeah...I was rushing to solve and missed the 'heavier'..Dang it!
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:38 pm

If you weigh 8 balls and remove 2, would that constitute a 2nd weighing?
Battle

by aparent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Weigh 6 on each side, then swap three balls from one to the other. Depending on how the scale responds you will have narrowed it down to three balls and you will know if it is lighter or heavier that you are looking for. Then weigh two of balls. Either the scale will tell you which one is the right one or it will be in your hand.

What's my prize?
aparent

by PDad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Battle wrote:If you weigh 8 balls and remove 2, would that constitute a 2nd weighing?

Yes
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aparent » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Never mind...I'm an idiot my solution is flawed...the shame
aparent

by PDad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:54 pm

aparent wrote:Never mind...I'm an idiot my solution is flawed...the shame

No shame - it's a tough problem.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:35 pm

PDad wrote:I was reminded of a good puzzle I solved a long, long time ago in HS. Let's see whom here can solve it.

Place the one ball on the scale. Place the three ball on the other side.
The one ball is either slightly heavier or slightly lighter, and three is only weighing on scale.
Drink. :geek:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Pub