Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

South Carolina to Lower Confederate Flag

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Pale Rider » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:49 am

Dugout Dad wrote:This is getting out of hand. People are using ISIS tactics by destroying or removing historical monuments they don't like. History is history, let's look forward. Let's use history as reminders of never again.

We now have protestors wanting to dig up graves themselves. Insanity.
http://www.theamericanmirror.com/impatient-protesters-begin-digging-up-confederate-generals-grave-themselves/

Its all being politically driven...by a few 'community organizers'
Saw an article last night with the 'dear leader' wanting to ban the Gadsden Flag...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:12 am

Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:This is getting out of hand. People are using ISIS tactics by destroying or removing historical monuments they don't like. History is history, let's look forward. Let's use history as reminders of never again.

We now have protestors wanting to dig up graves themselves. Insanity.
http://www.theamericanmirror.com/impatient-protesters-begin-digging-up-confederate-generals-grave-themselves/

Its all being politically driven...by a few 'community organizers'
Saw an article last night with the 'dear leader' wanting to ban the Gadsden Flag...

Before you get your panties in a wad you should read the history of Forest(slave trader who ran a slave auction). I can't condone what the protestors propose, but I can understand the anger. Memphis is a predominately black city and I can understand its citizens being pissed at honoring a slave trader.
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:11 am

Memphis...is terrible...You couldn't give me a house ...a mansion...in that town...
Forbes rated it as the 4th most dangerous city in the US...
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/4-memphis/

I promise something that happened in the 1800's is not why that place sucks...
And moving a grave isn't gonna fix it...

And its FORREST...MOF, its Forrest on my car tags, as in Forrest County...
Despite what you think, I have read a history book or a 1000...MOF, New movie Matthew McConaughy is making, ...'The Free State of Jones'...is based on something that happened 15 miles from my house...about Newt Knight...I went to HS with his descendants

OK, if he was a slave trader...(which was bad) but not in that era...Lets go dig up the people in Africa, which were other African tribes, who were capturing slaves, and selling them to the primarily Dutch ships...
Better yet, just to wipe the slate clean, lets dig up Christopher Columbus who 'found' the whole continent...hmmmm

Dig up Hitlers Mom, Stalin...Mao...Genghis Khan...
None of that fixes what is wrong with the 'offended'...

All of it is stupid....'Shot out!...Shot over'...cant put it back in the tube...

Panties in a wad?
I assure you my briefs (I don't wear panties) are in no way binding...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:47 am

And jon wonders why no one likes him :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:15 am

Pale Rider wrote:Memphis...is terrible...You couldn't give me a house ...a mansion...in that town...
Forbes rated it as the 4th most dangerous city in the US...
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/4-memphis/

I promise something that happened in the 1800's is not why that place sucks...
And moving a grave isn't gonna fix it...

And its FORREST...MOF, its Forrest on my car tags, as in Forrest County...
Despite what you think, I have read a history book or a 1000...MOF, New movie Matthew McConaughy is making, ...'The Free State of Jones'...is based on something that happened 15 miles from my house...about Newt Knight...I went to HS with his descendants

OK, if he was a slave trader...(which was bad) but not in that era...Lets go dig up the people in Africa, which were other African tribes, who were capturing slaves, and selling them to the primarily Dutch ships...
Better yet, just to wipe the slate clean, lets dig up Christopher Columbus who 'found' the whole continent...hmmmm

Dig up Hitlers Mom, Stalin...Mao...Genghis Khan...
None of that fixes what is wrong with the 'offended'...

All of it is stupid....'Shot out!...Shot over'...cant put it back in the tube...

Panties in a wad?
I assure you my briefs (I don't wear panties) are in no way binding...

Ok. Don't get ur righty whiteys in a bunch!

I never said dig them up or condone those who do, but I can understand their anger

It's a bit of hypocrisy on your part since you seem to adopt the " lost cause" view of the civil war and the confederacy. Their overly romantic view of the confederacy is the example of rewriting history. They were also the ones who placed all these memorials at the turn of the century to show " who was in charge"

Read your own definition- all republics are representative. The fact we elect ours makes us a democratic republic(as opposed to a straight or true democracy)
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:14 pm

)(*&^%$#@...
LMAO...A true 'Democratic' Republic would mean we would vote on everything...We elect Representatives who vote on our behalf...
Lost cause...overly romantic...rewrite history?
You act like 1st Bull Run was yesterday...
I LOVE History...why would I rewrite anything?...Its ALL IN THE PAST...

Forrest was a very intelligent, uneducated hayseed from TN, who, legally and morally IN THOSE days became a millionaire, selling slaves and land...He PAID FOR HIS OWN 'ARMY"....He was a military master, called 'The Devil in the saddle...Tecumseh Sherman ( who I also admire...and was just as ruthless and mean) is quoted if he lost 10,000 men and bankrupted the US treasury to kill Forrest, it would be worth it...Despite your odd hatred of the man...He had a set of titanium nuts...
It was a war, whether you agree or not...it happened...

BTW...You weren't in it...and I admire many of the great Generals of the past, regardless of which side they were on...Napoleon, Patton, Grant (when he wasn't drunk), Bradley, Rommel, Guderian...even Ole Georgy Zuckof...I NEVER said any were saints...Most were ruthless warrior bastards...I don't judge their penmanship or manners...

As far Bedford...Yes he was a controversial character to say the least...Massacre at Ft Pillow...he was tried and acquitted by the Union Army...He had black soldiers in his command...He was Grand Wizard of the KKK, he didn't start it...and left when he saw what it was and was uncontrollable...Was he a racist?...Sure was...Is Al Sharpton a racist?...Calypso Louie?...yes and hell yes...but...this a speech that Forrest gave in 1875 to a black audience in Memphis...

"Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.1

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

1. J.H. Sears, Charles Kelly Barrow "Black Southerners In Confederate Armies" (Pelican, 2007) "

And I agree with As the World turns...Im done...we agree to disagree...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fontana10! » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Jonriv loves to pay for others to have food, shelter, phones (google Obama phone) and medical. I work with suckerfish on a daily basis. They can work, but obama and Jonriv told them they don't need to. The problem is Jonriv is probably receiving these democratic subsidies so it's a personal attack. Republicans want you to work for what you get, not sit and wait for what you believe the man owes you.....
fontana10!

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:33 pm

as the world turns wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
BTW....As The World Turns....???? no pickles and lightly toasted bun???
I don't get it. Is there an inside joke I'm missing?

FP05 has been make my sandwiches for years........ :lol:

Still mired in delusions of grandeur and adequacy after all these years I see... :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:49 am

Pale Rider wrote:)(*&^%$#@...
LMAO...A true 'Democratic' Republic would mean we would vote on everything...We elect Representatives who vote on our behalf...
Lost cause...overly romantic...rewrite history?
You act like 1st Bull Run was yesterday...
I LOVE History...why would I rewrite anything?...Its ALL IN THE PAST...

Forrest was a very intelligent, uneducated hayseed from TN, who, legally and morally IN THOSE days became a millionaire, selling slaves and land...He PAID FOR HIS OWN 'ARMY"....He was a military master, called 'The Devil in the saddle...Tecumseh Sherman ( who I also admire...and was just as ruthless and mean) is quoted if he lost 10,000 men and bankrupted the US treasury to kill Forrest, it would be worth it...Despite your odd hatred of the man...He had a set of titanium nuts...
It was a war, whether you agree or not...it happened...

BTW...You weren't in it...and I admire many of the great Generals of the past, regardless of which side they were on...Napoleon, Patton, Grant (when he wasn't drunk), Bradley, Rommel, Guderian...even Ole Georgy Zuckof...I NEVER said any were saints...Most were ruthless warrior bastards...I don't judge their penmanship or manners...

As far Bedford...Yes he was a controversial character to say the least...Massacre at Ft Pillow...he was tried and acquitted by the Union Army...He had black soldiers in his command...He was Grand Wizard of the KKK, he didn't start it...and left when he saw what it was and was uncontrollable...Was he a racist?...Sure was...Is Al Sharpton a racist?...Calypso Louie?...yes and hell yes...but...this a speech that Forrest gave in 1875 to a black audience in Memphis...

"Forrest's speech during a meeting of the "Jubilee of Pole Bearers" is a story that needs to be told. Gen. Forrest was the first white man to be invited by this group which was a forerunner of today's Civil Right's group. A reporter of the Memphis Avalanche newspaper was sent to cover the event that included a Southern barbeque supper.

Miss Lou Lewis, daughter of a Pole Bearer member, was introduced to Forrest and she presented the former general a bouquet of flowers as a token of reconciliation, peace and good will. On July 5, 1875, Nathan Bedford Forrest delivered this speech:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the Southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man, to depress none.

(Applause.)

I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

End of speech.1

Nathan Bedford Forrest again thanked Miss Lewis for the bouquet and then gave her a kiss on the cheek. Such a kiss was unheard of in the society of those days, in 1875, but it showed a token of respect and friendship between the general and the black community and did much to promote harmony among the citizens of Memphis.

1. J.H. Sears, Charles Kelly Barrow "Black Southerners In Confederate Armies" (Pelican, 2007) "

And I agree with As the World turns...Im done...we agree to disagree...

Lets clear this up- I will type slowly so you can understand:

ALL Repuplics are a representative government-saying a representative Republic is redundant. We live in a republic that is a representative democracy- therefore we are a Democratic republic since we vote for our representatives.

I think Pale you make a great case why these memorials etc should be kept.. Imagine if everyone looked up the backgrounds and history of these Confederate figures- they might actually learn something. As we all kno, all historical figures are "flawed" in someway, we can learn as much from their flaws as we can their attributes. Perhaps more people should take a step back before rushing to "dig up" our history and perhaps learn from it. Forrest may actually be a story of redemption??

As I have mentioned- I agree with taking the Battle Flag down from Capitals etc, but I think they play a role in History and need to remain in historical settings. I also believe that people that fly inin their yards, cars etc- should know what the flag represents and that it has deep and different meanings to many people and that they should not be surprised by reactions
jonriv

by as the world turns » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 am

Check out what flag replaced the American Flag at Reno City Hall, a government building. The Confederate flag never did that.

http://www.youngcons.com/lgbt-rainbow-flag-replaced-american-flag-over-reno-city-hall/
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub