Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

DD's 1st International track cycling results

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by exD1dad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:20 pm

For those who don't know my 17 yr old '15 DD hung up her cleats to go 40MPH with no brakes on a velodrome after PGF last year.

Today at the OTC Velodrome in Colorado Springs in the Independance Day Gran Prix (a UCI race where points count towards RIO16 qualification) she made it to the semi's in the Keirin where 2 Dutch & a Kiwi were much too strong(1 won Bronze in speed skating in '10). She ended up 11th out of 16 in a field with USA Nat record holders & 5 different National teams, which is very respectable in only her 2nd season of racing

Match sprint tomorrow, then 2 more races(4 race days for the Sprinter) in the next 10 days she's staying at the Olympic Training Center & loving the experience. Yesterday she was talking to a male racer from the Mexican National Team during training& the guy says to her," wait, are you the softball player? I've heard of you" :lol:
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Congratulations to her! I am figuring track cycling is a bit more expensive than softball. A $300 bat is all but a memory. How much are track bikes?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by exD1dad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Frame $4500 she's the only one who rides an Anchor(from Japan) as they're sold as Bridgestone in USA & most pro's ride Felt's which are $4000 We got a new 2012 Womens Keirin for $2000 new for an old rider, an ex Japanese Keirin (huge betting on this sport in the East)
Mavic race wheels $4000 for front 5 spoke & $3500 for rear disc, then you have to pay $500 for ceramic bearings & special lube
handlebars $350
tires $60 to $125 apiece
coaching 7 track fees $200 a month
gym for weight training
pedals
helmet is $350 as are shoes
road bike for "recovery rides $3000 & shoes, pedals, kits, tires, helmet
gears, cogs etc $25 to $75 plus $50 per piece for the High performance coating(same on a $150 chain)
racing skinsuits $150 apiece need 2
travel bike box $1500 to $3500 it's $300 each way for bike box airline baggage fees
she also needs travel rollers to warm up on $1500 & up, she's borrowing some

I need a sponsor

since she's a Junior who trains with National team members USA, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago & Mexico so we've gotten deals on 1/2 of it, at half price & she's gotten free gently used items from her mentor the current fastest woman sprinter

regional races are $20, UCI $50 for the first then $10 for other races
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:38 am

Where are the races held, is this the indoor cycling or the all over type tracks? One of mine - finished her softball career a year ago, and now I have heard she is getting into adult - slow pitch. I thought she might lazy out - but her boyfriend and her seem to be getting pretty excited about the slow pitch. Good thing about cycling, its a forever sport and it requires training, so she will stay in shape no doubt. Plus, looks like lol, she will also required a high paying job. Great job xD1, you got more stuff to watch !
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Donnie there are only 28 velodromes in the USA & only 1 is indoor & that's at the Stubb Hub center 30 miles south of us where she has been training weekly (her school let her off early all year at noon on thurs to train) there's also an outdoor velodrome 7 miles away from our place so she trains 4 days a week on the Track & 2 days on road "recovery" rides while hitting the weights 2 to 3 times a week.. Interesting thing is every 5 to 7 weeks she takes a whole week off, nothing, no weights, no bike at all. Coach says it makes her faster & admitting I don't know diddly squat (which is extremely difficult) there's no way I can argue with his resume. Check out Keirin crashes on youtube that's her favorite race, it's a dangerous sport so we lie to my DW all the time :lol:

Having played 3000 slow pitch games some fast pitch ladies get frustrated until they play coed where the women win it & the men lose the game :D Actually I got $30 to $60 a game & all the beer I could drink back in the early '80's playing outside of Houston. All I remember is I always passed Kenny Stablers bar Snakebite on my way there :lol:

Hard to believe just 1 year ago DD had dismissed over a doz great academic DIII's (after her performance at Pennsbury) & was back & forth with what I believed was a great fit in the Patriot League while trying to decide who to play for at PGF. I knew when she told the coach as she was vying for a spot to play SS @ Premier goodbye (with 1 game left) her reason was "it's not fun" despite him saying she was the front runner (he didn't let her or the other girl hit) that she'd had a fundamental change. I didn't care we had a team from New Jersey in Platinum & she had a respected (well for academics NOT softball) D1 locked down

Now at fresh out of HS @ 17 1/2 (12/30 Bday) & she's competing against Rio Olympians after less than 2 years n the sport. The top riders are kicking her butt big time as that 3/4 of a second is an eternity when medals are decided by hundredths of a second but the experience for her development is priceless. Plus she's beaten an Argentinian & Guatemalan National Team members as well as knocked off a several Elite Americans. She's living a dream she created for herself.

Track Sprinters peak in their mid to late 20's. The New Zealand & Dutch riders are all 26, 27 & beasts 8-)
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:53 am

rack Sprinters peak in their mid to late 20's. The New Zealand & Dutch riders are all 26, 27 & beasts 8-)

If you have ever been to the netherlands and see the proliferation of bikes there(including dedicated bike lane with signals) you would understand why :D

Good to hear your daughter is doing well and enjoying her choice. Nice to see she is a celebrity!
jonriv

by exD1dad » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 pm

DD live streams the Pan Am games to watch 2 women she beat last week finish in the top ten in the Keirin

USA sends ZERO Track Sprinters & you guys think the softball federation has problems ? :lol:
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:09 am

exD1dad wrote:DD live streams the Pan Am games to watch 2 women she beat last week finish in the top ten in the Keirin

USA sends ZERO Track Sprinters & you guys think the softball federation has problems ? :lol:

Ouch! Wishing continued success for her, exD1dad!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to The Pub