Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Getting The Bird, Thanksgiving

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Safebyahare » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Last year I got a small extra turkey. It was my first attempt a smoking one.
I used mesquite wood and orange slices.
It came out great except I thought it to be too smokey and the skin was too black.
I made it the day before and enjoyed it, however on Thanksgiving I was too smoked out and would have nothing to do with it and enjoyed my wife's bird she prepared.
This year I will attempt Hero status.
I will use cherry wood and cherries to smoke and season the bird.
It will also be wrapped in bacon. Yup a bacon cherry wood smoked turkey, pushing the envelope beyond crazy fun.
Some slices may even find their way between the meat and skin.
Bah haa haa! Wishing all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Safebyahare wrote:Last year I got a small extra turkey. It was my first attempt a smoking one.
I used mesquite wood and orange slices.
It came out great except I thought it to be too smokey and the skin was too black.
I made it the day before and enjoyed it, however on Thanksgiving I was too smoked out and would have nothing to do with it and enjoyed my wife's bird she prepared.
This year I will attempt Hero status.
I will use cherry wood and cherries to smoke and season the bird.
It will also be wrapped in bacon. Yup a bacon cherry wood smoked turkey, pushing the envelope beyond crazy fun.
Some slices may even find their way between the meat and skin.
Bah haa haa! Wishing all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

The skin coating 'bark' was to much smoke...or green wood...
So far Im a post oak fan...light and sweet taste...
May smoke us one...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: PR Too much smoke or green wood. It is too much smoke.
I would post a picture of what real turkey bacon now looks like, but I do not know how to post my own pics.
It's just as well, I would probably just embarrass the family tree.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Safebyahare wrote:Re: PR Too much smoke or green wood. It is too much smoke.
I would post a picture of what real turkey bacon now looks like, but I do not know how to post my own pics.

My method is the cooking bags. I have tried smoking and the first time I did it, it worked, it looked burned but it was great. Since then I have undercooked it (when smoking a turkey), pretty consistently.

Using the Reynolds cooking bags - it takes about 3 - 3.5 hours max and the turkey is very nice and moist. I did my first one when I was 18 and havent stopped.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:07 pm

DonnieS wrote:
Safebyahare wrote:Re: PR Too much smoke or green wood. It is too much smoke.

My method is the cooking bags. I have tried smoking and the first time I did it, it worked, it looked burned but it was great. Since then I have undercooked it (when smoking a turkey), pretty consistently.

Using the Reynolds cooking bags - it takes about 3 - 3.5 hours max and the turkey is very nice and moist. I did my first one when I was 18 and havent stopped.

Donnie, we've the bags for years...mayonnaise make a nice brown glaze btw...
Do you mean a bag in the smoker?...or in the oven?
Did some research on smoking turkeys...recommend brining and a heat of about 325...and to split the bird in two removing the backbone...may try that around Christmas...We have started a tradition of frying catfish, shrimp etc on Christmas...started back when we had 2 in-laws for every holiday dinner...a man can only eat so much turkey and dressing in 2 months...
Brining works...also, saw something that recommended that bird be placed breast down in bag for first few hours in the oven...then flipped to brown breasts...

Hare, I usually, just cause Im lazy, email myself the picture and then upload it to photobucket.com...can resize it there...also provide sharing type links...I wanna learn to embed videos in posts...

Then my life will be complete... 8-)
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Yes, PR , a bag in the oven. We have to avoid any addtion of sodium - the sodium they pump into these 'fresh' turkeys is pretty intense. But I love turkey leftovers and sliced leftover turkey on a good bread makes great sandwiches for the next week or so.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:33 pm

DonnieS wrote:Yes, PR , a bag in the oven. We have to avoid any addtion of sodium - the sodium they pump into these 'fresh' turkeys is pretty intense. But I love turkey leftovers and sliced leftover turkey on a good bread makes great sandwiches for the next week or so.

Yes they inject the birds with the 'brine solution'...which is usually a sea salt mix...
To me leftover turkey sandwiches...on fresh white bread is DA BOMB!
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Pale Rider wrote:saw something that recommended that bird be placed breast down in bag for first few hours in the oven...then flipped to brown breasts...

I want to try the breast down for a few reasons. The breasts cook quicker than dark meat and can dry out while getting the thighs up to temperature. The liquid that accumulates in the bag could also help the breast from drying out. I also heard a chef talk about putting butter in the cavity and then starting breast down.

@Donnie - what temperature do you cook at? They cook quicker in a bag and 3+ hours suggests a big bird and/or a lower cooking temperature.

Letting the bird rest before carving is also important. Any thoughts or suggestions?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm

PDad, I just follow the instructions on the package to the letter, though I do the butter in the cavity too. What I do is take butter, soften it and rub it all over the meat, then I take a stick of butter/margarine and put that in the cavity. I use that No salt Lemon Pepper and shake that pretty good all around the meat. Then put the tbs of flour in the bag, shake it up and put the turkey in, - I usually get the biggest bird they have , usually 22 - 24 pounder. And I let it set for a while , after it comes out of the over. I have not tried the breast down - but thats not a bad idea, but in a bag , I would probably not be able to turn it over.

Donnie

PDad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:saw something that recommended that bird be placed breast down in bag for first few hours in the oven...then flipped to brown breasts...

I want to try the breast down for a few reasons. The breasts cook quicker than dark meat and can dry out while getting the thighs up to temperature. The liquid that accumulates in the bag could also help the breast from drying out. I also heard a chef talk about putting butter in the cavity and then starting breast down.

@Donnie - what temperature do you cook at? They cook quicker in a bag and 3+ hours suggests a big bird and/or a lower cooking temperature.

Letting the bird rest before carving is also important. Any thoughts or suggestions?
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Well, taste like turkey. Fudge.
The skin came out perfect, smokey flavor nice and not over powering, NO bacon twist or flavor. :evil:
Perhaps next year will inject bacon fat into bird.
Just learning like this game our girls play.
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to The Pub