Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Another thought...NFL related

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:20 pm

I don't /, haven't watched NFL football in years and don't watch 30 mins of NCAA football a year...MLB pretty much lost me when Alomar spit in the umps face and got a slap on the wrist...
Only 2 sports events I watch are the CWS and WCWS...so I'm not wanting the usual mega urinary distance match...Only a discussion...
So here we go... now since the spotlight of truth has shone upon the NFL...well on 2 issues anyway...
Neither of which should the US govt have a dang thing to say about...

But given, since the 3 stooges based gubberment we have wants to interject itself...such as that horribly offensive name that Native Americans overwhelmingly approve of...The Redskins, which Dear Leader wants changed....

Ok, now given the NFL will be forced to drop 'the ban hammer'...
Whats law violations will constitute 'banning' or penalties?
Domestic abuse, child abuse...what else?...only violence offenses, what about drug violations etc...burglaries etc...Shop lifting?
Where do they draw the 'morals' line?

Now after you come up with your personal list...will that apply to NCAA football players?
Wonder what the rap sheets look like for every team...
I KNOW of one kid who is playing football that has an assault involving firearms ON CAMPUS conviction...and hes still playing...
Whats the list of 'banning' level violations?...
Will the NCAA use it?

Oh and just for shits and giggles go look up law violations to include felonies etc in the US Congress ....etc...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 pm

The Native American/Team mascot issue is interesting and one that I don't believe can be covered with any blaket policy. I reaaly think that each organization needs to decide wtheir own fate based on what is best for them. I know that Florida State, Illinois and Utah all are in contact with the respective tribes and have worked closely with them. Those nations are fully behind those teams and view it as an honor The Cleveland Indians got their name from a former player.

The Redskins are a different issue. Redskin can be viewed as derogatory akin to the "n" word I am aware that there are many native americans that find the name offensive. I can kind of see that

I do think most teams took names for as either some local affiliation or as an intimidating name, not to be derogatory

I think we could probably do without the caricature mascots and the tomahawk chops.

I do wonder if any Irish-Americans take offense to the Celtics or to Notre Dame?

Syracuseis named for Irish and Scotch-Irish Protestants
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Spartans threw their OWN babies off cliffs...
Raiders killed women and children...
Hurricanes killed thousands...
Fightin' Okra?...I HATE Okra...
Boll Weevils ruined cotton crops..
;)
SOMEONE can something offensive about EVERYTHING...

What about LAW violations?
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Spartans threw their OWN babies off cliffs...
Raiders killed women and children...
Hurricanes killed thousands...
Fightin' Okra?...I HATE Okra...
Boll Weevils ruined cotton crops..
;)
SOMEONE can something offensive about EVERYTHING...

What about LAW violations?

Santa Cruz Fightin' Banana Slugs?
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Im afraid of slugs...that offends me...especially when you pour salt on them... :D

And my Indian name which roughly interpreted means, Man who leaves 3 tracks in snow... ;) 8-)

Sticks and stones...Mighty funny when I saw several of the last Navajo ' Code Talkers' at a Redskins game with swag on...
For the record, I am in awe of what the Indians, or more PC, Native Americans stood for...and just how did illegal immigration work out for them?

What about the law violations...I know HS players with multiple assault arrests...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

I think the NFL(as well as the NCAA and High School) should do what they can to eliminate criminals from playing. There should be behavior standards and punishments that are proportional to the crimes- up to and inluding banishment. These punishments should be the same for all players(stars too) As much as we can argue that they should not be role models, the fact is they are and should be held to a least the same standard as society if not higher. It is a privelage to play a sport(especially at a professional level) and I do not think it is too much to expect a certain level of behavior from players
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:36 pm

jonriv wrote:I think the NFL(as well as the NCAA and High School) should do what they can to eliminate criminals from playing. There should be behavior standards and punishments that are proportional to the crimes- up to and inluding banishment. These punishments should be the same for all players(stars too) As much as we can argue that they should not be role models, the fact is they are and should be held to a least the same standard as society if not higher. It is a privelage to play a sport(especially at a professional level) and I do not think it is too much to expect a certain level of behavior from players

Ok,...I agree
Whats everyones opinion on what constitutes a penalty?
FSU's QB sorta comes to mind...
2/3rds of LSU probably ;)

...and just how much control of a totally privately owned company do you think the 'gubberment' should have?
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:47 pm

I think some of yall have too much time on your hands.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Government does not seem to be excersizing any control over the nfl. The Feds have except sided some influence on mlb because of mlb's special monopoly arrangement

Local governments that own stadiums etc certainly have a right exert some influence. The fact most games are on public airways also gives the fed some say

In my industry ( finance) you need to have a background check and you can not have a criminal record to be bonded. If you can not be bonded you can't work there. It is a federal regulation. Obviously all companies are covered by both federal and state labor laws. What controls are you talking about pr
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Spazsdad wrote:[quote="jonriv" I know that Florida State, Illinois and Utah all are in contact with the respective tribes and have worked closely with them. Those nations are fully behind those teams and view it as an honor

They view it as such an honor that Illinois has no mascot. :roll:[/quote]

Fighting Illini??????
jonriv

Next

Return to The Pub