Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

NFL finally does the right thing

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by jonriv » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Stat brought up on the nfl broadcast tonight. Every day three women are killed by their partners/spouse.
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:06 am

AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 am

jonriv wrote:Stat brought up on the nfl broadcast tonight. Every day three women are killed by their partners/spouse.

In the USA? North America? the world?

USA = 1100 per year
Avg 22 per state per year
Avg 1.83 per month per state
That's less than 1 per two weeks in each state.

Contrast to the leading causes of death:

•Heart disease: 596,577
•Cancer: 576,691
•Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,943
•Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932
•Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438
•Alzheimer's disease: 84,974
•Diabetes: 73,831
•Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826
•Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,591
•Intentional self-harm (suicide): 39,518

The flu kills 50 times more often than spouses kill women. People kill themselves nearly 40 times more often.

The point is that this is a much smaller problem than the media is making it. When it happens, the media exploits it because its much more interesting than the liquor store clerk being killed in a robbery. The abuse angle allows them to take some artificial moral highground and preach to us about the virtues of being perfect.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:45 am

Sam the stat, I just check was for the us. It included husbands and boyfriends. It was from the us dept of justice. In a report by Shannon Catalans, phd. My guess cbs would have checked there facts before broadcasting

The news tends to put "random" murders on the news, playing on people's fears of being a random victim of a stranger. The fact is you are three times more likely to be killed by someone you know. So Sam you should keep your one eye open at night :D
jonriv

by Sam » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:01 am

jonriv wrote:Sam the stat, I just check was for the us. It included husbands and boyfriends. It was from the us dept of justice. In a report by Shannon Catalans, phd. My guess cbs would have checked there facts before broadcasting

The news tends to put "random" murders on the news, playing on people's fears of being a random victim of a stranger. The fact is you are three times more likely to be killed by someone you know. So Sam you should keep your one eye open at night :D

I have been married 28 years and hide the kitchen knives every night before going to bed.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:03 am

Sam wrote:
jonriv wrote:Sam the stat, I just check was for the us. It included husbands and boyfriends. It was from the us dept of justice. In a report by Shannon Catalans, phd. My guess cbs would have checked there facts before broadcasting

I have been married 28 years and hide the kitchen knives every night before going to bed.

Good idea! Might want to hide your belts and garden tools too
jonriv

by jonriv » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:09 am

Battle wrote:
jonriv wrote:Was just watching cnbc, a report came in that the nfl was sent the tape three months ago and receipt was acknowledged. Also, there are some indications that Ray Rice may be subject to additional charges

Why do we continue to protect people (adults) that don't want protection?

When a crime is committed and a law is broken. Even though the there is a victim of the crime, the breaking of the law is in fact crime against all of us(society). That is why in criminal cases it is always "the state of .... Vs and the United States vs .....

The prosecutor has discretion in pursuing prosecution even if the "victim" does not want to prosecute based on the good of society. It is more difficult to prosecute without victims help, but videotape can make a big difference
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Anheuser-Busch lashes out at NFL over incidents http://www.cnbc.com/id/102000808

Looks like the sponsors are not happy. $$$ talks
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm

OMG...wonder what Holders gonna do when they realize,

Rice and Peterson are black.... :roll:
This chit is ridiculous
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm

jonriv wrote:Anheuser-Busch lashes out at NFL over incidents http://www.cnbc.com/id/102000808

Looks like the sponsors are not happy. $$$ talks

Their products have attributed to more drunken beatings and vehicular deaths than can be counted. They hold no weight in terms of moral authority. Pot calling the kettle black huh?
tbjd33

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub