Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

The American Conundrums

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by jonriv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 am

My experience has been that everyone is against "subsidies" unless it's their "subsidy"

Liberals complain about subsidies to big business. Conservatives against subsidies to "free loaders"

I would be willing to bet 100% of those on HB receive some form of government subsidy or another

Those who are home owners probably get a income tax deduction for their mortgage and/or their real estate tax. Those who don't own a home and send their kids to public school(since most states use real estate taxes to pay for school. Your kid plays sports in HS?-subsidized Women sports in college, subsidized. Drive on the highway, fly out of an airport...... Scholarship or other aid- you get the picture. These are all forms of subsidies, many that are worthwhile. Great arguments could be made for all of them, I am sure some against.

Its like tax reform- everyone wants it unless it affects their deductions- just some food for thought
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:55 am

jonriv wrote:My experience has been that everyone is against "subsidies" unless it's their "subsidy"

Liberals complain about subsidies to big business. Conservatives against subsidies to "free loaders"

I would be willing to bet 100% of those on HB receive some form of government subsidy or another

Those who are home owners probably get a income tax deduction for their mortgage and/or their real estate tax. Those who don't own a home and send their kids to public school(since most states use real estate taxes to pay for school. Your kid plays sports in HS?-subsidized Women sports in college, subsidized. Drive on the highway, fly out of an airport...... Scholarship or other aid- you get the picture. These are all forms of subsidies, many that are worthwhile. Great arguments could be made for all of them, I am sure some against.

Its like tax reform- everyone wants it unless it affects their deductions- just some food for thought

"Provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare'...

The things you listed are covered in there ...PRVOVIDING endless welfare, be it corporate OR freeloaders....isn't covered...
Dont get me started on how much the govt wastes...Love the folks who blame troops...they dont realize the military doesnt buy anything that some politicians or bureaucrat hasnt MADE them buy thru ridiculous contracts...

You must have never seen East Berlin...before the wall came down...Funny thing is now the Russians are beating us at what made the US the Country it was...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 am

PR there are many that would argue your point about general welfare or use it to support their plan. My only point was to point out that many times a view on subsidies depends on your point of view. They probably all have place( to a degree) and I would agree that too many are past that point. Just that when it comes time to reform everyone defends their own sacred cows

As for Russia, you are looking at the clinging of a drowning man. They have lost their empire and Putin is using nationalist pride and outward policies to deflect internal issues. I say hit him hard with overall sanctions and sell the Europeans our cheap natural gas!

As for the military. I remember an instructor at ft benning telling us just before jumping out of a plane "just remember that every piece of equiptment you are using, including the plane, were made by the lowest builder!"
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:54 am

Russia has VAST resources...oil, gas etc...Their biggest problem is getting it from A-B...They can grow more food than we can imagine...just cant get it to market...
Some will argue that why the 'establishment' want Afghanistan so bad...Pipeline from Russia to the Indian Ocean...They'll re-take the Ukraine...with numerous 'harrumphs' from the UN ...
I don't know what the world will look like in 100 yrs...I'll be dust...so will you...I do know it wont look anything like what we remember...
My imagination says, if we don't nuke the planet...or some biological disaster 'correction' of humanity ...See where ISIS has manuals out how to use bubonic plague and ebola as weapons?...or some other thing occurs...as more and more folks become takers, none of the things that make a Country run will be available anymore...The overall system will collapse...

Think Delhi or some other vastly overpopulated area...With that said...Mother Nature ALWAYS has a way to trim number of any living creature when they overpopulate...always....famine, disease...something

But the politicians who think they're royalty will be living quite well...
A Republic ran by the people for the people is basically over...or at best on life support
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to The Pub