Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Freedom of Information

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by jonriv » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:50 pm

The key in that is "repeat offender" they should learn the first time. As the info Sam produced- it is usually not a "first time thing"
jonriv

by Battle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:07 pm

jonriv wrote:The key in that is "repeat offender" they should learn the first time. As the info Sam produced- it is usually not a "first time thing"

Could it be that they became a repeat offender because they are tied to a life of poverty for a mistake that happened years ago? As I have said, it only takes one time...one arrest and you are marked. A good job with good pay changes lives. I don't fault the media puppets for the info they believe because they don't really know any better. They think they do but they don't.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Sam » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Battle wrote:Once you are convicted of a felony, you are never really free even though you are not in jail/prison. Just the conviction is enough to ruin your life. That's what people don't understand. When you are released, the prison has just begun. You can read all you want but you don't really know unless it has directly affected your life and I'm not talking on the self rightous side of life.

Prosecutors routinely pleas felony charges down to misdemeanors. If you get convicted of a felony, the overwhelming likelihood is that you deserve it.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 pm

jonriv

by Battle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Sam wrote:
Battle wrote:Once you are convicted of a felony, you are never really free even though you are not in jail/prison. Just the conviction is enough to ruin your life. That's what people don't understand. When you are released, the prison has just begun. You can read all you want but you don't really know unless it has directly affected your life and I'm not talking on the self rightous side of life.

Prosecutors routinely pleas felony charges down to misdemeanors. If you get convicted of a felony, the overwhelming likelihood is that you deserve it.

...in some states but not all. It's not as routine as you might think depending on the crime and that's the point. Maybe they do deserve the conviction but it doesn't warrant getting out and having to reveal it everytime you apply for a job or loan. It should be a case by case basis.
Last edited by Battle on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Battle wrote:You can't dictate what your kid will be later on in life no matter how involved you are. I think peers dictate that more than you. You can only hope that they really listened to you.

Show me your friends and I will show you your future.

"A man is known by the company he keeps."
Phoenix by Euripides
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm

PDad wrote:
Battle wrote:You can't dictate what your kid will be later on in life no matter how involved you are. I think peers dictate that more than you. You can only hope that they really listened to you.

Show me your friends and I will show you your future.

"A man is known by the company he keeps."
Phoenix by Euripides

That is very true. Even some states fall into that. Convicts can't run with convicts.
Battle

by PDad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Sam wrote:

Prosecutorial discretion is not exercised evenly for various reasons and a key one is the quality of the defendant's attorney. A young Jonriv might have readily confessed to an obscure minor felony due to his upbringing while celebrities and wealthy people get serious crimes pleaded down to misdemeanors or diverted altogether. You can say Jonriv deserved it, but it's not justice and the long term consequences wouldn't have been in the public's best interest.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:45 am

An interesting look at European drug policies by Rick Steves- the PBS guy who does the travel shows on Europe. He gives a very pragmatic non-political view

http://www.ricksteves.com/about-rick/drug-policy-reform
jonriv

by blackwidow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Sorry but There was no public outcry for drug prohibition. There was a perception created by politicians seeking votes with no actual basis in reality.
http://origins.osu.edu/article/illegali ... nopaging=1

Mandatory minimum sentencing
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/03 ... s-20131104

Regarding SAMs attached report from ONDCP

Another federal jobs program that stands to lose if drugs are decriminalized.
ONDCP An unbiased source? I think not

By law, the drug czar must oppose any attempt to legalize the use (in any form) of illicit drugs.[12] According to the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 1998"[13] the director of the ONDCP

(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;

The Government Accountability Office has found that this law authorizes the ONDCP to disseminate information in order to oppose legalization:[14]

Finally, apart from considerations of whether any particular law has been violated, you have asked whether the Deputy Director's letter disseminated misleading information in connection with statements relating to the debate over legalization of marijuana. Clearly, the Deputy Director's statements reflect one perspective regarding marijuana - a perspective that is disputed by others with different viewpoints. However, ONDCP is specifically charged with the responsibility for "taking such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use" of certain controlled substances such as marijuana - a responsibility which logically could include the making of advocacy statements in opposition to legalization efforts. The Deputy Director's statements about marijuana are thus within the statutory role assigned to ONDCP. Given this role, we do not see a need to examine the accuracy of the Deputy Director's individual statements in detail.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_ ... rol_Policy

Peace
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub