Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Positive energy for Donnie S's son

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by bart16761 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

DonnieS wrote:
jonriv wrote:Is dating 4 young ladies part of his therapy?? :D He might be on to something.

Glad to hear he is doing better-our prayers with him and your family.

I asked him last night 'whats up with 4 ladies' - he said remembering and most importantly saying the correct names is most certainly therapeutic. His sense of humor, which at times is missing, can be fun. One of the 'dad-son' issues that popped up during all of this was video games. He like a lot of kids of that generation , spend too much time playing video games. I have this crazy idea that when you live 19 miles from the gulf of mexico, why not surf, swim, kayak, sail, fish, dive, beachwalk, frisbee, etc. etc at the beach. My girls most definitely inherited the old man's dna and love of the gulf. Anyway, when all this happened , as they were explaining what rehab would be made of, video games was mentioned as very helpful ?!. I said ' you gotta be kidding me - he is going to ride this pony all over me'. Sure enough, when he became fully conscious , we told him that he wasnt coming home, that he had to go to a rehab hospital for a while. But when he found out about the gaming stuff, he had a lot of fun - telling me - when he is playing Madden or whatever , 'Dad, can you keep it down over there, I'm doing therapy.' And as you can imagine, I am glad he is.

Thats funny glad to hear that he is making progress
bart16761
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:35 pm

A progress report on my son's recovery - he continues to inch forward, he gets quite frustrated at times but he is working - and doing well at his job, he has learned how to function within his new world. He does the same job he had before he got hurt, he does inside sales for an industrial pump company which requires mechanical engineering in calculating the size ,etc. of what kind of equipment is needed for different kinds of processes. His personal production numbers now are higher than before he got hurt - he is compensated based on those numbers, so he is knows he has progressed. He has learned that a lot of what he used to do in his head, he has to script out and take notes as he goes though the calculations.

His big thing other than work - is coaching. He is 26 and typically coaches baseball, basketball, and his major love, football. His goal when he came back from a short stay at res rehab was to coach the basketball league that was starting about a month after the incident, and that wasn't possible and he accepted that. Then he tried to get back to baseball during the beginning of little league season, but again, wasn't able to. In June, two months ago, he tried summer basketball at one of the inner city leagues, and made one practice , and had to turn it over to his assistant. Still not strong enough to do a work day, and then organize and run practices. Recently , he saw one of his rehab therapists and his neurologist and they recommended a very experienced psychiatrist who was familiar with traumatic brain injuries, a Vietnam vet, - he has put him on some light meds and Erik is trying again, this time with little league football. He has gone to two days of tryouts and went over his draft notes with me a little while ago, then headed over to the draft. I asked if he wanted me to go - and he said, "Dad, I think I got it". Two families , of very strong athletes, gave him 'Selection paper' which allows him to take their kids as 'protected', all the other coaches are dads who have kids on the team, so he gets two protected picks, but their respect made him feel good. So he is doing his draft right now , he is also a board member in the football league and really wants this to work. I asked him to consider giving it another year, I have my doubts as to whether he is strong enough. But he said that he loves football so much that he thinks this will help with his healing. So prayers and good thoughts go with this incredible young man.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Incredible is an understatement, Donnie. Thank you for keeping us up to date and I wish your son and your family continued success and blessings.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:23 pm

...Great news Amigo!!!

ID the perp...give me a shout... :twisted:
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Pale Rider wrote:...Great news Amigo!!!

ID the perp...give me a shout... :twisted:

Lets hope the system does its job. I have the highest respect for the lead investigator on the case, this guy is on a mission. Really at this point, the DA's office really has a lot of ammunition - so I am very hopeful.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 am

...all they need is one .22 round :|

China bills criminals family for that 1 round
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 am

Hey Donnie,
I'll be headed Texas way next Friday, if there is anything from So Cal , that your kid might need or want, hit me up.
Chris
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 am

BAM2 wrote:Hey Donnie,
I'll be headed Texas way next Friday, if there is anything from So Cal , that your kid might need or want, hit me up.
Chris

Thank Chris, what he needs is a little more endurance and strength. The determination seems to be there. I was up in the attic last night digging out the blocking dummies, tackling dummies, he was shopping at the local sports store for field cones and miscellaneous stuff, and then loading up the back of his vehicle for tonights practice.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Erik has coached his 4th game, he continues to get strength from those 15 little boys, some of those boys were those who spent a lot a time at the hospital - against my wishes - it was hard for them to be around him early on, but they wouldn't leave.

Still issues but he battles. Thanks for everyones wishes and prayers. And remember the little girl we are praying for - that was hit while on her bicycle.

Thanks.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:19 pm

Prayers for Erik, he's a trooper...and being around kids is therapeutic...for both
Little girls condition?...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub