Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Pub

Umps, teachers and congressmen

Off topic. Home for jokes and other misc. stuff.
Keep it reasonable.

by Skarp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:28 pm

Can anyone name any other professions where the practitioners think they are above the criticism of their client base?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Lawyers are lumped with congressmen, correct?

Priests?

Used car salesmen as they deny everything after the fact.
fasterpitch92701

by SSdad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Lawyers are lumped with congressmen, correct?

Priests?

Used car salesmen as they deny everything after the fact.

tv evangelists
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
SSdad

by wadeintothem » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Umpires are above criticism?

hmmm

Thats a first!

On what planet?
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Skarp wrote:Can anyone name any other professions where the practitioners think they are above the criticism of their client base?

I don't know any umpire who believes they are above authoritative criticism.
MTR

by DonnieS » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:48 pm

>> I don't know any umpire who believes they are above authoritative criticism. <<

Anybody? ... anybody?
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:16 am

MTR wrote:
Skarp wrote:Can anyone name any other professions where the practitioners think they are above the criticism of their client base?

I don't know any umpire who believes they are above authoritative criticism.

I have no clue what that means (or what it would prove if I did).

All I know is that anyone who dares suggest that an umpire is less than flawless gets excoriated by the umps who post on here. So we have third-parties who weren't there telling the people who were there that they are full of crap, and that they have bad motives to boot (that is, when they aren't just bad-mouthing the posters' parenting...or their daughters directly).

Since said flaming is the invariable response, I have to assume that umps--or at least those who post here--believe they are above the criticism of their client base.

But umps are just like any other group of professionals. If you could rank their skill levels, the result would look like a bell curve, with 1/2 being worse than average and an appreciable percentage being downright awful. The downright awful ones deserve to be criticized.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:58 am

Skarp wrote:I have no clue what that means (or what it would prove if I did).

There is a shock we will all have to live with! :o

All I know is that anyone who dares suggest that an umpire is less than flawless gets excoriated by the umps who post on here. So we have third-parties who weren't there telling the people who were there that they are full of crap, and that they have bad motives to boot (that is, when they aren't just bad-mouthing the posters' parenting...or their daughters directly).

No. What the umpires are saying is that an uneducated opinion is not fact and that maybe you should temper your complaints until you have the appropriate training, knowledge and experience that qualifies you to offer a proper evaluation of any mechanic or judgment.

Since said flaming is the invariable response, I have to assume that umps--or at least those who post here--believe they are above the criticism of their client base.

Assume away.

But umps are just like any other group of professionals. If you could rank their skill levels, the result would look like a bell curve, with 1/2 being worse than average and an appreciable percentage being downright awful. The downright awful ones deserve to be criticized.

You mean like doctors and lawyers who I'm sure change their methods of practice based on the clients assumptive opinions.
MTR

by Skarp » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:18 pm

MTR wrote:No. What the umpires are saying is that an uneducated opinion is not fact and that maybe you should temper your complaints until you have the appropriate training, knowledge and experience that qualifies you to offer a proper evaluation of any mechanic or judgment.

Feel free to point to any complaints about umping that I personally have made, and I'll consider tempering them.

I don't complain about umps, because it's a waste of time and the topic is boring. But it gets a little old watching the umps on here fall all over each other to bash whoever dares bring the subject up.

But since you raised the issue, if you're suggesting that I'm not capable of looking at a pitch and determining that it missed the plate by a foot--that in fact nobody aside from umps is capable of making that assessment--then you've got a tad too lofty opinion of yourself. (A shock that we will all have to live with. :o )

btw: if lawyers or doctors do shitty jobs, they are subject to malpractice suits and the loss of their professional licenses. Umps just catch a little flak on Heybucket. Rather than cry like a girl every time that happens, why don't you grow a pair and deal with it?
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hawk17 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Posters on message boards? :lol:

Most umpires I know will readily admit that they are not perfect.

I don't know any lawyers.

I am a teacher and if you think that teachers are above criticism, you are out of your mind. Teachers take a ton of criticism and most of us do our best. Most of the time we are expected to listen to criticism and not respond.

You sound a tad bitter. Find something important to focus your anger at.
Hawk17

Next

Return to The Pub