Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Canada

Canadian Fastpitch Forum ends

by Inthestands » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 am

Its a sad day when a fastpitch discussion and information site that sees over 350,000 visits per month ends. But that is what has happened. Canadian Fastpitch Forum for years had been the site that allowed Canadian and especially Ontario teams, players, coaches and fans to communicate. Everything from tournament announcements, players wanted, college information, debates on rule changes, governing bodies and so on where available.

Years of bullying by the Ontario Provincial Women's Softball Association of the site host no doubt had a bearing on it closing. This organization's close minded walled garden approach is unfortunately part of their attempt to continue their own monopoly over a geographic area with a population similar to that of Michigan or Ohio and the 3rd largest metro population in Canada/US. Toronto with approximately 6.5 million and the province with 14.5 million has always been the hot bed of fastpitch softball in Canada. Its ready access to the border, similar climate to its US neighbors and its well known player and team quality, is facing potential declines in numbers.

With both NSA and USSSA operating in Canada and especially Ontario, the PWSA has tried everything possible to restrict their growth. Perhaps its time for PGF to take a run at this and open this large and lucrative market to the freedom and openness that teams and players need and enjoy on this side of the border.
Inthestands

by xcaddis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:07 am

Yes, it suddenly shut down was the only place I knew of to get softball info for girls fastpitch in Ontario. Very frustrating
xcaddis

by xcaddis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:20 am

Based on what I have experienced with the PWSA, they are controlling and disorganized. They are concerned more with controlling who does what rather than creating the very best experience for the girls that play. Couple this with Softball Ontario and its the blind leading the blind.

I could drone on forever about this...its obvious to anyone with a daughter playing why the Ontario teams can't typically compete with our US neighbors. Its no surprise that teams in Windsor spend most of their time in the US and how the Niagara/St. Catherine's area cant field teams as all the kids go across the boarder. I would be doing the same if I were closer.
xcaddis

by Inthestands » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 am

We consider ourselves among the fortunate in the we were able to steer our daughter through the nonsense and ultimately end up in the US College system as a freshman this year enjoying high calibre ball.

Along the way some of the most memorable moments came by guest playing with US teams...something we did often. Our favourite tournaments were in the US as were the favourite parks (there is one in Ontario that always gets high marks and is one of the best around....Packham in Stratford). The last team she played for in her final year in Ontario was and will be a favourite and she plans to pick up with them for one last round of tourneys in the US as a final year 18U. In the US, Amherst Lightning, Rainier Jets Gold, Lady Orioles Gold, San Diego Legacy all treated us very well and we still stay in touch with all of them. When we asked her this past weekend if she had any interest in doing a PWSA provincials as a Junior....the answer was a "hell no....find a tourney in the US please".....and we did.
Inthestands

Return to Canada