Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Tip & Drills

Situational Practice

Must be a registered user to be able to post.

by Cannonball » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Well, we have 8+ inches of snow on the ground and so, I'm left here at my computer.

I checked with the owners of this site and members CAN post what they do in practice. I'd sure like to read some other thoughts so that I can help my dd. If your practice ideas aren't international secrets or posted "top secret" by the USA Government, how about sharing?

Situational Practice:

I don't know how many of you do situational practice with runners or how you do it but here is a little of what we do. We put a runner in the left hand batter's box and we call out a situation. For example, runner on 1st, runner is fast, no one out, and then we give a count to the pitcher. The coach then has the defense look away and gives a sign to the runner. For instance in this example the runner has the steal sign. The pitcher throws a pitch and the coach, who is holding a ball can:

• Hit the ball.
  • Fake bunt and so, the catcher has to attempt to throw the runner out.
  • Simulate bunting the ball in any direction he/she desires.
  • Hit a popup.

We try to do a lot of situational work but beware, if you go into the practice and think you'll just create scenerios on the fly, you'll end up making practice drag along. Be organized and pull out a sheet of paper with team flaws that need to be address. This will make practice a lot of fun. Oh, and don't forget that OF work hitting the cutoffs is often overlooked or boring. In this drill, the OF gets a lot of action.

Finally, I have another drill or two I'd like to share. I'd like to read what others do before doing so. Otherwise, I might be giving the impression that I'm trying to run this forum. (Either that or I'm trying to demonstrate how dumb I am once you read this stuff.)
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by Cannonball » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Well at least there are a lot of responses to these posts. :P

Runner on 2nd, pitcher throws pitch, coach hits the ball down the right field line. Now, what happens? Who are you using as a cut? If 1st baseman, the pitcher go to a place half way between 3rd and home and reads the play on where to go to backup. RF has to throw to hit the cut and SS has to be ready at second base for a play should the hitter continue to 2nd. A possible rundown play is in the offering and so, all OF are on the move.

How about this one:

Fast Runner on 1st, pitcher throws pitch and runner is running. Bunt down the 3rd base line. Who has 3rd? For us, it depends upon the length of the bunt. If the ball is bunted and both pitcher and 3rd are running in and the catcher can not make the play, the catcher has 3rd. If the ball is bunted longer and 3rd fields the ball quickly, the pitcher curls and sprints for 3rd. If the ball is bunted back at the pitcher, the 3rd baseman stops and sprints back to 3rd. On all of these plays, the lf has to read and can not let 3rd go uncovered. They are the emergency cover. However, we ask them to read first and if the base is covered, not to get too close to the bag to prevent a passed ball from getting past them. I'm sure you all might cover this differently. We have some speed at both catch and pitch and so, they can make these coverages.

...and now your responses. ;)
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by Redhotz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:20 am

We bring in left field to cover 3rd and center moves to left field on a bunt to 3rd with a possible play at 3rd
Redhotz

Return to Tip & Drills