Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

How Much Influence Has Baseball Had on Softball?

by Lone Staarr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:27 am

With the explosion/growth of softball in the last 5-10 years how much can we attribute to baseball if any? Baseball coaches? Baseball training/technique?

Do we still have people out there that think the softball swing is different than the baseball swing? Should it be different?
Lone Staarr

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 am

Maybe the batting is getting closer to baseball....but, approaching the ball is still going to be different.

Biology: Females hip/pelvic region is made different than males. Well, so at least I was told! :lol:
Hurricane

by Lone Staarr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 am

All I can say is that I'm no expert on the mechanics and all of the swing but back in my time I told my daughter to swing down on the ball. She hit well enough to earn a D1 scholarship.

Problem with my daughter was first movement of her arms were to drop them and completely swing upwards. Lots of pop-ups or 2 foot ground balls. So it help her with her swing.

Told her to hit top half... Harder to field a ground ball under pressure. Just sayin...

If you want to hit fly balls all of the time youre being selfish. Complete player can hit to all fields including the dirt and air. Thats the hitter I want.

Look at major league baseball they are all trying to swing for the fences. They are not trying to hit line drives because isnt that the best outcome of a hit ball?

I dont have the stats but how many major league baseball players are hitting over .300?

.02 cents worth for you. Just an opinion...
Lone Staarr

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:All I can say is that I'm no expert on the mechanics and all of the swing but back in my time I told my daughter to swing down on the ball. She hit well enough to earn a D1 scholarship.

Problem with my daughter was first movement of her arms were to drop them and completely swing upwards. Lots of pop-ups or 2 foot ground balls. So it help her with her swing.

Told her to hit top half... Harder to field a ground ball under pressure. Just sayin...

If you want to hit fly balls all of the time youre being selfish. Complete player can hit to all fields including the dirt and air. Thats the hitter I want.

Look at major league baseball they are all trying to swing for the fences. They are not trying to hit line drives because isnt that the best outcome of a hit ball?

I dont have the stats but how many major league baseball players are hitting over .300?

.02 cents worth for you. Just an opinion...

I agree with this, but unfortunately it seems to me that college coaches feel that unless you're a slapper you need to be swinging for the fence. I'm sure that's a big part of it, right? Unless you're going to hit consistent extra base hits we've got smaller girls with more speed that can "get on base" (and bunt).

DD has a new hitting coach now that she's in college so it will be interesting to see how this affects her swing, power, and average.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lone Staarr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:40 am

FP,

She will do great! Mine did, just keep an open mind and she'll do well. There's many ways to skin a cat. With all the hitting they do at college it helps most.

Hitting becomes sharper but so does pitching... And the battle continues . :D
Lone Staarr

by Mark H » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Compare everything anyone teaches you about swinging a bat to lots of slow motion video of the best in the world. Let that be your truth detector. I didn't say listen to them. That can be interesting but many of the best hitters think they are doing something different from what video will confirm.
Mark H

by Lone Staarr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Mark H wrote:Compare everything anyone teaches you about swinging a bat to lots of slow motion video of the best in the world. Let that be your truth detector. I didn't say listen to them. That can be interesting but many of the best hitters think they are doing something different from what video will confirm.

Mark, agree 100%! That's why mirror swings are great along with video you mentioned.
Lone Staarr

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Lone Staarr wrote:FP,

She will do great! Mine did, just keep an open mind and she'll do well. There's many ways to skin a cat. With all the hitting they do at college it helps most.

Hitting becomes sharper but so does pitching... And the battle continues . :D

Thanks Lone Staarr! Hopefully she will do well.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to TX