Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Intentionally walking a kid in a Showcase Event

by YplayAwhenucanplayB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Last weekend I witnessed a team intentionally walk a kid to win a ball game in a showcase event. It was a one run game with the trailing team up to bat with a runner on second base. The ump calls out “last batter”, then the defensive team throws 4 balls to walk the batter to the end the game. Not one ball was close enough for the hitter to make contact. I heard the defensive coach claim it was his catcher’s call, but how cowardly is it to put the blame on his catcher. Isn’t he the manager? Anyhow, this isn’t about that team. I’ve seen other teams do this. Is winning a showcase that more important than allowing a kid an opportunity to hit in a last at bat situation in front of a college coach or two? Even give your pitcher a chance to show she can win that battle?
YplayAwhenucanplayB

by freetacos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I can see it being done. You have remember that for the players it is win, win, win. Has been from the first day that they started the game. Why should the pitcher let the batter have a chance to beat her or her team? Are we going to start FFPFP? fun fair positive fastpitch softball. Personally I think if you stop the "last batter" crap then it won't happen.

If you were playing against one of my teams and the ump calls "last batter" then you better get ready to take one in the ribs. My pitchers will not throw batting practice to anyone. Don't like it, then you better have your batter wear some extra protective gear.

This whole showcase thing is so out of hand I don't even know why anyone bothers to show up any more. Send out you skills vids and save everyone alot of time and money. College coaches want to see passion but in todays showcase games there is no passion for the game.

ft

ps you probably really should play B....

let the nay sayers begin.

"Don't hurt the little girls" yadda yadda yadda
freetacos

by frito_burrito » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:01 pm

de peetcher she should jus save her arm. she only needs to trow one peetch. de screwsball dat gets away es a hit batter.
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:35 pm

To me, the pitcher just said "Hey I am not good enough to go against your best - so please take me off your recruit list." and on top of that, any parent who lets their kid play for an idiot like that - is an idiot.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by freetacos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

If you don't think college pitchers intentionally hit batters when needed then I hate to burst your bubble but it happens all the time. The coaches don't call it, the p/c do.

get real folks

ft
freetacos

by freetacos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:17 pm

The coach should never be the one pitching to the batter

ft
freetacos

by Phantomz08 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm

My dd was put in that situation as the last batter with runners at second and third this past weekend at Craig Ranch. I was coaching first base and heard the coach of voodoo say we are not going to walk her but we are not going to give her something to hit. She hit 3-2 pitch back at the pitcher, but according to the coach, that ball should have been untouchable.

I would play it straight up in this type of format, but that final score means more to a lot of people than it does to me in pool or round robin games.

I cannot stand when a person asks "Did you win"? I just say, we had more runs than they did when the umpire stopped the game or they had more runs than us when the umpire stopped the game. There really is no winner and loser when a game is not played finish the inning.

Spaz, I am surprised the moderators let you use that type of language :o :o
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by heretostay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Phantom I mean maryann summers ( same person) what do you know mr I like starting crap and talking to myself on the haybucket

FT, I read some good stuff you post and then it's like someone hacks your computer and says crap that is so stupid

just tell me you get smashed on booze at night and post shit that is ducken fumb and I will completely understand
[size=85]Do you mind if I drag these across your chin?[/size]
heretostay
Premium Member
Premium Member

by freetacos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm

I guess my main complaint is that after 14/16u fp softball means nothing anymore until they get to college. 18 Gold? Big deal...there are 10u Gold teams out there.

When did the girls stop playing to win?

ft
freetacos

by frito_burrito » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:08 am

dis es a lot why we stay en de 16s dis year. my daughter coach say de es gonna play up suntime buts de coaches feel de girls play harder an work harder when de dont play de 18u. de coach es bery smart.
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to TX