Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Running out the clock

by DP3816 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 am

Close game (pool), 3 minutes left, coach changes catcher and pitcher and has the pitcher not throw a strike because the tying run is on 2nd. I'm of the opinion that if your team is so desperate for a win that you'll resort to changing catchers with 3 minutes left maybe you should re-examine the reasoning for keeping the team together. To top if off after the game you'd would have thought the had just won a national tournament. come on folks act like you've been there before! If you do need it that badly just let me know at the coin flip and I'll just forfeit and save my pitchers.
DP3816

by MavFan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:30 am

Time killers have been around since Jesus was a baby. They are not going anywhere. It is part of the game and part of strategy, like it or not, agree with it or not.

I think it is silly to do in a round robin or a pool game but some people think otherwise.

Only way to stop it is to play 7 inning games, or change the tournament rules and say 5 innings is a complete game and play 5 with no time limit.
MavFan

by justawatcher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm

DP3816 wrote:Close game (pool), 3 minutes left, coach changes catcher and pitcher and has the pitcher not throw a strike because the tying run is on 2nd. I'm of the opinion that if your team is so desperate for a win that you'll resort to changing catchers with 3 minutes left maybe you should re-examine the reasoning for keeping the team together. To top if off after the game you'd would have thought the had just won a national tournament. come on folks act like you've been there before! If you do need it that badly just let me know at the coin flip and I'll just forfeit and save my pitchers.

What do you care? Aren't you just using that game to work on things and get better? Why post about it on HB? Save your pitchers? For what, some fall championship game? Act like you've been there before.

Or-don't make it close next time.
justawatcher

by DP3816 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:43 pm

justawatcher wrote:
DP3816 wrote:Close game (pool), 3 minutes left, coach changes catcher and pitcher and has the pitcher not throw a strike because the tying run is on 2nd. I'm of the opinion that if your team is so desperate for a win that you'll resort to changing catchers with 3 minutes left maybe you should re-examine the reasoning for keeping the team together. To top if off after the game you'd would have thought the had just won a national tournament. come on folks act like you've been there before! If you do need it that badly just let me know at the coin flip and I'll just forfeit and save my pitchers.

What do you care? Aren't you just using that game to work on things and get better? Why post about it on HB? Save your pitchers? For what, some fall championship game? Act like you've been there before.

Or-don't make it close next time.

Didn't I see you untying shoes in the dugout? Or is sending kids to the plate without a chin strap your favorite trick?
I guess I didn't make my point well enough. The team that did this was a pretty good team and I feel it belittles their players having to resort to changing catchers with 3 minutes left to win a pool game. Have faith in your players and play it out.
DP3816

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:26 pm

I think the point being made, is this topic has been beat dead a thousand times. All of us have been in the situation where we didn't run out the clock for whatever reason, lost the game, the loss carried over to the first bracket game, lost the tournament, and it just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth so we swore we would never do it again. No one likes it, but it is part of the game as played everyone weekend. Running out the clock is no different than walking the No. 4 hitter to load the bases with two outs and then striking out the next batter. Doesn't mean anything about your faith in your team. The solution: don't play in events with time games, and/or don't be behind at the end of the game.
TXfastpitchsoftball

by DP3816 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 pm

TXfastpitchsoftball wrote:I think the point being made, is this topic has been beat dead a thousand times. All of us have been in the situation where we didn't run out the clock for whatever reason, lost the game, the loss carried over to the first bracket game, lost the tournament, and it just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth so we swore we would never do it again. No one likes it, but it is part of the game as played everyone weekend. Running out the clock is no different than walking the No. 4 hitter to load the bases with two outs and then striking out the next batter. Doesn't mean anything about your faith in your team. The solution: don't play in events with time games, and/or don't be behind at the end of the game.

Well I can't compare it to walking a no. 4 hitter. That's a show of respect and it's a good strategy to pick a good hitter in the other teams lineup and not let them beat you. As far as posting a topic that has been beat to death and getting under the skins of some of the HB vets, I'm really sorry. Are there any other beat to death topics I shouldn't post about? Tell you what, I'll just leave HB to the experts from now on.
DP3816

by cuzmail » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Which tournament did this happen to you? I saw a little creative time killing this past weekend in Channelview too.
There's one in every crowd!
cuzmail

by DonnieS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:28 pm

If the game is not a pool game or similar, you use the rules to win. If its time, then use it. When I use to get awards for number of wins, no one asked how many times I ran out the clock. I have seen it taken to extremes - like was said, dont get behind.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 22'sDad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:50 pm

Sounds like a good rivalry building
You will get your chance for payback
22'sDad

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 pm

DP3816 wrote:
TXfastpitchsoftball wrote:I think the point being made, is this topic has been beat dead a thousand times. All of us have been in the situation where we didn't run out the clock for whatever reason, lost the game, the loss carried over to the first bracket game, lost the tournament, and it just left a bad taste in everyone's mouth so we swore we would never do it again. No one likes it, but it is part of the game as played everyone weekend. Running out the clock is no different than walking the No. 4 hitter to load the bases with two outs and then striking out the next batter. Doesn't mean anything about your faith in your team. The solution: don't play in events with time games, and/or don't be behind at the end of the game.

Well I can't compare it to walking a no. 4 hitter. That's a show of respect and it's a good strategy to pick a good hitter in the other teams lineup and not let them beat you. As far as posting a topic that has been beat to death and getting under the skins of some of the HB vets, I'm really sorry. Are there any other beat to death topics I shouldn't post about? Tell you what, I'll just leave HB to the experts from now on.

And running out the clock with 3 minutes left by changing the catcher, substituting pitchers, etc. is not a "sign of respect" to the batter in the box, the next batter, your entire team . . . ? You don't see it that way, I guess? Or you just wanted to vent on a national softball forum about losing a pool game. :roll:
TXfastpitchsoftball

Next

Return to TX