Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

University of Texas - Arlington

by DonnieS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:52 pm

freetacos wrote:Actually she seems to be a very nice lady. Years back she gave our 12u travel team a tour of the facilities and walk on the field before one of the UT games. The girls loved the locker room. Top notch of course. She went out of her way for our 12u team. Nice to see.

Still gotta fire her...

ft

ps I have fired Mac Brown 21 times so far in his career.

A@m and Baylor have great facilities as well.

So does Sam Houston State - thats a beautiful place.

Regarding Connie Clark, she has always been cool to my kids - my DD2 picked up the phone one night, and called her - they talked for a while - DD2 invited her to come see her pitch that year at RMD. She said 'Sure - I 'll be there.' I told DD2 - dont get your hopes up - Im sure she says that to everyone. But sure enough, she showed up - and then invited her through me (head coach - no violation) to come to the campus, etc. DD2 declined because we had misunderstood that she was a 'done deal' with another school. Wrong on that - but things worked out. Coach Clark also ran in to DD2 at a camp and posed with her with a hook em horns sign to send to DD1 over the College Station at the time. Nice lady - I have heard the talk - but she has always been classy around my kids (and team).
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 93players » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am

Coach Clark is a nice person and a good ambassador to the neighboring programs. Unfortunately, she is not a great game coach. Decisions made in that super regional were the cause of the UT meltdown. Coach Clark's recruiting practices are suspect. She likes to get local talent for little or no scholarship money and loses many A+ players to neighboring or out of state D1 programs. Texas might get one or two walkons wh o are A+ because of UT and the parents do not need money. But most walkons have a flaw. You can see it on the field and I will not call out player names. We know players who got half and full rides at other programs and the UT offer was books plus a little more. That is why they are suffering. You could easily put together an all Texas team that made the CWS, but she keeps going after elusive Cali players who only work out sometimes. Blair Luna saved Coach Clark's job even though she was picked up at the last minute for little money the first year. Other pitchers have not worked out so well. It is true that once in a while UT gets a handful of really hardworking kids, but often the team is full of prima donnas.

I wonder why UT cancelled their doubleheader with Texas State last weekend. On the schedule and then mysteriously disappears. Perhaps it was the very slender win over St. Marys and the fact that Texas State lost to the USA team 1-0. I bet Texas State would have given Texas fits.

I could hand pick a number of Houston, A&M, and Texas State (plus one SAM Houston catcher) players that should have been at UT and would have made Texas a CWS team.
93players

by MavFan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 am

93players wrote:Coach Clark is a nice person and a good ambassador to the neighboring programs. Unfortunately, she is not a great game coach. Decisions made in that super regional were the cause of the UT meltdown. Coach Clark's recruiting practices are suspect. She likes to get local talent for little or no scholarship money and loses many A+ players to neighboring or out of state D1 programs. Texas might get one or two walkons wh o are A+ because of UT and the parents do not need money. But most walkons have a flaw. You can see it on the field and I will not call out player names. We know players who got half and full rides at other programs and the UT offer was books plus a little more. That is why they are suffering. You could easily put together an all Texas team that made the CWS, but she keeps going after elusive Cali players who only work out sometimes. Blair Luna saved Coach Clark's job even though she was picked up at the last minute for little money the first year. Other pitchers have not worked out so well. It is true that once in a while UT gets a handful of really hardworking kids, but often the team is full of prima donnas.

I wonder why UT cancelled their doubleheader with Texas State last weekend. On the schedule and then mysteriously disappears. Perhaps it was the very slender win over St. Marys and the fact that Texas State lost to the USA team 1-0. I bet Texas State would have given Texas fits.

I could hand pick a number of Houston, A&M, and Texas State (plus one SAM Houston catcher) players that should have been at UT and would have made Texas a CWS team.

Really? I would hope a hand picked team of three or four division 1 teams (3 of who made the NCAA tournament) would be able to make it to OKC. Not really a bold statement. Believe it or not some kids don't want to go to Texas. Just because they are good players doesn't mean it is a fit. I am sure Texas would have made the WCWS a couple of times if Whitney Cannion had chose Texas over Baylor, and that is just one player added to the current roster and not an all star team of kids at 4 D1 schools.

By the way the lowballing of local players happens all over the country. Florida has the Hope Scholarships, so state schools in Florida can get Florida kids at half or free and use their athletic money on kids from out of state, I believe Georgia has a similar scholarship program. As far as the amount of the scholarships, you think A&M is not getting kids to come there for books or 10-15% scholaships? Please....they have 12 or 13 kids that are already committed from 2014-2016, plus the 4 or 5 from the 2013 class, can't all be going on full rides. Especially considering the number of kids that committed as freshman and sophomores, they hadn't even taken SATs let alone had the grades to project an academic offer.
MavFan

by just4fun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:33 pm

MavFan wrote:
By the way the lowballing of local players happens all over the country. Florida has the Hope Scholarships, so state schools in Florida can get Florida kids at half or free and use their athletic money on kids from out of state, I believe Georgia has a similar scholarship program. As far as the amount of the scholarships, you think A&M is not getting kids to come there for books or 10-15% scholaships? Please....they have 12 or 13 kids that are already committed from 2014-2016, plus the 4 or 5 from the 2013 class, can't all be going on full rides. Especially considering the number of kids that committed as freshman and sophomores, they hadn't even taken SATs let alone had the grades to project an academic offer.

Makes you wonder what Evans is up to. Promising girls that they will play, and some don't even know if they can get accepted to, or afford, the school, much less if they actually will develop into SEC ballplayers.
just4fun

by softballdaddi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:23 am

justawatcher wrote:Actually it was the super regional they hosted that they didn't get out of. You must be thinking of Tim Walton (and bringing up the "situation" will only further my point, so please don't). You think they should can him too? How about Ehren Earleywine? He lost the supers he hosted also. Not sure Lexy Bennett, Taylor Hoagland, Nadia Taylor, among others would agree that UT can't recruit hitters.

I'm not arguing that UT doesn't deserve harsh criticism, but come on. They are a top 10 program that makes the tournament every year and got booted by one of the best teams in the country last season in the super. I'm not saying that cuts it for UT fans, but I don't see those results getting Clark the axe.

Come on Connie cannot get it done when it counts. Her preseason schedule is similar to MB, full of creampuffs. Come tournament time, people wonder why she can't make to OKC? She has great pitchers, Cat and Luna, but it is her offense that let's her down. She should make regular trips to OKC, not once every ten years. She can recruits and gets any player she wants, but she cannot get it done when she has them.
softballdaddi

by justawatcher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:40 am

softballdaddi wrote:
justawatcher wrote:Actually it was the super regional they hosted that they didn't get out of. You must be thinking of Tim Walton (and bringing up the "situation" will only further my point, so please don't). You think they should can him too? How about Ehren Earleywine? He lost the supers he hosted also. Not sure Lexy Bennett, Taylor Hoagland, Nadia Taylor, among others would agree that UT can't recruit hitters.

I'm not arguing that UT doesn't deserve harsh criticism, but come on. They are a top 10 program that makes the tournament every year and got booted by one of the best teams in the country last season in the super. I'm not saying that cuts it for UT fans, but I don't see those results getting Clark the axe.

Come on Connie cannot get it done when it counts. Her preseason schedule is similar to MB, full of creampuffs. Come tournament time, people wonder why she can't make to OKC? She has great pitchers, Cat and Luna, but it is her offense that let's her down. She should make regular trips to OKC, not once every ten years. She can recruits and gets any player she wants, but she cannot get it done when she has them.

Who doesn't have a "creampuff" preseason schedule?

Clark arrived at UT in what? 96? She has taken a team to OKC 4 times. The only coach in the conference who has done that is Gasso.
justawatcher

by softballdaddi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 am

justawatcher wrote:Who doesn't have a "creampuff" preseason schedule?

Clark arrived at UT in what? 96? She has taken a team to OKC 4 times. The only coach in the conference who has done that is Gasso.

4 times in 17 years or every 4 years, doesn't cut it with the money, talent available for her program. When was the last time she went to OKC, been so long I can't even remember..... :)
softballdaddi

by MavFan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 am

softballdaddi wrote:

4 times in 17 years or every 4 years, doesn't cut it with the money, talent available for her program. When was the last time she went to OKC, been so long I can't even remember..... :)

There was a time when Texas and Texas A&M were the only games in town and could get any of the top talent in Texas. But now, more and more teams that come in here and take the talent. Teams like Houston, Baylor, LSU, Alabama are taking some of the best players and going to the NCAAs and WCWS. Schools in the SEC and Big 10 are throwing millions into their softball stadiums.

I am not overly impressed with Coach Clark, as a coach, but as a person she is one of the best. But I think you are naive if you think that just because it's Texas, that they should win. Lots of schools have money and talent.
MavFan

by justawatcher » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 am

softballdaddi wrote:

Again, not arguing the criticism. However, if you take Gasso out of the conversation, Clark has made more WCWS appearances than all of the other current Big XII coaches at their respective posts combined.

How many times in 17 years should a school make the WCWS with the money and talent that UT has available to them?
justawatcher

by softballdaddi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:10 pm

justawatcher wrote:
softballdaddi wrote:

Again, not arguing the criticism. However, if you take Gasso out of the conversation, Clark has made more WCWS appearances than all of the other current Big XII coaches at their respective posts combined.

How many times in 17 years should a school make the WCWS with the money and talent that UT has available to them?

17 :o Has not been since Cat left and 3 of the four were with Cat. 1998, 2003, 2005, 2006, Been 6 years since the last trip. Very long drought, don't think she can take them back considering the current softball landscape. She was at the right place and at the right time, when she got hired.
and by the way I am nice guy. I can take C.C.'s headcoaching position and would probably have the same record. Did I mention I just watch softball and never coached it. :D
softballdaddi

PreviousNext

Return to TX