Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

Southlake...at approx 6:50 am, Really

by TexasYellowBall » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:07 am

Last year right after most teams completed game 1 of 5, the clouds opened up and it rained more in a 15-20 minute time spane then I have every seen it before. Most teams either ran to their cars or ran to the covered area by the restrooms. The fields were flooded with water as expected with as every field had several inches of standing water on the infield and outfield (with more rain in the forecast). Now with all that said, the tournament directors refused to cancel the tournament. I at this time was standing next to the big dogs in charge as they spoke about waiting 4-5 hours to try to get every team an minimum amount of games. With the amount of water on the fields, they were not playable for a week, even in the Texas sun.

This morning, our team arrived at the field for an 8am game. Still dark outside, we were told that all games were pushed back to 9am. We, along with other parents and coaches asked why. We were all told that the rain last night flooded the fields. A group of coaches at this time walked into the complex to look at the fields. The fields showed very little signs of water. Many coaches and parents walked on the fields and they did not slip, slide, or even cause a shoe print on the field. Not one person walked off the field with muddy, clay stained shoes. The fields were wet and in low spots there were wetter areas but not puddles.

At Approx. 6:50 AM they canceled the tournament. At Approx. 6:50 AM they canceled the tournament.

Ok. it was Sunday, and some teams travel but to cancel the tournament so fast and at approx. 6:50 am was crazy. Wait a little bit longer or adjust the game lengths from 2 hours to 75 minutes. Coaches, players, parents, and College coaches can adapt and adjust to a little rain.

This tournament is always great. On Saturday it was great. Whether it was just to easy to cancel because teams got in a minimum amount of games or someother reason ( it was not solely due to the rain), parents and coaches deserved more from the hosting organization. This organization should have been just as determined to continue the tournament this year when game minimums were met, as they worked last year when minimums were not met.
TexasYellowBall

by nonlooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Where were all those Batbuster teams working the fields?
nonlooker

by frito_burrito » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:33 pm

all of the checks had cleared so they were laying in there bed.
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

by nonlooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:35 pm

frito_burrito wrote:all of the checks had cleared so they were laying in there bed.

Don't think so frito since all the proceeds go to charity. Sounds to me like someone just got lazy.
nonlooker

by frito_burrito » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:00 pm

nonlooker wrote:
frito_burrito wrote:all of the checks had cleared so they were laying in there bed.

Don't think so frito since all the proceeds go to charity.

oh so its like a little ronald mcdonald. :roll:
THIS ES FRITO BURRITO AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
frito_burrito
Premium Member
Premium Member

by taking2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:48 am

The city of southlake controls the fields...I like to bash the batbusters as much as the next guy but in this case it is not their fault.

Blame the city that won't pay OT to their lazy maintenance dept for weekend work.
taking2

by taking2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:29 am

Sorry longbat...I must have hit close to home. There is no need for name calling. I didn't mean to be critical of you or your department.

You can go back to drinking your coffee and sitting on your can. Oh yeah...when you are done why don't you get someone out to Bob Jones and get the fields ready for the tournament this weekend; which will be called off on Thursday after it rains...since you and your dept will not work them on OT.
taking2

by fastpitchparent1977 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 am

Southlake tournaments are hard to play. The city is VERY strict about playing. If they get any rain it is a big production. Do not blame the hosting teams, the city controls the fields and they are riduculous. Field 4 has a cliff drop off in the outfield and field 5 is so deep it is impossible for outfielders to cover. The city should corrcet the problem fields and stop worrying about a little rain.
fastpitchparent1977

Return to TX