Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

TX

New Braunfels - Coach gets tossed, team has to forfeit????

by 375_comp __47_core » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 am

To suggest that the Eights are some kind of chump team due to the loss of a couple of players is an insult to the kids still on that team. The 93 Bombers is a tough group and not many teams wanted to play against them last year. Yes they are weakened due to the loss of a couple of key players...but I promise you nobody wants to draw a first bracket game against them when they are fresh. On this occassion it was late on a Sunday and softball late on Sundays can resemble something totally different than the day before when your pitching ranks are thin....been there done that.

Even though their pitching may have been out of gas their batters are still tough outs, they run the bases aggressivley and they play solid "D" in the field. Yeah they haven't had the outings lately that they had early in the season...but give the girls still playing some credit. Every team would love to be stacked with 12 outstanding players...but that aint the case for many if any here in Central Texas...every team has its weak spots and weak tourneys due to key players missing from time to time. So a little less chatter about the kids missing and a little more credit to the ones that are there.
375_comp __47_core

by SeeYouSoon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:48 pm

I never called the 93 bombers a chump team. Those girls play ball and give it thier best. They have been a very good team in our area. But other than some local success they dont have the over all success in the big events as some of the other teams from our area. With the Gator Girls out of the picture the 93 Bombers should emerge as the top team in our area (not including the Austin area). But could very well fall behind the 94 Bombers (who have looked solid this spring), Corps Thompson, or Hitt 14 u. But I deffinately dont see them having the success as the 92 Stars, 92 Bombers, or 93 Gators have had in reacent years. Hope they prove me wrong. This area really needs a team to step up and make some noise like the previousely mentioned did over the last couple of years.
SeeYouSoon

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am

Interesting thread.

I too blame the umpires. They are obviously of a poisonous mindset that many umpires have.. "Do everything you can to keep them in the game." It is not important to keep someone in the game that is acting this way.

I can assure this coach of some things, just in case we ever run into each other at nationals or somewhere.. first I do hustle and work hard.. thats my part. For your part, you will get one warning from me to chill out, then you will be finding your favorite rock in the parking lot to sit on. I dont tolerate this stuff from coaches. His replacement would have been gone before he got the words "Ahh come on blue" out of his mouth.

This stuff is usually found at the lower levels of ball such as 12U/14U. The upper level/class coaches are much tougher to deal with because they know how to do it and not get tossed; most dont throw tantrums and know how to pick their battles. This coach would not have been allowed to cause me even the slightest amount of stress.

The reality is this coach should have been dumped long before it got this far. The girls were robbed of a chance to play by poor game management by the officials. Umpires should not allow a coach to do this to the game.

So I'm with the coach on this one. It was the umpires fault.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:30 am

heybucket wrote:Ok people there is no reason to delete this thread. But enough is enough Thank you to the Bombers coach for using this board to apologize for his behavior on the field. And to travel ball get over it. Next tournament please

Or in the alternative, it could be moved to Fastpitch Discussion.
This is a great thread hidden away in Texas land. This situation could be used in clinics to teach umpires how to properly manage these situations so that a game can be finished. Many umpires allow coaches to go "on and on and on" or you hear "that coach was all over me the whole game"..

Well.. thats the umpires fault. It can be managed. Manage it early and put a stop to it.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by STE08 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:52 pm

WELL WE JUST FINISHED UP A ONE DAY FRIENDLY IN KENNEDY W/ OUR 94 STE(BLUE) TEAM AND WE WERE IN AN ELIMINATION GAME LAST NIGHT W/ THE LADY TEXANS TO GET INTO THE C-SHIP......................NEVER MADE IT THOUGH, THE FIELD BLUE MADE A CALL ON A STEAL FROM ONE OF MY GIRLS AT 2ND, HE MADE THE CALL SAFE, WAITED 35-35 SECONDS, MEANWHILE I(GREG) AM CALLING TIME FROM 3RD BECAUSE MY GIRL IS ON THE GROUND W/ HER FOOT ON THE BAG AND THE SS STILL APPLYING THE TAG, SHE IS ALSO CALLING TIME, BUT IS NEVER GRANTED. SO LIKE I SAID 35-45 SECS GO BY HE RUNS OVER TO THE BAG EXAMINES THE PLAY AND SAYS HE HAS MADE A MISTAKE AND THE RUNNER IS OUT, WAS OFF THE BAG THE BY AN INCH-HIS EXACT WORDS.......................AND WE ARE IN THE 6TH INNING WITH A 2-2 BALL GAME. OK SO I CALL TIME AND APPROACH THE THE FIELD BLUE AND ASK FOR AN EXPLANATION AS TO WHY HE HAD WAITED SO MUCH, NOT GRANTED TIME AND AT THE END OF IT ALL HE REVERSES HIS CALL. HE YELLS AT ME AND MY 1ST BASE COACH TO GET BACK TO OUR BOXES WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION, AT WHICH TIME I TOLD HIM I WANTED AN EXPLANATION, HE THEN TOSSES ME FROM THE GAME FOR REFUSING TO GO TO MY BOX, THEN HAS OUR TEAM FORFEIT...WE HAD NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS BEFORE THAT, I THINK HE WAS OUTTA LINE AND COULD HAVE HANDLED IT BETTER.......UMPIRE WAS FROM GOLIAD AND HIS NAME WAS TOM, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO HIS UIC IS TO REPORT!!!I CAN JUST IMAGINE WHAT SCOTT WENT THROUGH..
STE08

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:42 pm

STE08 wrote:WELL WE JUST FINISHED UP A ONE DAY FRIENDLY IN KENNEDY W/ OUR 94 STE(BLUE) TEAM AND WE WERE IN AN ELIMINATION GAME LAST NIGHT W/ THE LADY TEXANS TO GET INTO THE C-SHIP......................NEVER MADE IT THOUGH, THE FIELD BLUE MADE A CALL ON A STEAL FROM ONE OF MY GIRLS AT 2ND, HE MADE THE CALL SAFE, WAITED 35-35 SECONDS, MEANWHILE I(GREG) AM CALLING TIME FROM 3RD BECAUSE MY GIRL IS ON THE GROUND W/ HER FOOT ON THE BAG AND THE SS STILL APPLYING THE TAG, SHE IS ALSO CALLING TIME, BUT IS NEVER GRANTED. SO LIKE I SAID 35-45 SECS GO BY HE RUNS OVER TO THE BAG EXAMINES THE PLAY AND SAYS HE HAS MADE A MISTAKE AND THE RUNNER IS OUT, WAS OFF THE BAG THE BY AN INCH-HIS EXACT WORDS.......................AND WE ARE IN THE 6TH INNING WITH A 2-2 BALL GAME. OK SO I CALL TIME AND APPROACH THE THE FIELD BLUE AND ASK FOR AN EXPLANATION AS TO WHY HE HAD WAITED SO MUCH, NOT GRANTED TIME AND AT THE END OF IT ALL HE REVERSES HIS CALL. HE YELLS AT ME AND MY 1ST BASE COACH TO GET BACK TO OUR BOXES WITHOUT AN EXPLANATION, AT WHICH TIME I TOLD HIM I WANTED AN EXPLANATION, HE THEN TOSSES ME FROM THE GAME FOR REFUSING TO GO TO MY BOX, THEN HAS OUR TEAM FORFEIT...WE HAD NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS BEFORE THAT, I THINK HE WAS OUTTA LINE AND COULD HAVE HANDLED IT BETTER.......UMPIRE WAS FROM GOLIAD AND HIS NAME WAS TOM, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO HIS UIC IS TO REPORT!!!I CAN JUST IMAGINE WHAT SCOTT WENT THROUGH..

That is one helluva sentence! It's difficult to decipher your yelling run on rampage, but why did an umpire have to tell your Asst Coach to get back in his box?

I hope and would guess that there is more to this story than you presented here.

You know, your 1B coach has a couple of purposes of existence aside from breathing up unused air...

First, and most importantly, he needs to be making sure his beloved DD plays infield somewhere. Thats a very important job for an assistant coach. In his spare time from that job, he can hit some fly balls or warm up a pitcher while the catcher is struggling with her leg guards. He can offer sage advice to batters like "swing if its there". If he doesnt forget, he can yell "get back, get back!" to a runner on a fly ball. He is also allowed to make little pictures in the dirt with his cleats. He can spit sunflower seeds. He can yell "get the bat" to the oncoming on-deck batter... or fetch it himself. He can keep stuff in his fanny pack. He can wear a cool straw hat. He can High-Five a batter who just walked.

What he cannot do is discuss a call with an umpire. Thats beyond his scope of existence.

Did you two team up on the umpire? Teaming up on the umpire means you both get shut down immediately and the discussion is over. If you two went nutso as a tag team on the umpire.. well you were asking for it. Tell your Asst coach to get back in his little preordained area so the umpire doesnt have too, and you can have a PROFESSIONAL discussion with the umpire. You might even get the time of day by doing so.

Now I'm not sure forfeiting was the best thing (sounds to me like there is many things out of control in Tx, not just you coaches)... forfeiting is not something I want to do over a coach.

Once you are ejected, you can't refuse to leave or demand an explanation. Did you do that? If you continued after youre officially done... Well you asked for it. You dont get squat except 1 minute to exit the grounds after an ejection. You might can work in a few parting shots, but you better be heading out to your favorite tree in the parking lot while doing so. Refusing to leave is a forfeit by rule.

Also, if you "talk" like you type.. ie yell non stop.. I would imagine you caused this pretty much on your own.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by slapper » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 pm

That is one helluva sentence! It's difficult to decipher your yelling run on rampage, but why did an umpire have to tell your Asst Coach to get back in his box?

I hope and would guess that there is more to this story than you presented here.

You know, your 1B coach has a couple of purposes of existence aside from breathing up unused air...

First, and most importantly, he needs to be making sure his beloved DD plays infield somewhere. Thats a very important job for an assistant coach. In his spare time from that job, he can hit some fly balls or warm up a pitcher while the catcher is struggling with her leg guards. He can offer sage advice to batters like "swing if its there". If he doesnt forget, he can yell "get back, get back!" to a runner on a fly ball. He is also allowed to make little pictures in the dirt with his cleats. He can spit sunflower seeds. He can yell "get the bat" to the oncoming on-deck batter... or fetch it himself. He can keep stuff in his fanny pack. He can wear a cool straw hat. He can High-Five a batter who just walked.

What he cannot do is discuss a call with an umpire. Thats beyond his scope of existence.

Did you two team up on the umpire? Teaming up on the umpire means you both get shut down immediately and the discussion is over. If you two went nutso as a tag team on the umpire.. well you were asking for it. Tell your Asst coach to get back in his little preordained area so the umpire doesnt have too, and you can have a PROFESSIONAL discussion with the umpire. You might even get the time of day by doing so.

Now I'm not sure forfeiting was the best thing (sounds to me like there is many things out of control in Tx, not just you coaches)... forfeiting is not something I want to do over a coach.

Once you are ejected, you can't refuse to leave or demand an explanation. Did you do that? If you continued after youre officially done... Well you asked for it. You dont get squat except 1 minute to exit the grounds after an ejection. You might can work in a few parting shots, but you better be heading out to your favorite tree in the parking lot while doing so. Refusing to leave is a forfeit by rule.

Also, if you "talk" like you type.. ie yell non stop.. I would imagine you caused this pretty much on your own.[/quote]

Wow! A smart AZZ umpire with a chip on his sholder. I almost never see that in Central TX.
slapper

by STE08 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Well wadeintothem, sorry that I do not please you with my typing and all that fancy stuff. I just wanted to get my story out. Nobody probably cares, but I think I am entitled to that on this site whether you are pleased or not. I hope you are pleased with my typing this time, because it is time consuming to be real proper like you. I would hate to be in your English or Typing class. Get over it man, however I get my story out is my business, so unless you have something to say that is related to my subject-don't go on about typing mistakes. Also, FYI that was all the story and my 1st base coach did not approach until this hothead had tossed me if you need to know. You umpires get paid to umpire the game not to be hot heads(trigger happy)and see who chunks more people. This umpire tossed 7 people(coaches and fans) in a one day friendly,NUFF SAID! SORRY FOR NOT USING 2 PARAGRAPHS, BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING!!

Greg Flores-Manager
STE08(ALICE)14U
STE08

by wadeintothem » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm

STE08 wrote:Well wadeintothem, sorry that I do not please you with my typing and all that fancy stuff. I just wanted to get my story out. Nobody probably cares, but I think I am entitled to that on this site whether you are pleased or not. I hope you are pleased with my typing this time, because it is time consuming to be real proper like you. I would hate to be in your English or Typing class. Get over it man, however I get my story out is my business, so unless you have something to say that is related to my subject-don't go on about typing mistakes. Also, FYI that was all the story and my 1st base coach did not approach until this hothead had tossed me if you need to know. You umpires get paid to umpire the game not to be hot heads(trigger happy)and see who chunks more people. This umpire tossed 7 people(coaches and fans) in a one day friendly,NUFF SAID! SORRY FOR NOT USING 2 PARAGRAPHS, BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING!!

Greg Flores-Manager
STE08(ALICE)14U

Well if he is a hot head umpire just tossing people and forfeiting games, then that is too bad. I would say 7 coaches in a JO friendly is a little much, no matter the reputation that is being put out about Texas Coaches, Tournies, and Umpires. Hopefully you guys contact the UIC to make sure they are at least aware. 1 coach saying something probably would not mean much to a UIC, but if many let them know, perhaps some training for this guy can be done or he can go away.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DonnieS » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:09 pm

>> This umpire tossed 7 people(coaches and fans) in a one day friendly<<

Greg, there was an escaped Nazi named Tom (anglo guy, crew cut hair cut, late 50's ex-military (obviously) ) that impersonated umpires over in the Corpus area 4 or 5 years ago. The last time he worked in our area, he ejected a girl (10u rec) for taking her helmet off before completely entering the dugout, she was in the door way, waiting for someone to move out of her way. She was in the line of fire, so possibly 40 lashes were due, but this pos ejected her. I hope he didnt move up to that area.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to TX