o

by artomatic » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 am

Aaaaand...boom goes the dynamite.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:26 am

It's like passing a wreck on the road, I don't want to look, but I can't help myself.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by jwrunner » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:42 am

:D It's just crazy how easy she is to manipulate. No clue it's happening. You can just see her sitting in her dark room, sitting behind the keyboard, just seething as she types. Desperately hoping that her dazzling intellect will give her the virtual mic drop she yearns for. Entertaining stuff.
jwrunner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nun40 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:37 am

Cindy Bristow founder of Softball Excellence located in Tampa Fl, sells a 4 book package on 1) Softball Strategies
2) Softball Pitching 3) softball practices 4) team chemistry

About Cindy Bristow:
Player
•Pitched and played 1st base collegiately at Cal Poly Pomona where she played for NFCA & ASA Hall of Famer, Carol Spanks
•Played professionally for the Santa Ana Lionettes

Coach
•Assistant Coach at Arizona State
•Head Coach at New Mexico State
•Head Coach at Wichita State
•Head Coach and Assistant General Manager of the Georgia Pride who later became the Florida Wahoos in the Women's Professional Softball League

Leader
•President of the National Softball Coaches Association
•National Director of Junior Olympic Softball for the Amateur Softball Association
•Director of National Teams and Coaching Development for USA Softball
•Director of Development for the International Softball Federation (ISF) - the world governing body for the sport of softball, including the Olympics

Educator
•Authored 8 softball instructional books
•Produced 14 instructional video tapes on Softball
•Featured speaker at hundreds of softball clinics both in the US and abroad
•Organized and Leader of numerous softball clinics
•Cindy is also a color analyst for ESPN's college softball coverage

Accomplishment
•Inducted into the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame
•Helped guide the selection of the US's first-ever Olympic Softball team that won a Gold Medal in the 1996 Olympic Games.
•Coordinated the Greek Olympic Softball Team's creation and first-ever appearance in an Olympic Games
•Has worked with 3 different Olympic Softball Teams; USA, Greek and Chinese
•Led the Florida Wahoos to a WPSL championship
•Awarded WPSL Coach of the Year
•Traveled the world to help increase the level of softball coaching and play on a global level while working with the ISF's 125+ member countries

on inquiring her about the possibility of a clinic here in Indianapolis I also asked her about the method that jwrunner has become such a great expert on and this is what she said:
I'm always Leary of anyone who tries to own pitching by making their method seem more important than the actual end product, which is pitching with your maximum speed, movement and control. There arent that many different things you can do as a pitcher to make it so unique that you've got to give your pitching method a special name..

Now Softball Excellence advertises Video Analysis that you can send in and done by Cindy for $70
I suggest that jwrunner do this $70 video analysis that Cindy Bristow and get your DD mechanics analyzed by one of the top coaches in the Nation, highly endorsed by such great coaches like Patrick Murphy, Head Coach of Alabama.
It is an honor to have someone like C77fastpitch to take to time to post on Hay Bucket her philosophy of pitching in fastpitch softball. Thank you very much C77fastpitch for the contribution to Hey Bucket for your very well written posts.
Nun40

by jtat32 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:21 am

The absolute stupidest sh*t I've ever heard/read about coaching softball was on Softball Excellence. I haven't read a lot on that site (since what I did read was so bad), so maybe it's just sampling error, but from my limited experience, that has to be the worst site with the worst advice that I've come across.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 am

While I'm at it - please understand that understand that anyone reading this thread will clearly see that jwr has provided the only substantive input into this discussion, regardless of whether they agree with his statements, or not. Until anyone else posts a well-reasoned argument against what he said, they are, by default, his b*&%h.

Provide a cogent argument, or find out how he likes his sandwiches.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jwrunner » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 am

I truly was looking for a discussion here. And so I apologize to the board for my last post. I resorted to the same type of attack that I would normally criticize other online participants for. It was a quick emotional response rather than a thoughtful one.

C77 - apologies to you for my last post as well - it was too easy to simply take a shot at you and it was juvenile. But at no time in any of my posts did I put myself forward as an expert in pitching. Re-read my original long post and you will find I used some form of the word "believe" 13 times. No claim of being an expert on the topic. What my education and experience has made me an expert in is understanding complex topics (far more complex than pitching), separating real data from opinion, evaluating evidence and coming to a conclusion. As more evidence presents itself, that evaluation necessarily might morph over time. I engaged you because it's clear you do have valuable experience and opinion that I was looking to add to that evaluation. But my hope was for actual substantive counterpoints that test my hypotheses. Change my mind - don't just give me your resume. Because, like it or not, there is debate and disagreement on pitching mechanics. When names like Hillhouse, Finch, Balswick, and Pauley still have disagreement even though they agree on much of the content, then clearly there is not consensus. Coaches like Amanda Scarborough realize that and actually adjust the teaching over time. They don't simply parrot what they were taught. They constantly question. I want to know what you believe and why - you're the one who was crying out for discussion. I'm not sure what more I could do to attempt conversation.

Below are two quotes from consecutive responses that you made to me on this string:

"For someone that has never coached or played softball, you seem to be well read and somewhat knowledgeable about the game, and that takes hard work, good for you!"

And just one post later:

"I calculated your wisdom by your statements, and there wasn't lot of knowledge there. I don't mean to sound mean, but I will not say something I don't believe."

The change in between was that I pointed out that the language of your post made assumptions about me without basis in fact. I hesitated to post the quote comparison because I don't want to have you simply respond in anger. You asked for conversation and opinion and I truly wanted to hear yours, but conversation is a two way street. I certainly could have stepped more carefully so as not to antagonize you. Reading back over my own posts, there are certainly moments of passive aggressive in there. But on your end of it, you have to be willing to be disagreed with in a "discussion" or it won't last long.

Again - apologies if I appeared antagonistic. Aside from my one juvenile reponse, that was never the intent. I hope we can have civil conversations in the future
jwrunner
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jwrunner » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Can't disagree with any of that in terms of commonality. Can only tell from personal experience that Hillhouse and the Tincher coach we have seen have more in common than not. And while I agree that certification is not needed, it does provide a means of vetting for parents if they don't want to do the work that I might want to. I didn't choose based on certification but could envision it useful for someone else to know they follow the principals of a well know coach.
jwrunner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to IN