Indiana H.S. playoffs

by LeftyHitter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 am

On a different board a week ago I predicted:

1A - North Miami
2A - Bremen
3A - Leo
4A - Penn
(not that my predictions mean anything)

As you can see, I guessed all northern schools since I know much less about the southern teams. At least they all made it to Semi-State. My feel is Center Groove comes out of the 4A South and it is a true coin flip who wins it all, just went with my heart and picked Penn. I respect Slappers knowlege of the teams down there, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's Floyd Central instead. North Miami and Leo are defending champs looking to repeat and look very capable to do so. Bremen has played very well and played and beat some of the bigger schools in the area. At this point, it just takes a pitcher to get hot to make it the rest of the way and all of the teams have one that is capable.

Wasn't overly suprised that Lake Central beat Crown Point after seeing CP beat LaPorte in their sectional final. The CP pitching is top notch, but the offense can't consistently score runs and you can't expect any pitcher to shut out every oppenent. It cost them with a 2-1 loss.
LeftyHitter

by Dark Angel Coach » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 am

I'm not very good at this either, but here it goes!

1A--Lutheran - tough schedule, and peaking at the right time!
2A-Elwood- their losses were at the hands of some very solid teams!
3A- Leo

4A- Going with my heart a little, I've coached or instructed 10 girls on this team, and they are peaking in every phase of the game. Their schedule was as tough as it gets.
They hit all through the lineup!
Lake Centrals Pitcher is very good, but I think they find a way to put enough runs on the board!
And Coach Ramsey uses 3 Pitcher's and they're all throwing well!
I think the final will be Noblesville vs Center Grove.

Sorry for being a Homer on my 4A pick! :D
Dark Angel Coach

by LeftyHitter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 pm

I certainly can't fault you for being a homer DA, since I did the same. :lol: Noblesville is certainly battle tested and HSE had a simlar lineup and record last year in argueably a tougher Semi-State field and rode it to the State Finals. Only Homestead would suprise me in winning the Harrison Semi-State and that's only because I haven't seen or heard much about them at all. Huntington North and Erin Rethlake dominated that area of the state the last few years. Penn is solid 1-9 in the lineup and has good to great pitching. Lake Central has played a very tough schedule and split with Penn so far (and of course eliminated Crown Point). Should be a great day of softball tomorrow. I'm just sorry I can't go to any of the games...
LeftyHitter

by slapperdad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 am

OK, only four games to screw up this weekend, who ya got?

Hauser V Carroll
North Central V Boone Grove
Gibson Southern V Leo
Center Grove V Lake Central

I'm not making any predictions, I'd love to see Hauser do it, Craig has worked his butt off, and went thru some tough times to build that program.

I'd like to see Center Grove win, just so my prediction of "you will have to be FC to win the title". I think it will be a great game Sherman's squad beat some very good teams to get there, as did CG.

I really don't know anything about the other four teams, Boone Grove is our former Women's BB coach's alma mater.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by LeftyHitter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 am

Hey Slapper, I know you are on the ICGSA committee, so can you say why the All-State and All-Star teams are announced so late? The voting took place almost a month ago. Would make sense to me that the All-State team be announced after Sectional week and the All-Stars before the state finals. I know my DD was told the day of the voting, but was also told not to tell anyone for almost a month until it was announced back when she played with your DD. At this point, it seems to get lost in the summertime chaos and the girls don’t get the recognition they deserve. Just wondering if there is reasoning behind it. By the time it is released, it tends to be a badly kept secret as well.
LeftyHitter

by slapperdad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am

Great question Lefty, I wish I had an answer. The only thing I know is it was at the request of a former committee chair. I'm sure he had a reason, though I have no idea why. I believe the committee is all in agreement that it needs to change, it's on the agenda when we meet next.

FYI, coaches may tell their players, and they may recognize them as well. I don't think anyone's sworn to secrecy. The teams are not released until after the finals. I know some coaches tweeted about their players the evening of the vote.

FYI, I'd like to see it announced around sectional time. Like maybe Friday of sectional week. Most of them will be over by that point, but high school Softball is still at the fore at that point. Other than the finalist, high school season is but a distant memory at this point. I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts as well.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by slapperdad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Lefty, long story short, there was a "glitch" in the system this year. The release was delayed. It will be posted on the ICGSA website this afternoon or early evening. On behalf of the ICGSA I apologize for the delay, but I can assure you it was for the best of the athletes we represent.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

Previous

Return to IN