Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

o

by slapperdad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 am

Books and videos......herein lies the problem. Money+time+comprehension=easier to pay someone else.

I think there's something to be said about one on one time with an instructor.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by softballfriendly » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:27 am

That is hillarious. What has changed is that kids today are developed more by a committee of instructors and parents. Players seem to work harder going to "good" instructors and therfore have a better tendency to improve their skills while adding to their agility. Perhaps what you are really saying is that you are tiring of the committment of your own player's develeopment and the added time it takes. Good instructors also can offer confidence thru repetition and corrections. Very good coaches/instructors offer players a chance to improve not only skills but also agility. With the right instructor, by the end of the session that player's tongue should be wagging and maybe mimicing an at bat or pitching as it is the 7th inning and 80+ degrees outside. Not sure books (which are good but not a substitute) offer those important duress moments. Lots of instructors, but usually the better players and their parents know who those are and those same who developed a good reputation over the years. Unfortuanely for all of high school sports (and not just softball), the turnover of players and instrutors is about 100% every 6-7 years and there is alot of naitivity out there and many who claim to be instructors are taken for face value. Its really hard to find the good instructors and likewise parents/athletes who make a "year long" committment to go to those insructors.

Still drifting here, I find it also interesting how parents throw out the word "player burn out" when it is really "parent burn out" Parents maybe more often have mentally checked out sooner that their own child/player. But interestingly, the excuse gets deferred to the player.

It all comes back to "goals" of the athlete and what level of satisfaction they wish to achieve. Some goals are to make the high school team, some could aspire to be a varsity player early and a viewed difference maker on a high school team, some further aspire to include playing in college. It all comes back to goals...which should be determined initially, and then the blue print of development is applied to get to that desired level. But books alone will most likely get one to be a good player on a rec team. ...which could possibly be the original goal.

All submitted with respectful intentions.
softballfriendly

by Kidcanhit02 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:36 pm

So, if I buy a $35 Patrick Murphy hitting video I now possess Patrick’s skillset in coaching hitting?

Maybe if I buy every Mike Candrea instructional video I will have the necesary credentials to coach at the collegiate level.

I am not a private instructor. I have watched hours upon hours of online instruction information. I have watched thousands of players hit. I can tell you that the online education and wealth of experience I have gained through years of being a coach will NEVER replace the bond between my daughter and her private instructors.

Maybe you are the dad of the year and the smartest person in the world. Maybe your daughter hangs on you EVERY word. You simply need to watch a video and then effortlessly pass that information on to your daughter and she is magically the next Crystal Bustos. Congrats on that.

In my (or the REAL) world, daughters don't always care to hear everything dad has to say. They cannot process everything being taught in a video and translate it imediately into practice. Maybe the girls have the new fangled digital gadgets attached to their bat to evaluate their swing but are still physically unable to replicate the swing for which their iphone is looking. In the real world there is no replacement for having the right TRAINED and EXPERIENCED instructor making the subtle corrections required.

If technology is all that is required why are there hitting and pitching coaches at EVERY college? Are these colleges just not as evolved as you? Certainly if they had your INCREDIBLE ability to tranlate a Youtube pitching video into a Monica Abbot 70mph fastball they could save money on the unnecessary instruction.

Hey, I have always wanted to own my own jet. There are surely online aerospace engineering videos. Maybe you wouldn't mind watching them and build me a jet and then fly it for me. That would certainly make my upcoming travel season a lot easier.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Kidcanhit02 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 pm

I promise you, C77, I know more about current online instruction and technology than you do. I am a self diagnosed softball geek and spend an unhealthy amount of time looking up drills, theory and plans. I have played with just about every gadget out there for softball and like many of the tools that are available.

Don't stop at personalized instruction, though. There are ample resources available on EVERY aspect of the game of softball. Let's just remove coaches entirely and let the players do it all themselves. I don't deny I have seen coaches at all levels that provided so little for their team that the girls might have been better off without them. However, no technology or online instruction will ever replace what competent instruction brings.

Either THE ENTIRE system is wrong or you are. I personally think you have been cursed with a lot of bad coaches and instructors. For that, I feel very bad.

My daughter (NOT ME) would not trade her hitting instructor for the internet or some gadget. She must just be old fashion like her dad. Then again she does like classic rock, Conway Twitty and lava lamps. She does hit the crap out of the ball, though, so maybe she is on the right track.

Let's find common ground. All that really matters is the result.

No two people will ever learn the exact same way. Personalized instruction does work for many kids and has as much merit as anything available on the internet. Also, yes, there are bad instructors and coaches out there. I won't deny that. However, I won't begrudge the great ones because of an internet video.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re:

by slapperdad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:Modern technology should fuel the instructional procedures used by coaches in every practice session! :geek:

I have given up verbal communication with my players and am tweeting all instruction during practices. This season we'll be accepting Bitcoin at our concession stand. Practices are broken down and critiqued, we send vine videos to the girls.

FYI, Conway Twitty WAS a singer, he died unexpectedly some years back witha heart attack. He did a great duet with Sam Moore. It was awesome, Sam's smooth old school R&B tenor pipes and Conway's rich baritone, classic country voice. They did a cover of Brooke Benton's classic Rainy Night in Georgia. While I love a good Conway Twitty reference as much as the next guy, what the hell does that have to do with the discussion?
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by slapperdad » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:02 pm

C77, that cuts me, cuts me to the bone. I thought you would agree with our high tech approach.

As far as Conway Twitty, I was never a fan. I would rather listen to someone dragging their finger nails down a chalk board as to listen to that twangy, I got tears in my ears cause I'm lying on my back crying over you, crap. I did like the duet with Sam Moore though. I spent a lot of time with my dad when I was a kid, he listened to country music, and as kids, me or my brothers would never dare change the station. I admit to listening to a bit of bubble gum as a kid, WAKY out of Louisville was the big station. As I entered into my preteens I got more into AOR. Anyone remember WNAP out of Indy, back in the mid 70's? Bruce Cochran used to spin disk before his TV news desk days. Every night at 11 they would play an entire album uninterrupted. I used to record a them on 8 track tapes, do you remember those? I think I still have a an 8 track player in the garage some where. I still have some 8 tracks as well, but I haven't tried to play any of them in years, I figure the tapes are trashed. Most of the good stuff was eventually replaced with vinyl anyway. I still have all of that as well. I do have an impressive vinyl collection. And believe it or not still listen to it occasionally. There's something to be said for listening to vinyl on a decent stereo with some decent speakers. The kids today are really missing out on that kind of stuff. Listening to compressed electronic files thru little 20 dollar earbuds just doesn't do the music justice. I played a lot of that stuff on the stereo for the kids when they were little, I wanted them to experience music the way it was intended. Sadly they turned out just like the rest of them, wondering around with those same 20 earbuds listening to compressed electronic files. But I feel better knowing they were taught better.

You know, come to think of it, maybe you are right. Maybe I am old school, maybe I don't embrace tech the way the kids do, but at the same time, it doesn't mean old school is not better. Because I guarantee you, the music sounds a lot better at my house, than it does at my kids dorms.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by slapperdad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:25 am

I am somewhat surprised. I had a couple of friends text me and tell me you'd never get the point of my post. I disagreed with them. I knew you'd get it, I all but told you the point. I'm disappointed C77, I obviously failed to spell it out, I'm sorry my bad. As to the your most recent post, I'll just insert, a lot of points to cover.

"How boring!!"
Ah, you're one of those "brevity is the soul of wit" types. I was at home most of the day with my wife, daughter, and a friend of my daughter's. I think we were somewhere in the middle of the fourth chick flick, I decided to go "in depth". I was hoping to provide a little entertainment for my fellow Heybucketiers, I obviously failed. I will try harder next time (or is it this time) somewhat of a paradox isn't it?

"The internet bombastic blow-hard disagrees with something I said!!!!"
Internet bombastic blow-hard? Based on the tone of the rest of your post, I'm assuming you don't mean that in a complimentary way. I'll get back to that. I didn't necessarily disagree with the notion that videos can be helpful, I myself bought one about ten years ago.

"The small town high school coach- business man dictates to all how to think!!"
Small town coach-business man.....you seem to know a lot about me. Are you stalking me? Have you hacked my webcam? Are you going to abduct my wife and hurt me? Should I contact the authorities? Perhaps DHS, FBI cyber division? Should I be nervous, this sounds eerily similar to one of the movies I was forced to watch yesterday. It scared my daughter so bad she locked the front door last night. I could not care less how anyone thinks, come to think of it, I prefer that everyone thinks for themselves. I can't tell you how many times I see things in everyday life, where I've scratched my head and asked to myself "what the hell were they thinking?" How many times have you asked that question? More times than not the answer is they couldn't have been thinking.

" You don't know one thing about fast-pitch softball!!"
I never claimed to. What's your affection for multiple exclamation marks?

"Did you ever play any sport, know-it-all,"
Yes

"I know you didn't play fastpitch softball!"
Wow, you're amazing Carnac, especially in light of the fact that I think I've posted several times that I didn't play Baseball after about the age of 12.

"You and your internet cronnies are midfit want-to-be's,"
What's a midfit, I couldn't even find a definition on Urban Dictionary. Internet cronies? What do we want to be?

"who think they can bully everybody from this websight."
Bullying is wrong, I've seen numerous videos posted on Facebook that say so. Where have I EVER bullied anyone, please post links. It's easy to make accusations, post the links, so EVERYONE can see them. I'm calling BS, you're making this shit up.

"I know more about fastpitch softball than you know about your own business,"
Congratulations, you know more than the guy who doesn't claim to know anything. If you'd like to post your address, I'll mail you a gold star, you know like the ones we use to get to put on our cubbie when we were in kindergarten. I never got very many myself, and of course my cubbbie was right next to Katrina Wingfield, she was the teacher's pet, her cubbie was covered with gold stars. She had these cat eye glasses, I thought she was hot when I was in kindergarten, she moved away in first grade, I wonder what ever happened to her, maybe I should see if I can find her on Facebook? I bet you had a bunch of gold stars too, come on don't be modest, someone who knows as much about fastpitch as you do, I know you had to have a lot of gold stars.

"so stay to something you know something about, country music and what-not!! ;)"
What is your fascination with country music.....and exclamation points? I will accept your winky, smiley face thing as an olive branch though. That's a nice touch, especially among adults.

"I know your an intelligent man, and your post are always well written."
Thank you so much, I'm sure my third grade teacher Mrs. Baughman who taught me everything I ever needed to know about grammar would be so proud. She was on Facebook and we were Facebook friends, but sadly she passed away about six months ago. I know she's smiling down on us right now, some complete stranger to me, who apparently knows a LOT about me, and is possibly stalking me made note of my well written posts.

"I will gladly debate any fastpitch softball issue with you,"
I think that point would be moot, you've already stated know more than me, I'll concede to your superior knowledge on all things fastpitch related.

"but do not like the way try to be-little anything you disagree with!!"
How about I belittle anything I deem stupid? It's a shame you didn't have Mrs Baughman for third grade English, I think we would have been friends. You could have helped me with my fastpitch and I could have helped you with your grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. Just a quick tip, when you over use exclamation points, they tend to lose their intended affect. Try more winky smiley faces.

" :idea: Ps"
I have no idea what this says, English, please to stick to the agree upon language we're going to converse in.

"Lets talk about real softball issues, and not who are the best hitting and pitching coaches, or whom has the best 12u travel team this year!!!"
I could be wrong, but I think you were one of the biggest ducks in puddle back in your 12U days, but congrats you've moved on. I'm proud of you.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by PDad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Thank you C77!!! Your efforts have resulted in some of the most entertaining posts on HB in recent memory - although mainly by slapperdad. I appreciated him breaking your post apart and responding to it piece by piece, because reading your posts as a whole makes my head hurt.

PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:34 pm

"Another Blow-off reply!!"
I don't understand, I feel like I go into a fair amount of detail in my replies to you and on the one hand you say I blow you off, and on the other hand you insinuate that I am too verbose. You are starting to act like my wife, I'm not sure how to make you happy.

"No, I don't know a thing about you, lucky guess!!"
Come on, don't sell yourself and your superior intellect short, I'm sure I posted most of this on here, so you can obviously read and comprehend, contrary to what most of us might suspect if we just read this thread.

"Don't want to know either!"
That's too bad, I think we'd be great friends, I'd love to get to know you and learn more about fastpitch, someone who clearly understands all the intricacies of the game the game such as yourself could clearly be of great value to me. If you're willing to help me out with your vast knowledge, I'd be happy to supply the beer. I'll even bring an extra red Solo cup for you. I love watching fastpitch, sipping on a cold beer, talking about how good my kid is, and yelling at the blues. I think the added benefit of having you there to educate me about the game itself would be awesome. Send me you schedule, we'll make a date.

"Your analysis of my writing doesn't bother me a bit"
That's awesome that you can take constructive criticism. It may surprise you to know that a lot of people don't. I did notice that you added a few smiley face things, so you are listening to my input, good for you. I still think you might want to lay off the exclamation points a little. We could also discuss grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure when we get together at a game as well. But I'll admit it's not very exciting conversation. But if you're up for it, I'd be more than happy to help any way I can.

"your nothing but a show-off!"
Lesson number one:
your is a possessive, i.e., I admire your fastpitch knowledge.
you're is a contraction of you are, i.e., You're a really smart guy.

"What do you mean you don't think you know everything about softball,"
Exactly what I said, why else would I have bought the video ten years ago? I may have bought some books too. I was at a clinic last month, I'm still going thru all my notes. I have another clinic next weekend, and I'm sure there will be even more notes. You won't mind if I bring a note pad when we get together do you? My memory ain't what it used to be, I have to write things down. I admire guys like you who know so much about fastpitch, perhaps you should make a video, if you did I would be the first in line to buy it. Not only that I'd incorporate in practice as well.

"listen to your own BS,"
Again your words cut me deep, BS? I put time and effort into these posts, and you dismiss them as BS. OK, in all fairness, I don't put much time or effort into them, reading some of the nonsense that gets posted here, my posts pretty much just write themselves, but I do take the time to actually type them. Actually typing them isn't that much effort either. I had Miss McKinley for typing my sophomore year. I was the teachers pet this time, I was only boy. Miss McKinley was a larger single gal, and I charmed her a little bit. At the risk of being a bit forward, I was a bit of charmer in high school. Would you believe I got a typing award at Honor Day my sophomore year. Miss McKinley believe it or not actually got married a few years back. I know, it shocked the hell out of me. We're still friendly when I see her around town. We say high to each other and reminisce about back when I was in her class. We're not Facebook friends though. I'll be honest, I think her husband is a little jealous of me.

"you think your the last word on everything!!"
I don't think anything, I know my wife is the last word on everything.

Mr smart, Mr clever, Mr Writer, Mr Softball, Mr Jerk!!!
I'm not familiar with Mr. Smart, Mr. Clever, Mr. Writer, Mr. Softball, or Mr. Jerk? Is that like that movie Reservoir Dogs where they all used code names, i.e., Mr. White, Mr. Black, Mr. Blue, Mr. Pink, etc.? See they didn't want to use their own names because they were robbing a bank and they wanted to hide their true identities. That's pretty smart don't you think? I bet if you were robbing a bank you'd think of that wouldn't you? Are those names you're assigning to posters on this site? I bet you'll be Mr. Softball won't you? I mean based on your vast knowledge an what not. I'll be Mr. Small town coach-businessman. Are we going rob a bank? Not a good option in my opinion, but given your superior intellect, I'll defer to whatever you want to do.

"Look at your long winded post, I didn't read half of it, it bored me to tears!"
You're right, I really need to put more effort into it. I'm going to go out on a limb here though and say, I bet the ones who get it aren't bored.

"Your friends, I bet thats a real mensa Meeting!!!"
It might surprise you to know that neither me nor none of my friends that I'm aware of are members of Mensa. If there were a Mensa of fastpitch, I bet you would be a charter member. Where would the meetings be? Perhaps I could get like an associate membership and be the secretary. I would take meeting notes and send the minutes to all of the members after the meeting was over. You've already commended my writing, I'm sure I could pull if off. I'm sure you would be the president, you could just make an executive decision to install me as secretary. You can tell from my earlier answer that I'm a good note taker.

"Your a coach aren't you, why don't you learn something about softball and you'll get a big gold star!"
Not to be critical, but see my earlier point about "your/you're". I don't really coach to get a big gold star. I do it for the money and fame. I get to talk on the radio, I get quoted in several local papers, and even been on TV a couple of times. My mom is so proud when she talks about seeing me quoted in the newspaper or she hears me on the radio. My mom's getting up there in years, it makes me feel good to know how proud she is of her son.

"Your the first high school, travel ball coach admit that he knows nothing!"
Your/you're, I hate to keep bringing this up, but I don't think you're getting it. And back to the reading and comprehension thing, I don't think I ever stated that I didn't now anything.

"Maybe someone else should coach your teams."
Perhaps, I need to keep you away from my AD, he seems to be pretty happy with what I'm doing. If you were to get together with him, and he were to find out how much you know and how little I know, I'm certain he would fire me on the spot and hire you.

"I ask you to debate me on real softball issues,"
What do you want to debate about? What pressing issues are facing the game of softball? Maybe you're national debate champion and you're going to make me look foolish? I'm not getting snookered into that, I think you're hustling me. Are you a hustler C77? Did you win a blue ribbon on your high school debate team?

"How do organize practice if you know so little about softball."
We split into smaller groups and do drills related to each group. Like maybe the pitchers and catchers would get together and throw some. Maybe the outfielders would get together and do drills that relate to playing the outfield, and infielders would be in a group and do drills that relate to playing the infield. We usually let everyone hit when we practice hitting. Sometimes we just skip all that and play dodgeball or kickball.

"I feel sorry for you,"
Ahhh, you're such a sweet person.

"maybe you should pay someone to run a clinic for you, so those kids on your teams have a chance to learn something!!"
You're absolutely right, you're obvious choice, what would you charge me to come and run a clinic for me?

"Ok blow off it's your turn! :idea:"
Lastly I'll leave you with a piece of advice I have often given my kids......when you're in a hole, quit digging.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

by slapperdad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:49 pm

FYI, Peter, Paul, and Mary did a cover of Blowing in the Wind. Blowing in the Wind was written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan. It was on his Freewheelin Bob Dylan. I love Bob Dylan, how about you? What's your favorite Dylan Album? It would be tough for me to name one. If I had to I'd probably have to go with Blood on the Tracks. It was a transitional period of Dylan's life and I think it showed in his music. Have you ever seen Dylan live? I was fortunate enough to catch him in the early 80's when he was still somewhat coherent. I saw him a few years back at the Murat, and time has taken its toll. He never was a great musician, but I don't think anyone, even you can argue there's ever been a better songwriter. Though I would say John Prine certainly has to be in the conversation. Where do you stand with John Prine? I'm going to be honest, if you're not a John Prine fan, I will probably be forced to end our budding friendship right here right now. Anyone who doesn't like John Prine just isn't right.
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
slapperdad

Next

Return to IN