Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

IN

2015 High School Ball

by Kidcanhit02 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:55 am

Guru, regarding the 33-0 win by Owen Valley. We have covered extreme but kickings in depth but before throwing out an insult like jacka$$ you should know the facts.

1. I am a colleague and friend of the OV coach. She is not a jacka$$. In fact she is a class-act coach and a great person.

2. The OV team played Dugger (Union) as a favor as Dugger was having issues scheduling enough games this season.

3. The Dugger coach SPECIFICALLY asked the OV coach NOT to do anything to get out on purpose. He went on to demand that his girls get outs as they need the experience because they were so young.

4. OV stopped stealing bases in the 1st inning and put ALL SUBS in from the 2nd inning on.

5. The Dugger and OV coach remain friends and have a ton of respect for each other.

I completely understand how someone would, on the surface, think this was one jerk coach running up a score but I assure you this was not the case. I only respond as I do not like someone calling a friend a name like jacka$$ for the whole softball world to read.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sftballguru » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:27 am

Respect your opinion and friendship with Coach, but no matter the circumstance that is ridiculous! Why not take your JV team to play them "as a favor?" No matter what the other Coach says I think best not to completely embarrass the other team. Is the Dugger Coach trying to get everyone on the team to quit?
sftballguru

by Kidcanhit02 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:07 am

By putting their subs in they were putting in the "JV" team.

Your opinion, guru, is noted, please just keep the name calling out of it.
Kidcanhit02
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TiredNbroke » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:22 am

Can someone tell me how many games a player is permitted play during a regular season? And does playing 2 innings constitute "a game" played? And does this # include sectional play?
TiredNbroke

by slapperdad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 am

28 games, or 26 games and a tournament. I believe there is a memo somewhere that allows 24 and two tournaments, 22 and three tournaments, etc.

I would have to verify, but as I understand it, if you enter the game, you played a game. Courtesy runners are not considered to have entered the game, although pinch runners have. That is how we track games and I don't use pinch runners unless they have games to burn.

This has got to be the most abused rule in Softball. I don't think coaches track it. I've seen schools play a full V/JV schedule with 17 kids on their roster, their starting SS will pitch in the JV game, things like that. Half their V players start and play the whole JV game.

The ICGSA is working to come up with some kind of compromise. Ultimately the goal is for schools to fill teams, however I don't feel like it's wise for a 14 year old freshman to be playing 50 games in a month and a half either.

This rule applies to regular season only. There is not count during the tournament series.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:37 pm

C77fastpitch wrote:How about those Auburn Tigers with Clint Myers- number 3, and Michigan back up to number 5. The old coaches are still winning!!!! It must be the triple-Pitch?
High School Softball:
a) Skill Growth
b) Coaching
c) Staying Healthy
d) Luck

Points of Interest: High School Softball
1) Pitching: The Change-up not developed enough; Rise ball not developed at all.
2) Hitting: Letting too many good pitches go by; Not enough good slappers
3) Defense: Playing as a unit; Moving with the pitch

Patrick Murphy showing no respect for his elders.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by slapperdad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:20 am

C77 the IHSAA already has mandatory coach's training protocol in place. It was set to take effect July 1 of this year. The state legislature in their infinite wisdom has decided to the get in on the act as well. Not sure where the bill is, or if it has been buried. So in an effort to get out in front of this, the IHSAA has a proposal on the table that will trump the legislative bill and hopefully head it off and keep the legislature out of the mix. The thinking here is that the IHSAA has a better idea how coaches should be trained than the legislature does.

I don't have time to go into all the specifics, but the gist of it is, ALL coaches, not just head coaches would have to go thru heat training, concussion training, which is already standard fare in most school systems. The real rub is that now coaches would have to also have sport specific training. The key here is everything to this point has been provided free of charge by the NFHS. The sport specific stuff is NOT free. These videos are fairly expensive to produce and the NFHS has to recoup their costs. These classes at this point are in the 50-70 dollar range. Now I get it, so what it's 50-70 bucks. But who's paying for it? Elkart Memorial was used as an example to our group, they have 170 coaches, that's over 10K. Many of these coaches are volunteer coaches, and we're going to add insult to injury and say aside from not getting paid, you have to fork over 60 bucks for mandatory training?

Specifically to the sport of Softball, we have a large number of lay coaches, who quite frankly are doing well to just get a lineup filled out before the game. This proposal would add a whole other layer of complexity to the situation. This data would have to be tracked, policed, and funded.

I point blank made the statement at the meeting, "we need to pass this proposal, just because. We don't know how to fund it, we don't know how it's going to be managed. We don't know how it's going to be policed. And we don't know how it's going to be paid for. Is that the gist of it at this point?" The answer was yes.

Personally I'm fine with it, at Seymour we will be fine, the school will most likely pay for it, if not my staff can pay out of pocket, or whatever. We have can take the hit. My concern is what about schools and coaching staffs who can't?

The point of this post, is while I understand C77 beating the education drum, and I'm not opposed to that. But this proposal is not the answer. Please advise your principal to vote against Proposal #5.
Every man lives by a code:
1.Always look cool
2.Never get lost
3.If you get lost, look cool
slapperdad

by maysm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:42 am

Nevermind, I found it.
maysm

Previous

Return to IN